SiouxSports.com Forum

Momentum or "prove the world wrong"

Upper Deck

the sioux and wolverines have top notch talent all over the ice. the X factor is jpar who is 13-4 in postseason games in his career and i believe he is the top goaile in the tourney right now. we all know you need a hot goiale and i feel jpar is on his game. GO SIOUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Agreed. If Parise is on, UND probably only needs to score 3 goals to ensure a win. That's awfully comforting, especially to me, who just watched his team lose after scoring 7 freaking goals... :D

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I hate the dynamic duo....

Potulny could make the NHL in much the same way as Bochenski did. He wasn't, and still isn't that great of a skater. However, after lighting up the AHL, you can't argue with that shot. I think the same could work for Potulny, if he puts in the effort.

Both Potulny and Irmen are undersized forwards when it comes to the NHL. 6 Foot and 190 plus pounds just isn't big enough unless you have skills to burn. They are both rated at 6.5 B which means they have the potential to make it but aren't expected to play on anything but the third line.

Zajac and Stafford are rated at 7.0 B which means they will play on the 2nd or 3rd line. They are both 6 foot 2 and 200 plus pounds which means they are more likely to be able to handle the long season. They are also both 1 year younger than Irmen and Potulny and are on schedule to play in the AHL in their 20th year. Irmen and Potulny are a year behind most of their peers that are going to play pro hockey somewhere.

The four I things I looked at from last weekend were this. Gophs never had a lead all weekend, Gophs had eight goals scored on them in one game, they were at home, and the Sioux won this tourney with out Drew. That is not the kind of momentum you want coming into a regional, much less a regional in Grand Forks. If I were a gopher fan, I must remind you of a certain Denver team that beat the the "Siouxpermen" two years ago in Colorado and ended up with all the marbles. Oh yea, the WCHA title anchor you picked a couple weeks ago is not going to help the golden cause either. I would have to argue that the physcial and mental grind to bring a conference title home does take a toll and we may have witnessed some fallout last weeknd from the Gophs effort. I pick momentum and the SIOUX.

I don't think the Gophers were really trying to win the WCHA Title. With Sconny collapsing, and ND coming on from so far back, it just kind happened. If you read Lucia's comments on it, he really does not care about the regular season title - so I do not buy they worn out by the grind. Minnesota's season was just as long as everyone elses.

I will buy into them taking SCSU way to lightly combined with not having much competition at the end of the season (UMD, and 4 games of AA) allowed them to breeze through games, and not be sharp. I have never seen them play with heart in a 3rd place game, so I was not shocked at that either.

So for the weekend, I see MN beating HC, with ND using the home ice to beat Mich.

I hope my club wins sat night, but it should be a great game. See you there.

I don't think the Gophers were really trying to win the WCHA Title. With Sconny collapsing, and ND coming on from so far back, it just kind happened. If you read Lucia's comments on it, he really does not care about the regular season title - so I do not buy they worn out by the grind. Minnesota's season was just as long as everyone elses.

I couldn't agree more. They kind of won it by accident. It was NEVER a goal of theirs, but they just kept winning and it happened. All year long this team has been focused on these next four games, period.

If I was a gopher fan (echo the gratitude that I'm not) I doubt I'd be all that upset about Friday but upset about not responding on Sat. Sure, there were some big mistakes made by the gopher team, but they also showed a ton of heart and resilience to claw their way back. D and goaltending let them down in the end.

I realize the faithful say Saturday didn't mean anything, but I just can buy that in this situation. IMO, the landscape on Friday night changed when MN realized how it had let that game get away from them.

They had 1 game before the playoffs become life or death to get back on track and they played uninterested and flawed hockey against a good team.

Sure, the Holy Cross game will be a practice game for them, but if it was my team, I'd have wanted to see a better effort on Saturday to build some confidence for this week.

No, I think Saturday was more important than they let on.

Now, next weekend could come and the MN team that played at a very high level this 2nd half might be back, complete with not just an offense, but solid D and solid goaltending. If so, they will be hard to beat, and this weekend will quickly be forgotten.

I just don't know if it can be that easy.

You guys don't need to worry so much about the Gophers. They will be ready and put out a great effort. Just going back to last season, they came out and played great vs. Maine and Cornell in the regional after two disappointing efforts/losses at the X.

The Gophers are a dangerous team, but they are not in the same class as their recent championship teams. They give up lots of shots and Briggs is a guy who isn't usually going to lose the game for them, but he isn't going to steal any wins either. They have little or no physical game, but they didn't show a physical game until the Michigan semifinal in '02 either.

The wins had been piling up primarily due to Ryan Potulny, but the Gophers have had a bad habit of giving up lots of goals to non-descript offenses like Tech, AA and now SCSU/UW.

The trick for the Gophers will be to score five goals in the regional final and take their chances that the opposition can't match them. They will need a goal or two from either the Guyer line or the fourth line and the power play can't take the night off.

If I'm UND fan I'd be very happy that no one else in the regional can match Parise and that they have home ice.

I think the Holy Cross game will be a lot better indication of where the Gophers are at than the UW game. CC struggled all game with Wayne St. in '03, got beat the next day. Same with UND and HC in '04. Last year it was BC and Mercyhurst. DU and Michigan have survived struggling with the CHA/AHA foe, but they were coming in off conference tourney championships.

. . . .

The trick for the Gophers will be to score five goals in the regional final and take their chances that the opposition can't match them.

. . . .

C'mon Sagard. There you go again. Overlooking another game, and another opponent. You are smarter than that, and know that in playoff hockey, anything can, and often does, happen.

C'mon Sagard. There you go again. Overlooking another game, and another opponent. You are smarter than that, and know that in playoff hockey, anything can, and often does, happen.

I doubt the Gophs are looking past Holy Cross based of Lucia's comments Monday. Myself, I have no problem looking past them due to not having to dress against them. If the Gophs lose to HC they probably weren't going to get past the Michigan/UND winner either.

Right now it's just more fun assuming the Gophs and UND will win.

The Bochenski/ Potulny comparison actually is pretty decent, and the point made well received. Bucks lit it up in the AHL skating with Spezza and even had a hat trick when he got called up to the show, but he hasn't had more than a cup of coffee despite all this. Welcome to big time hockey, if you aren't heavily invested in, it doesn't matter what you do at the AHL level. Look at Westrum, another great example. Size and skating get you a number one pick, and a number one pick gets you to the show. Unfair or not, that's the way it is.

Potulny and Irmen lesser players than Stafford and Zajac? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. New Jersey and Buffalo would probably disagree with you too. I will give props to Potulny for having an outstanding goal scoring year, but two or three years down the road Potulny will have hanged them up, Irmen will be kicking around in Houston, while Stafford and Zajac are flying first class in the NHL.

quote-yzerman19 "Irmen and Potulny are good college players and have outscored a lot of team's top two lines combined, but I'd take Stafford and Zajac over them any day, and the guys who get paid to seek out talent said the same by investing more heavily in them and drafting them in the first round. After MN's top gun line, they don't really have much left though do they? Wheeler, Kessel and Stoa? I'll take Oshie, Toews and Duncan. They've certainly scored a lot more goals this year."

I don't think New Jersey or Buffalo would disagree actually. Did it ever occur to you that some players may develop more than others between the time they are drafted and the time they head to the NHL? After a recent Gopher a game, a New Jersey Devil rep was asked by New Jerseys scout what he thought of Irmen's play. He answered "Make any trade you have to, to get him." Now I could be narrow minded but when I hear "any trade" that means ANYONE. Trade Brian Gionta for Danny Irmen. Trade Scott Gomez for Danny Irmen. It sounds like they think pretty highly of him. Obviously your a sioux fan but I can't even begin to believe that you would take any sioux forward over Kessel. Kessel isn't leading the Gophers in scoring and he outscores every Sioux player.

Need I remind you that Martin St. Louis went undrafted. That's right, players that are not drafted in the first round can also make great careers for themselves. Have you ever heard of a guy name Ed Olczyk? He was the 2nd rated prospect in the world the year his good friend Mario Lemieux was rated number one. Ed was drafted second and didn't get much more than a sniff in the NHL. Actually, when he was traded to New York the coach told him, "You might not play a shift all year, but your going to havea role on this team". Amazing how that works huh? I guess your draft number doesn't really tell the whole tale now does it?

So does the Don kick the Sioux out of their dressing room this weekend? Has anybody heard any comments about this?

The Don would never take the Sioux's locker room. He's not stupid enough to provide them with that extra motivation. I think there are something like 14 locker rooms in the arena so the basic visiting locker room that they usually use will suit Lucia just fine.

While I certainly would prefer not to have the Gophers entering this weekend following their play in the Final Five, it's a bit premature to discount them due to one bad weekend out of their past 10.

That said I think UND should be considered as much of a favorite as anyone, although they potentially have one of the toughest routes to the title game.

Eddie O a sniff in the NHL? The guy had like a 350 goal career in the NHL. That's a little more than a sniff. Yes there are individual examples such as Martin St Louis who make it, and there are first round busts. The bottom line for a hockey exec is to weigh the costs with the benefits. The costs to sign a first rounder are a lot bigger and are sunk. Might as well get some work out of someone you've already paid a lot. Kessel as the best player is still a joke. There are a number of players on several teams that are better players than Phil Kessel. Jack Johnson of Michigan who is coming to the Ralph is one. I can't dispute Kessel as a good player, he is. I give Irmen and Potulny props too. Facts are Facts, however, and the scouts know the business better than we do. Anyone for Irmen is ridiculous. Anyone in the minors is probably more appropriate.

The Don would never take the Sioux's locker room. He's not stupid enough to provide them with that extra motivation. I think there are something like 14 locker rooms in the arena so the basic visiting locker room that they usually use will suit Lucia just fine.

A really good point BS. I was wondering what the NCAA might try order on this front, but I suspect that it is a non-issue now with the Sioux in play, and with BS's point well made.

Had the Sioux stumbled and fell -- never a possibility in my mind -- maybe this would be dabatable.

Two things:

1. Say what you will about Don Lucia, but I DOUBT he'd kick the Sioux out of their own dressing room. Yeah, he has every right to do it under the rules, but I doubt he'd show that sort of classlessness. If he's truly a standup kind of a coach, the Sioux won't switch locker rooms.

2. This whole debate with Potulny, Irman, Zajac, and Stafford is just flat out stupid. Why is it a bad thing if Potulny and Irman make the NHL like it is implied? Why can't we be happy that these guys came and played NCAA hockey instead of toiling away in the cesspool of Major Juniors and we got to watch them, even though they may not be "your kind of players" on "your team?" I am as big of a detractor as anyone when it comes to Vanek, but I'm not going to tell you that I hope that 5 years down the road, Vanek gets dumped on his butt by Buffalo. I don't like the guy, but I wish him the best. I don't like Potulny and Irman, but I wish them the best as well whether they return next year or not.

Both Potulny and Irmen are undersized forwards when it comes to the NHL. 6 Foot and 190 plus pounds just isn't big enough unless you have skills to burn. They are both rated at 6.5 B which means they have the potential to make it but aren't expected to play on anything but the third line.

Zajac and Stafford are rated at 7.0 B which means they will play on the 2nd or 3rd line. They are both 6 foot 2 and 200 plus pounds which means they are more likely to be able to handle the long season. They are also both 1 year younger than Irmen and Potulny and are on schedule to play in the AHL in their 20th year. Irmen and Potulny are a year behind most of their peers that are going to play pro hockey somewhere.

Irmen has abilities that you can't teach. That same sight says "Aggressive, sleek skating forward. Has good size and very good hands. Very good with or without the puck. Can create offense on his own or create it for his teammates". Apparently they think he has good size. You make the 6.5b rating sound like a death sentence. In any case, that rating is speculative. On another note these players profiles have not been updated since first put on the site. You would think that they might have a better insight into how they are going to be in the NHL after a few more years don't you think? On that site it also mentions how Stafford looks to be on the thin side, but you didn't want to say anything about that. Just to put the whole thing in prospective- Kris Chucko is rated at 7.0b and the number one prospect for Calgary. It then later says, the NHL is a long way off for Chucko.

Irmen has abilities that you can't teach. That same sight says "Aggressive, sleek skating forward. Has good size and very good hands. Very good with or without the puck. Can create offense on his own or create it for his teammates". Apparently they think he has good size. You make the 6.5b rating sound like a death sentence. In any case, that rating is speculative. On another note these players profiles have not been updated since first put on the site. You would think that they might have a better insight into how they are going to be in the NHL after a few more years don't you think? On that site it also mentions how Stafford looks to be on the thin side, but you didn't want to say anything about that. Just to put the whole thing in prospective- Kris Chucko is rated at 7.0b and the number one prospect for Calgary. It then later says, the NHL is a long way off for Chucko.

Hockeysfuture Ratings are neat, but they aren't the end all say all.

As for size, 6' isn't much anymore. In fact, with the new rules, size isn't going to be as important anymore. Besides, you have guys like Rafalski, Parise, St. Louis, and so on who are definitely not 6' or bigger and they are doing fine.

I wish Potulny and Irmen all the best too. I am just trying to get the point across about how it takes more than a good season in college hockey to make it to the show. There are examples both ways as discussed, Jason Blake makes it while Brian Bonnin doesn't, Paul Martin makes it while Mike Crowley doesn't, etc. etc. When I say make it, I am refering to skating a regular shift in the NHL. A seasoned scout sees so much more than the average fan. How is this kids foot work, away from the puck, while getting ridden by a d man into the corner? How many goals scored would've been goals scored playing against NHL caliber defense and NHL caliber goaltending. A guy might score 38 goals, but his release might be poor, or he might have a gorgeous playmaker with him that might mean that only a handful were NHL caliber goals. COnversely, a guy might only score 15 goals, but 12 of them were with a lightening release with two defensemen all over him. It is a judgement call, and pro scouts make a lot of money for their judgment calls. I don't dispute enjoying Potulny in college, and the fact that NCAA is getting closer to the caliber of CHL play.

Eddie O a sniff in the NHL? The guy had like a 350 goal career in the NHL. That's a little more than a sniff. Yes there are individual examples such as Martin St Louis who make it, and there are first round busts. The bottom line for a hockey exec is to weigh the costs with the benefits. The costs to sign a first rounder are a lot bigger and are sunk. Might as well get some work out of someone you've already paid a lot. Kessel as the best player is still a joke. There are a number of players on several teams that are better players than Phil Kessel. Jack Johnson of Michigan who is coming to the Ralph is one. I can't dispute Kessel as a good player, he is. I give Irmen and Potulny props too. Facts are Facts, however, and the scouts know the business better than we do. Anyone for Irmen is ridiculous. Anyone in the minors is probably more appropriate.

The scouts do know the buisness far better than we do. Maybe we should look for the New Jersey executive who said anyone for Irmen and you can give him a lesson or two. The bottom line for a hockey exec is to get their team to the playoffs. They are not going to continue to play a lesser player just because they should "get some work out of someone they've already paid alot". And if that means telling your best center that he's gonna have to find a new team because Irmen is coming, that's what he's going to do.

Kessel was rookie of the year right? Two years from now I hope the NHL all star game is close to home, I'd like to be front row center when Phil lines up for the opening face off.

Drew Stafford = Great player I would like to have on my team

Travis Zajac = Great player I would like to have on my team

Danny Irmen = Great player I would like to have on my team

Ryan Potulmy = Great player I would like to have on my team

Phil Kessel = Great player I would like to have on my team

The scouts do know the buisness far better than we do. Maybe we should look for the New Jersey executive who said anyone for Irmen and you can give him a lesson or two. The bottom line for a hockey exec is to get their team to the playoffs. They are not going to continue to play a lesser player just because they should "get some work out of someone they've already paid alot". And if that means telling your best center that he's gonna have to find a new team because Irmen is coming, that's what he's going to do.

Kessel was rookie of the year right? Two years from now I hope the NHL all star game is close to home, I'd like to be front row center when Phil lines up for the opening face off.

And if I were Irman, I'd be cozying up to that NJ exec in the hopes of getting his rights traded away from the dark abyss known as the Minnesota Wild franchise.

I wish Potulny and Irmen all the best too. I am just trying to get the point across about how it takes more than a good season in college hockey to make it to the show.

Yet you have no problem already punching a ticket to the NHL for Zajac and Stafford - players that haven't themselves done anything more in college than Irmen and Potulny?