SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's Hockey

supersioux

Women's Hockey  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Is this program going in the right direction

• Yes
    • No

Drama and backbiting can wreck an entire season, even with the best players in the country. I hope it isn't beginning already.

A team can still win with a crap coach- case in point, the 2004 Olympic Women's Soccer team- April Heinrichs was the worst coach in USWNT history, and the likes of Mia Hamm, Brandi Chastain, Joy Fawcett, Kristine Lilly and Julie Foudy still won Olympic Gold.

Edited to add- the only person that I am saying is a crap coach with this post is April Heinrichs.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't heard to many good things about the women's hockey coach over the years, to bad, everybody had high hopes/expectations when she first came here a few years back. This is her last season at UND? I hadn't heard that. If indeed it is her last season, whoever takes over the coaching job, I hope they can turn the program around. The better the team, the more the wins............the more the wins, the higher the attendance etc etc.

Haven't heard to many good things about the women's hockey coach over the years, to bad, everybody had high hopes/expectations when she first came here a few years back. This is her last season at UND? I hadn't heard that. If indeed it is her last season, whoever takes over the coaching job, I hope they can turn the program around. The better the team, the more the wins............the more the wins, the higher the attendance etc etc.

I don't know if it will be Rivard's last year here. I really don't know if many of us really have the true story about what is actually going on.

I really think a lot of the expectations regarding the men's team spilled over to the women's team. The men started tasting success about 5 years after turning DI. The women's team doesn't appear to be that lucky and I don't think many people are being very patient with the women's team.

On the flip side of that, how patient can one afford to be when success usually directly corresponds with an increase in revenue? If Rivard isn't getting the results (which she hasn't, good coaching or not), then I'm not sure how long Buning can afford to wait until replacing her. If this is her last year of her contract, then we'll see what Buning thinks after the season, I'd surmise.

I don't know if it will be Rivard's last year here. I really don't know if many of us really have the true story about what is actually going on.

I really think a lot of the expectations regarding the men's team spilled over to the women's team. The men started tasting success about 5 years after turning DI. The women's team doesn't appear to be that lucky and I don't think many people are being very patient with the women's team.

On the flip side of that, how patient can one afford to be when success usually directly corresponds with an increase in revenue? If Rivard isn't getting the results (which she hasn't, good coaching or not), then I'm not sure how long Buning can afford to wait until replacing her. If this is her last year of her contract, then we'll see what Buning thinks after the season, I'd surmise.

I always thought that UND coaches were typically on one-year contracts, with Lennon's extension last year being the exception? Anyone know for sure?

redwing77,

When you have this many players just up and leave the women's hockey program (along with assistant coaches), there is something seriously wrong. If this team doesn't show at least an incremental improvement in their won-loss record this season, I think Rivard is gone. The way I look at it, if she complains even once about not having any "Olympians", I think she should be gone! ;):silly:

From NCAA womens hockey report

"North Dakota, which graduated the first recruited class in the program's history, welcomes 11 freshmen -- which should give you an idea of the challenge faced by coach Shantel Rivard. But the Fighting Sioux do return their top scorers in sophomores Melissa Jacques (Cooks Creek, Minn.) and Samantha Bowers (Littleton, Colo.), while junior Randi Motsko (Fairbanks, Alaska) is expected to show significant improvement at forward."

While I view this season as another "growing" season, I still have faith in the program. This is only it's 5th season. We can't expect them to already have 7 banners hanging. All it takes is 1 or 2 good seasons (I would consider that a winning season), land a couple impact recruits, and this team could be nationally competative.

The best way that we as fans can help the team achieve this is to show up to games and show our support.

From NCAA womens hockey report

"North Dakota, which graduated the first recruited class in the program's history, welcomes 11 freshmen -- which should give you an idea of the challenge faced by coach Shantel Rivard. But the Fighting Sioux do return their top scorers in sophomores Melissa Jacques (Cooks Creek, Minn.) and Samantha Bowers (Littleton, Colo.), while junior Randi Motsko (Fairbanks, Alaska) is expected to show significant improvement at forward."

Another spin on a continued play of words. The leading scorers left the team along with a whole lot of other people. As far as being able to use the Olympian excuse she will use many of her others that she has used. The only way this program can go in the right direction is to hire a qualified coach.

I can't give you a link for this or directly name a source, for obvious reasons, but I am hearing that the locker room atmosphere and attitude is much improved this year. I have been told that there were issues between some of the older skaters who were part of the program startup and the newer skaters. Hopefully, if true, this will translate into better on-ice results.

While I view this season as another "growing" season, I still have faith in the program. This is only it's 5th season. We can't expect them to already have 7 banners hanging. All it takes is 1 or 2 good seasons (I would consider that a winning season), land a couple impact recruits, and this team could be nationally competative.

The best way that we as fans can help the team achieve this is to show up to games and show our support.

dakotadan,

I don't think anyone has suggested that this team should be hanging banners yet. All anyone wants is some (any!) evidence that the team is getting better or that there is some hope for the future. Maybe this crop of freshmen will be the catalyst; the sooner the better. More off the ice problems will only scare top recruits away, which is what will get us to the next level (read: championships).

My main problem with Rivard is that she sets low expectations for the team; and then the team invariably lives up (or down in this case) to those expectations. All that talk about not having any Olympians just reinforces the idea that the players can't compete with other teams and most certainly can't win. That is the wrong mentality to have if you want to be competitive, which is the first step to winning. Teams take on the personality of their head coach. Rivard has not been sending the right messages through the media and that is part of the problem. Set high standards for the players and they will work hard to achieve those standards. Eventually, they will get there. That is how Blais turned around a dormant men's program in the mid-1990's in such a short period of time and that is how Rivard can build a solid foundation for the women's program. If this team can show signs of that this season, I say give Rivard another chance. If not, it might be time for a change.

Nearly time to drop the puck. I'd like to see the Sioux take it to RPI in that NC action coming up. RPI being another program making the jump to D-I very recently. I'll always root for the WCHA team in a East / West matchup. RPI did surprise many last season having better results than expected.

I would urge UND fans not to get to down on the team if results aren't great. This really should be the most competitive WCHA season yet. SCSU and MSU-M likely putting their best teams ever on the ice this season...possibly BSU as well. I genuinely believe it's the strongest the WCHA has ever been top to bottom.

I can't give you a link for this or directly name a source, for obvious reasons, but I am hearing that the locker room atmosphere and attitude is much improved this year. I have been told that there were issues between some of the older skaters who were part of the program startup and the newer skaters. Hopefully, if true, this will translate into better on-ice results.

There was a news release a while back about one of the local radio stations broadcasting the women's home games. Does anyone know what station that might be?

Thanks in advance!

Per the first two, it is nice to see some positive support around here and those who appear to be more plugged into the truth than others propose they are. Let us put it all aside and see what happens this year. With plenty of support, who knows what'll happen.

Per fightingsiouxfan57, the games will be on 1440 AM. I have yet to hear who will be calling the games.

Go Sioux!

Per the first two, it is nice to see some positive support around here and those who appear to be more plugged into the truth than others propose they are. Let us put it all aside and see what happens this year. With plenty of support, who knows what'll happen.

Per fightingsiouxfan57, the games will be on 1440 AM. I have yet to hear who will be calling the games.

Go Sioux!

I realize being positve is nice and all,

BUT,

Rivard already has screwed things up with her micromanaging mencia.

She must have never had a good head coach to work under.

When she runs a practice it is alway bad, fustrating, and unorganized.

her speaches are a joke, she couldn't motivate a rock to roll down hill.

and The new assistants just are not there in the program yet to really stop her.

not to metion the new assistant has no expirence except for playing.

The New top scorers (the ones who have not yet quit) are not far away from quiting if this is not

her last season. The new members are talented but already fustrated with her and her lack of leadership,

and her inability to see what is going on in her enviroment.

No matter how the team does this season, if BUning does not get rid of her

God help all sioux fans.

These Women deserve better!

I'm not going to argue with most of what you say, but people can support a program while still being critical of the coach. I have no first hand knowledge of the women's program, so this is a generic statement rather than any sort of indictment.

Attended tonight's game. Don't know a lot about womens hockey and have a hard time clearing the comparisons from boys/mens hockey to the girls/womens but do know hustle and hard work and I saw both tonight. Things started a little slow letting Manitoba go up by 2, lots of penalties. Sioux seemed to lose a little after they skated off the first 5 on 3 and it took a while for them to get it back. Motzko looks like the real deal and Jenny Porter, sharing the name and #24 as Chris Porter, seems to have a lot of grit and then turned into the female incarnation of Chris with the same move to the net and even a little jump to her step as she takes off down the ice, resulted in one goal and drew a penalty on another attempt at it. If the Manitoba womens team is like the mens, it's a nice tune up game but the Sioux will have to really stoke up the fire before they play RPI or anyone else.

Hockey Mom, was that you two rows behind the Sioux bench with the Hockey Family?