SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA ROY

7NationalTitles

I actually emailed the WCHA writer for USCHO. I don't know if he was just feeding me a line or if he was serious but he said he hasn't yet determined who his ROY is for his column. I'll take him for his word since I have no reason to question it. He said he hasn't yet decided but will announce his honors in his column this week. He also said a lot of the voters that he has talked to are debating the ROY also. So even though Kessel may win it, Oshie appears to be getting attention from the voters. He also listed a few stats between the two players that I don't recall anymore but the stats he through out there I hadn't seen before and both of them were neck and neck in those stats. At least he seemed objective in his response to me and wasn't blindly handing the award to Kessel.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something tossed around on the hockeysfuture.com prospects boards lately was that Kessel's shooting percentage is something like 8.4% whereas Toews is 21.something %. You stats guys might think this significant, but I thought it was interesting. Of course, Kessel has something like twice as many shots as Toews does, but....

Meh. Like I said, give the award to Kessel. I really don't care who wins it. I'd rather win games than win awards.

Something tossed around on the hockeysfuture.com prospects boards lately was that Kessel's shooting percentage is something like 8.4% whereas Toews is 21.something %. You stats guys might think this significant, but I thought it was interesting. Of course, Kessel has something like twice as many shots as Toews does, but....

Meh. Like I said, give the award to Kessel. I really don't care who wins it. I'd rather win games than win awards.

i really dont think shooting % is that big of a factor in hockey, now if we were talking basketball then kessel should be riding the pine ;)

Thanks for showing your ignorance Bucky Sucks. You have probably only watched Oshie play a team that doesn't hit, your Goofs. He has been the recepient of big hits and guess what he gives them back just as big. He actually thrives on getting into the physical play and scores the big goals. If you had watched him play all season you would understand why he is a complete package, your one move wonder is not. Please stop embarassing yourself and annoying us by returning to your site for a few consoling group hugs. ;)

You're so dumb you didn't even understand what I was saying. I'm not talking about how Oshie takes hits. I'm talking about how other teams gameplanned more for stopping Kessel than they did with Oshie. It was obvious also during the WJT. The announcers noticed it and commented on it and he still lead the team in scoring. Lucia has also commented on how Kessel gets more special attention than other players.

I know alot of Sioux fans that don't post here, or even follow this board because they don't want to waste their time with people like you. I'll guarantee, that they are bigger supporters of their team they you will ever know.

So is this something like the "Don't tell me what to do" punchline you used earlier? Cause if it is I must be missing it although I am amazed at how well you know me.

For the topic at hand. To earn some brownie points with some of my friends in the Twin Cities who are Sioux supporters (but obviously not big enough ones since they tolerate me) give the ROY to none other than...T.J. OSHIE!

You're so dumb you didn't even understand what I was saying. I'm not talking about how Oshie takes hits. I'm talking about how other teams gameplanned more for stopping Kessel than they did with Oshie. It was obvious also during the WJT. The announcers noticed it and commented on it and he still lead the team in scoring. Lucia has also commented on how Kessel gets more special attention than other players.

What game plan ;) He tried his one move on the elite Canadian D and wound up on his behind. Gee sounds like the Sioux D, try and go to the net and take a seat. Pretty basic hockey. :lol: The one move wonder had one plan though, to be the tournament MVP and take all the credit and glory.

Just a couple things here, then I'm done with this, for now. 1. Don't start/read topics like this cause everyone knows what it's going to be. 2. You fellas better hope and pray your boy phil wins this deal, cause if he doesn't, I'll be here everyday reminding you all about it.

For somone who doesn't care about this thread or the WCHA ROY award, you sure do post here a lot.

Kessel - Considering the hype, he's had a fine year. He's second in points on the #1 team in the country as a freshman. Also 7th overall in WCHA points - ahead of such great players as M. Sertich, Sterling, Earl, Oshie, Gauthier... that's quite impressive. He passes well, he shoots a lot, he moves the puck into the opponent's zone and sets up the power play incredibly well... and he has improved noticeably in the defensive zone.

Oshie - My friends and I were discussing TJ at the Gopher game on Friday.... he's an absolute beast, and one of the primary reasons we don't want to run into UND in the Grand Forks regional. In the 4 Gopher-Sioux games this year, I'd say he was UND's best overall player. For a team loaded with talent, that says an awful lot about his game. Seems very Irmen-like: hard working, chippy at times, great goal scorer, playing at ND instead of U of M - the kind of player the opposing team HATES to face.

Toews - I didn't notice him as much this year, but from what I've been reading here and on USCHO, it sounds like he's been playing quite well as of late. Appearantly the pairing with Stafford has done wonders for his game (see Stoa).

Stoa - Not a ROY candidate, but he's been playing exceptionally well as late. He's developed in all facets of his game over the course of the season. He's a very physical forward and to this point has 7-14 = 21 on the year. Doesn't exactly hurt that he's played with Irmen and Poltunly the majority of the season, but his development has helped that line turn into one of the best in the nation.

There's been a lot of discussion on the Sioux's freshman class, and how well they have performed as a whole. The Gopher's frosh haven't been as productive and integral to the team, but they've had a great year so far.

Bostrum - Hard working, gritty 4th liner that has looked absolutely fantastic at times this year. Hasn't been as noticeable lately, but he's a big reason why our 4th line has the potential to every it is on the ice. 7-6 = 13

Wheeler - Honestly, has been a bit of a disappointment thus far. He's hustles ever time he's on the ice; it's amazing to watch his 6'5" frame move that fast up and down the ice. I figured he'd have the potential to dominate games, especially as a 3rd liner, but he's been a steady player who still have tremendous upside. At least Gopher fans know he'll probably be back for at least one more season. 7-8 =15

Anderson - Frightening start to the season; he really looked out of place against all forms of competition. However, RJ has developed nicely and has benefited from being paired with Goligoski every night. Is much more composed with the puck and no longer a liability on the ice - I actually feel confident when he's out on defense. 0-3 = 3

Frazee - Unfortunately, it appears as though young Mr. Frazee has some growing up to do, both on and off the ice. Gopher fans have been disappointed with some of his actions (i.e. his Hauser-like behavior on the ice), but he's shown flashes of brilliance at times. Overall, he's had an average freshman year and is currently riding a two-game shutout streak. I'm looking forward to seeing how much better he'll be next year. 6-2-2 2.23 GAA 2 SH .916 SV%

I have checked out Gopher Puck Live - and you know what - most of the board conversations are MUCH more civilized and at a higher level of discussion, albeit less conversations.

That is pure BS. Try making a flaming anti-Goph post over there (as some of the anti-Sioux skippies have done here) and you'll be railroaded off the board by a multitude of gpl'ers (poi'ers). Whatever lights your board, however.

I have checked out Gopher Puck Live - and you know what - most of the board conversations are MUCH more civilized and at a higher level of discussion, albeit less conversations.

;):lol:

There are some good folks and good chat over there, but wow are you delusional.

:lol::0:lol:

seems like the move to center for toews has really made his game different and his numbers have sure gone up. just wondering...did he play center at shattuck as i know he centered a line at the world juniors this last tourney and why was he not at center at the beginning of this year? was it a numbers thing? thx

And by the way, if Oshie would've faced the defensive attention that Kessel has this year there's no way he'd have the numbers he has.

It seems that when kessel faces any type of defensive attention (anything not 5v4), then he pretty much is even with oshie. I can't help but notice that when the Gophers PP goes just 1-7 against a bottom feeder, kessel doesn't get any points. It must be that extra defensive attention he got. Either that or when the Gophers bread and butter drops, so does kessel's "impact."

This is the second time I've seen someone on the internet post that Kessel receives more "defensive attention" than other WCHA rookies. How do we know that, first of all. And if he's not playing on one of the big lines with MN, he's probably not playing against the opponent's top D pairings either. Or, are opponents game planning around Kessel? No wonder Potulny's got all those points, if opponents have to worry primarily about the Kessel line.

It seems that when kessel faces any type of defensive attention (anything not 5v4), then he pretty much is even with oshie. I can't help but notice that when the Gophers PP goes just 1-7 against a bottom feeder, kessel doesn't get any points. It must be that extra defensive attention he got. Either that or when the Gophers bread and butter drops, so does kessel's "impact."

i honestly think that kessel goes as the gopher PP goes, and the gopher PP goes as Potulny and Ihrmen go, plain and simple. garbage goals count, and the assists that go with count too, BUT, how many of Phil's assists are from potulny's or ihrmens taking a beating and getting a rebound goal?? how many are actually pretty plays? I know that a point is a point and that oshie has those kinds of points too, but most of his goals are the rebound type, hard work type, walk a defensman and make a pretty shot, not gravy training potulny or ihrmen on the don's unbelievable power play

i honestly think that kessel goes as the gopher PP goes, and the gopher PP goes as Potulny and Ihrmen go, plain and simple. garbage goals count, and the assists that go with count too, BUT, how many of Phil's assists are from potulny's or ihrmens taking a beating and getting a rebound goal?? how many are actually pretty plays? I know that a point is a point and that oshie has those kinds of points too, but most of his goals are the rebound type, hard work type, walk a defensman and make a pretty shot, not gravy training potulny or ihrmen on the don's unbelievable power play

I've seen a few MN games and Kessel had made some very sweet passes to assist on goals on the PP.

I've seen a few MN games and Kessel had made some very sweet passes to assist on goals on the PP.

ahhh, come on. can't you just play along and say his assists are all rebounds from his own shots ;)

ahhh, come on. can't you just play along and say his assists are all rebounds from his own shots ;)

like the jackass in basketball that needed one more rebound for a triple double so he bounced the ball off his own basket on an inbound!!! :lol::lol:

that would also add to the wooooooger's theory on phantom assisstsststss

like the jackass in basketball that needed one more rebound for a triple double so he bounced the ball off his own basket on an inbound!!! :lol::lol:

that would also add to the wooooooger's theory on phantom assisstsststss

exactly

:0 and that jackass ricky davis is playing for the timberwolves now as he was traded to the t-pups for szczerbiak..

as for the wooger....the guys a total trip to listen to. especially when you have a few beers in ya

If you had watched him play all season you would understand why he is a complete package, your one move wonder is not.

If you've been able to watch Oshie "all season", how is it you've also been able to see enough of Kessel to aver what he is or is not?