SiouxSports.com Forum

Want to own a newspaper?

jimdahl

i'm pretty sure the forum cannot buy the herald because of fcc rules. the current relationship with wday/forum was grandfathered in... but recently the fcc passed a ruling saying a tv station and a newspaper in a town cannot be owned by the same company.

there was brief talk about north dakota television (kvly, kx4, kmot and kfyr) buying the herald as a way to gain more viewers in the upper part of the valley... but fcc rules fobid it.

• 2 weeks later...
i'm pretty sure the forum cannot buy the herald because of fcc rules. the current relationship with wday/forum was grandfathered in... but recently the fcc passed a ruling saying a tv station and a newspaper in a town cannot be owned by the same company.

there was brief talk about north dakota television (kvly, kx4, kmot and kfyr) buying the herald as a way to gain more viewers in the upper part of the valley... but fcc rules fobid it.

Forum Communications is apparently quite interested in buying the Herald. link.

• 1 month later...

Forum Communications to tour Herald today

Forum Communications, which owns 27 daily and weekly newspapers in the Dakotas, Minnesota and Wisconsin, expressed interest in buying the Herald, the Duluth News Tribune and Aberdeen American News in South Dakota in March. The company, which owns The Forum newspaper in Fargo, also lists several television and radio stations in its holdings, including WDAY-TV in Fargo and WDAZ-TV in Grand Forks.
Another bidder that has confirmed interest in the Herald is Yucaipa Cos., an investment firm supported by the Newspaper Guild
William Dean Singleton, CEO of MediaNews, has said that he is interested in purchasing some of the remaining McClatchy papers, but he has not confirmed which ones.

• 4 weeks later...

Does this mean that Mike Jacobs and Tom Dennis have to put their green and white pom-poms in storage? Is this the end of Ryan Bakken columns slamming NDSU? Will the Herald now become NDSU's second biggest cheerleader?

The world wonders...

Does this mean that Mike Jacobs and Tom Dennis have to put their green and white pom-poms in storage? Is this the end of Ryan Bakken columns slamming NDSU? Will the Herald now become NDSU's second biggest cheerleader?

The world wonders...

What's on everyone's mind is will we get straight reporting on UND now? My guess is that nothing will change. I would like to see a name change "The UND Herald" - Might as well start out honest. :D

I would like to see a name change "The UND Herald" - Might as well start out honest. :D

I want it to be the UND Fighting Sioux Herald. PC be damn@d. UND Herald has a German conotation that given the posts in another thread wouldn't be as readily accepted.

Grand Forks should be elated with the news of The Forum's purchase of The Herald; the Marcil family is very conscious of "community" in all of its connotations. The Herald could not have asked for better ownership once the Knight-Ridder die was cast.

Grand Forks should be elated with the news of The Forum's purchase of The Herald; the Marcil family is very conscious of "community" in all of its connotations. The Herald could not have asked for better ownership once the Knight-Ridder die was cast.

Can't argue with this. I mean, which other newspaper in the world would bury National and international news on a regular basis behind community news such as "Hanneford Woman buys new cow. Woman says 'WHOOPEE!'"

Seriously, the Foolum is so assbackwards it's not even funny.

I really doubt the population of NoDak and northwestern Minnesota will be served well by two papers run by the same management. I used to read both papers' online editions regularly after I left the state, and thought the Fraud was much closer to a weekly shopper than tabloid. Then again, the Hurled's finest moments passed in 1997.

• 3 months later...
More consolidated local coverage would result in less local coverage, meaning a smaller news staff needed on the ground in G.F. There are a whole lot of stories duplicated between the two that could be consolidated (major local college athletics, for example). I think a WDAZ/Y style split for newspapers would be a big negative as it reduced original newspaper coverage for the Valley, but it certainly could be profitable for Forum Comm.
I did notice in both the leadup to this weekend's football game, and in today's coverage of the result, the online Herald and Forum have the same single articles written by Wayne Nelson. On one site he's referred to as Herald writer, on the other Forum Comm. Co. Looks like the Forum has already begun shifting toward just running the Herald-written stories for its UND coverage. :D

I did notice in both the leadup to this weekend's football game, and in today's coverage of the result, the online Herald and Forum have the same single articles written by Wayne Nelson. On one site he's referred to as Herald writer, on the other Forum Comm. Co. Looks like the Forum has already begun shifting toward just running the Herald-written stories for its UND coverage. :D

What's wrong with that? If you were a Sioux fan living in Fargo, which would you rather read in your Sunday paper -- a story written by a Grand Forks-based reporter who follows the team every day or a wire service version written by a reporter who lives in the "away" city, in this case, Cedar Falls, Iowa?

What's wrong with that? If you were a Sioux fan living in Fargo, which would you rather read in your Sunday paper -- a story written by a Grand Forks-based reporter who follows the team every day or a wire service version written by a reporter who lives in the "away" city, in this case, Cedar Falls, Iowa?

At least with hockey, what is wrong with that is Brad could get pushed out and Terry reassigned to other things. Neither of which I want to happen as both Elliot and Vandro do an impeccable job.

I'm also wary of not having the other perspective. McKnucklehead is a Teamsters tool but I appreciate that he is paid to write down his thoughts. Controversy strengthens the resolve.