1. 1. Is this program going in the right direction

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that a loss?

I really hope you weren't being serious with that question. This program is going to bottom out in the next two months. It will be the biggest loss to date in the women's program. A conservative guess is that 3-4 more players are going to leave the program as well. The Woosters left because they couldn't stand playing for Rivard anymore. Then the University sent out a Press Release that was full of BS concerning their departure. UND and Grand Forks are losing a great man and a great coach in Paul Colontino. The handwriting is on the wall and he's getting the hell out of here. Rivard will be fired at the end of this upcoming season. She would have been fired this year, but some in the administration thought it wouldn't look good because she was pregnant. I would not consider myself a women's hockey fan, but I know what's going on with this departure and it is complete Bull Sh*t.

Hi folks,

Just a neutral observer here. The departure of Colontino is a loss and the latest in what is certainly more than their share of adversity for the Sioux women. I would add tho, that I'm very confident many quality, and qualified candidates will be happy and anxious to be considered as a replacement for coach Colontino. Hopefully those involved in the search know what they're doing.

Also, I'm familiar with the student athlete transfer from Clarkson. Excellent D...gave my former high school team fits her entire career (not a player, just a fan). I believe you'll agree.

Collontino is a nice guy too. I've met him a few times. We started talking and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

The major impact, IMO, will be the lockerroom. Wasn't it stated that most of the ladies who left the program didn't like Rivard but liked Collontino and the other assistant? Might those who were on the fence with leaving or staying leave because Collontino is gone now?

I don't know what to think about all of this, but if Hockeymom says everything will be ok, or if she suggests a plan of action, I'll go with it. Hockeymoms all know whats best for the girls :silly:

I don't know what to think about all of this, but if Hockeymom says everything will be ok, or if she suggests a plan of action, I'll go with it. Hockeymoms all know whats best for the girls :silly:

Well, I don't know if everything will be all right, but I am the kind of person who likes to look at the glass as being half full. We have a lot of good recruits coming in. That said, you could have the best players in the world on your team, if the chemistry isn't there........you're not going to be successful.

I think it's safe to say that it can't get much worse than last year.......

We'll just have to wait and see. :D

Well, I don't know if everything will be all right, but I am the kind of person who likes to look at the glass as being half full. We have a lot of good recruits coming in. That said, you could have the best players in the world on your team, if the chemistry isn't there........you're not going to be successful.

I think it's safe to say that it can't get much worse than last year.......

We'll just have to wait and see. :D

The recruits coming in were ALL brought in by Colontino (as well as the transfer). They can change their mind upon hearing of his departure.

I really hope you weren't being serious with that question. This program is going to bottom out in the next two months. It will be the biggest loss to date in the women's program. A conservative guess is that 3-4 more players are going to leave the program as well. The Woosters left because they couldn't stand playing for Rivard anymore. Then the University sent out a Press Release that was full of BS concerning their departure. UND and Grand Forks are losing a great man and a great coach in Paul Colontino. The handwriting is on the wall and he's getting the hell out of here. Rivard will be fired at the end of this upcoming season. She would have been fired this year, but some in the administration thought it wouldn't look good because she was pregnant. I would not consider myself a women's hockey fan, but I know what's going on with this departure and it is complete Bull Sh*t.

I was not being sarcastic with that question. I live a couple of thousand of miles away from GF and really didn't know how valuable of an asset he was for the program. I appreciate many of you enlightening me!

In case anyone wants to follow the fortunes of the "L" twins when things get started. Monique on the Gold team, Jocelyne on the White.

http://www.usahockey.com/06_camps/main_sit...n/gselect_1718/

They're quite amazing hockey players. My neighbor, whose daughters play hockey, and I talk every now and then about them and what it would be like to get the "L" sisters (as you say) to come to UND to play. However, unlike him, I'm not so optimistic. Yeah, they're what... going into 10th grade? However, there are huge question marks regarding our program. I just don't see them coming to UND if all this junk about Rivard is really true. Nor do I see them coming to UND if the junk about Rivard is false and yet UND does nothing to improve the women's program.

You all have to understand that, right now, these girls could choose any DI school in the nation even right now, and they'd be sure to get in (barring academic issues). With powerhouses like UMD, UMN, and the Ivy League schools all wanting them badly, what is going to make our program stick out?

There's no doubt whatsoever that the competition for the talents of these young ladies will be absolutely fierce among many division I programs. You're also correct I believe that for UND to land them is certainly not assured by any means. One thing I wonder personally is how assured, or likely it is both will move on to the same program. I don't know them of course...maybe someone who knows them better can comment on how likely that may be. Have to keep in mind whether or not prospective programs have two spots (scholarships) available at the time...tho I'm sure someone will, as I'm also pretty sure several, maybe all programs will want the "package deal."

Edit: Although I know where I'd like to see them end up...I hope it's in the WCHA...bottom line.

2nd Edit: Oops, "I hope it's in the WCHA." Except UMD of course

You all have to understand that, right now, these girls could choose any DI school in the nation even right now, and they'd be sure to get in (barring academic issues). With powerhouses like UMD, UMN, and the Ivy League schools all wanting them badly, what is going to make our program stick out?

Thanks for adding that perspective. I'm sure no one realized it before reading your post.

• 2 weeks later...
The women's hockey team just lost the best coach they ever had. Coach Colontino held that program together. To be honest, I never respected a coach so much as I did Coach Colontino. Best of luck to you Paul.

I heard that the woosters have been released to Mercyhurst. Where colontino went.

A real slap in the face to the UND program. Colontino was the best thing that has happend to this program. He will make any program better I am just sorry that UND is so STUPID to not have made him an Associate here. We just lost the only reason that UND has ever won a game. Shantel is DONE and the team is starting all over. Bunning said the players should leave if they don't like Rivard, because shantel is the coach and he will not fire her. Way to go Bunning!!!!! they are leaving ..... even the staff.

...and not a surprise to anyone. They are fairly widely known for their "physical" style. Check the stats for SSM each season. They're routinely the most penalized by a wide margin every year. Having a physical aspect to your game is necessary when moving on to D-I. You also have to learn to be smart about it and learn how to stay out of the box as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Source??

Do we really need a source? They've already said that they aren't coming back next year.

Which is a disappointment, cause I'll miss hearing the avatar say "Wooster......sweet!" when one them skates by the glass in front of us.

She even named her stuffed puppy Wooster.....

Well, anyway....I still wish them success.