SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's Hockey

supersioux

Women's Hockey  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Is this program going in the right direction

• Yes
    • No

Come on now, dont start hatin on me just because i am truthful...i would guess that the majority of the people in this town feel the same way...they just wont come on here and say it

Truthful in your opinion or do you actually have facts to back up a broad generalization like putting words into the people of Grand Forks' mouth?

Like Women's hockey or not, that's your choice, but saying more than just yourself dislike women's hockey when you truly don't have the facts to back it up is something else entirely. Don't put words in other people's mouthes. You'll make more friends if you don't.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question I have is why does anyone who doesn't like women's hockey take the time to post in a women's hockey thread? You don't like the game...fine. Don't bother yourself with reading or posting in the thread. Unless your motive is to somehow belittle fans who do enjoy the game, the athletes or whomever...like your average four year old might enjoy doing.

The question I have is why does anyone who doesn't like women's hockey take the time to post in a women's hockey thread? You don't like the game...fine. Don't bother yourself with reading or posting in the thread. Unless your motive is to somehow belittle fans who do enjoy the game, the athletes or whomever...like your average four year old might enjoy doing.

Good question. But as he says, don't "be hatin'" on him because he's simply the dually elected spokesperson from Grand Forks on the matter of Women's Hockey and its future as well as popularity. :love:

Seriously-

Have a daughter that starts playing hockey and you'll become a fan. I dunno, I think that there is something kinda cool about the avatar taking a pic of her favorite player out of the middle of a program and sticking it up on the glass during the game.......even if I did sit back and laugh at her.

Maybe it's because when I was young we had no female athletes to look up to.......now they do.

I guess the bottom line is........little girls can become anything they want to, so don't get in my daughters way, she'll slam you into the boards and look back and laugh when you fall down into a heap on the ice. Believe me, I'll be laughing too.

Seriously-

Have a daughter that starts playing hockey and you'll become a fan. I dunno, I think that there is something kinda cool about the avatar taking a pic of her favorite player out of the middle of a program and sticking it up on the glass during the game.......even if I did sit back and laugh at her.

Maybe it's because when I was young we had no female athletes to look up to.......now they do.

I guess the bottom line is........little girls can become anything they want to, so don't get in my daughters way, she'll slam you into the boards and look back and laugh when you fall down into a heap on the ice. Believe me, I'll be laughing too.

Im sorry mam but your argument isnt holding any water. I actually have a younger sister who is very involved in hockey, and i encourage her to keep playing. My point is that this program has had a few years to develop now and it isnt going anywhere. Their record isnt really improving any and neither is the attendance. The last think i would like to comment on, is your threatening remarks about your daughter slamming me into the boards. Not only is this uncalled for but it is also quite laughable...I challenge your daughter to slam me into the boards and look back and laugh when i fall into a heap on the ice. Quite frankly, i dont see this happening any time soon...sorry

Im sorry mam but your argument isnt holding any water. I actually have a younger sister who is very involved in hockey, and i encourage her to keep playing. My point is that this program has had a few years to develop now and it isnt going anywhere. Their record isnt really improving any and neither is the attendance. The last think i would like to comment on, is your threatening remarks about your daughter slamming me into the boards. Not only is this uncalled for but it is also quite laughable...I challenge your daughter to slam me into the boards and look back and laugh when i fall into a heap on the ice. Quite frankly, i dont see this happening any time soon...sorry

If we get a coach with a different style then I think the program takes off and does well. I am waiting for that to happen. I along with many others on this board enjoy going to the games. You are entitled to your opinion but please don't put words in other people's mouths. Especially when you havent talked to any of them. Just because you dislike the program doesnt mean that everyone on this board does. As for the avatar checking you into the boards, I don't doubt that she would certainly try and quite possibly succeed at it. She is a tough one.

The last think i would like to comment on, is your threatening remarks about your daughter slamming me into the boards. Not only is this uncalled for but it is also quite laughable...I challenge your daughter to slam me into the boards and look back and laugh when i fall into a heap on the ice. Quite frankly, i dont see this happening any time soon...sorry

Threatening? She's six. It was a joke. Take a chill pill. :love:

I told my buddy who is a big supporter of the women's hockey team that if they beat a team in their conference this year I will check out one of their home games. So I'm wondering what the chances are I'm gonna be going to a Sioux women's hockey game this year?

I told my buddy who is a big supporter of the women's hockey team that if they beat a team in their conference this year I will check out one of their home games. So I'm wondering what the chances are I'm gonna be going to a Sioux women's hockey game this year?

Whatever the chances are of winning a conference game...why dont you just check it out anyway? Many people have, and many more should. Fan support can do wonders.

Depends. Fans of the sport would say what Siouxmama says.

People who dislike the sport, such as the joker who posted earlier in this thread, would say it's not worth it and tell you to go throw matches into a can of gasoline or pick a fight with a six year old girl instead. :love:

My opinion is like Siouxmama's. I didn't know what to think about women's hockey until I saw a game. It was a few years back (my first game) where I saw UND play UConn. We lost. However, I cheered so hard the scorekeeper gave me a free program (I guess he was tired of hearing me yell "Go 13!! Good shot 15!!!" etc.). :lol:

It's a fledgeling program trying to find its footing right now. Unlike MSU-M or BSU in men's hockey, UND Women's Hockey doesn't have a whole lot of history (I believe it was a club team before going DI whereas MSU-M and BSU men's hockey were long time DII/DIII hockey teams before jumping). So you can see the small crowds in such a manner that you are either: Helping to develop tradition or just supporting the program. It is really as much as you wish to make it.

In the winter, it makes a great day of hockey. Women's hockey Saturday afternoon and Men's to wrap up the evening.

Do I think women's hockey is as good as men's hockey? No, because, though they are the same sport, they are very different. The rules are different and that takes some getting used to (I'm still not used to the no checking rule).

Anyways, just check it out and, if you don't like it, at least you gave it a shot. IF you do like it, the women could use as much support as they can get.

Great post, redwing.

Another thing- UND's attendance, although down quite a bit from 2004-05 in 05-06....was still the 8th highest attendance in the nation.

The attendance wasn't anywhere near great, but even if you put 1,000 people in the Ralph it looks like no one is there.

I've been to a sioux women's hockey game a year or two ago...Watched a player hit another and it was a nice one and I was like nice. The next thing I know she is in the penalty box cause you can't hit?:love:? Personally they need to change the rules to the way the men play it. So I told my friend I will give them another chance this year if they win a conference game. So pretty much I'm asking sioux women fans, is their a team in the conference they will beat this year??

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked out the 2006-'07 roster for the Sioux. I think that's the youngest roster I've ever seen. I also read they had some open tryouts. I wonder if anyone, or how many may have tried out and if anyone might eventually make the team.

• 2 weeks later...

I know Rivard only got on a college hockey team because of tryouts so she is dedicated to having them. She is looking for someone like herself. But, there has already been team problems, punishments, and the year has not even started. She really is a poor leader and speaker. hopefully they will fire her before christmas.

I know Rivard only got on a college hockey team because of tryouts so she is dedicated to having them. She is looking for someone like herself. But, there has already been team problems, punishments, and the year has not even started. She really is a poor leader and speaker. hopefully they will fire her before christmas.

Sounds like the Minnesota Vikings organization under the head coaching of Mike Tice, which means you need to bring somebody in like a Brad Childress. Might actually help your program, not hurt it.

Sounds like the Minnesota Vikings organization under the head coaching of Mike Tice, which means you need to bring somebody in like a Brad Childress. Might actually help your program, not hurt it.

No. Mike Tice had a coaching style like an osterich. He ruffles feathers and dances about and then hides his head in the sand when things get out of control.

If what people are saying about Rivard are true, then the Tasmanian Devil may be a more accurate description.

I have also seen the team. Shantel is still a joke in practices (and on the road,recruiting), it is not that she is dumb, she just dosent get things. she can't run a practice and has control problems with her staff (that is why they left i was told). she just dosent know her limitations. i guess she was even offered a postion in administration (AD staff member told me) and she turned it down. This is her last year. hopefully the staff will be given more power to overule her or we will have the same outcome as the last years.

GO Sioux