SiouxSports.com Forum

Bad Weekend but...

AZSIOUX

Yes this last weekend sucked the big one and hurt our PWR a lot but I am not jumping ship yet.i hope some others join me..we do have some big games left including the wcha playoffs and the final 5 (yes, we will be in the final 5) and with some wins we can get right back into the NC$$ picture as we are right on the border as of today but out if the season ended today. But the great part is the season didn't end today! we have CC and DU which will be very tough games on the road but i am going out on a limb here and saying we are a better road team :huh:. We have to take this 1 game at a time and hope that we can score more than 1 frickin goal a night or we will not be playing in the ralph at the end of march. we are getting great goaltending so a few goals may go along way. time to step up because my azz wants to come back to g forks for the regional ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes this last weekend sucked the big one and hurt our PWR a lot but I am not jumping ship yet.i hope some others join me..we do have some big games left including the wcha playoffs and the final 5 (yes, we will be in the final 5) and with some wins we can get right back into the NC$$ picture as we are right on the border as of today but out if the season ended today. But the great part is the season didn't end today! we have CC and DU which will be very tough games on the road but i am going out on a limb here and saying we are a better road team :huh:. We have to take this 1 game at a time and hope that we can score more than 1 frickin goal a night or we will not be playing in the ralph at the end of march. we are getting great goaltending so a few goals may go along way. time to step up because my azz wants to come back to g forks for the regional ;)

Don't you mean your AZ azz? I'm with you. Personally, I'll be in the seats this Friday wearing the Green and White. You heard it hear first, I guarantee a Sioux victory. It was last year in CC with two tough loses in which the Sioux totally dominated the Tigers that UND started to turn things around. Same this year only with a W or two to show for the effort.

Not that it really means much... but a positive in the student section "battle" and such from this weekend is that they put the words to the school songs up on the video fascia ring (where the ads normally are) so that people could sing along... I'm not sure if other people notice, but the people I was with did... and we had quite the song going in the student section...

As negative as my attitude has been lately (especially during games), I'm still on board. My preseason expectations are still plausible right now.

I knew coming into the season that a top 3 finish in the WCHA was out of the question. I also couldn't expect another trip to the Frozen Four (we'll see about this one, but I'm not expecting it that's for sure).

With all the adversity the Sioux are facing this year with youth and inconsistency, I only want the Sioux to make the NCAA tourney. Whether they are one and done in the tourney or are able to go all the way makes no difference. I really think it is important to make our own regional. And that's it for my expectations.

I agree with brianvf- Our defense has performed MUCH better than I thought it would preseason. Our goaltending was as strong as ever. IMO, I knew Phil was a good goaltender but I guess I feel he's better this year than last year. Jordy has taken his game to another level too. I just don't understand why our offense is so sporatic and inconsistent.

Well, our road ahead is a lot more difficult with the sweep at the hands of the Huskies, but it isn't an impossible road.

I love college hockey and the Sioux and plan to stick it out to the end, no matter how bitter it gets. We still got a fighting chance to move back in to the NCAA playoff picture, we just need to score one more goal a game! I thought the team played very well on Saturday with the exception of a few players. Good defense and some scarry but good goaltending, the offense seemed to be firing some what better on Saturday but ran into some exceptional tending. Sioux need some magic in CC like Sterling and Sertich to miss the bus to the arena.

Count me in on the bandwagon. We are about where I expected to be in the league. Our defense is playing better than I hoped for at the beginning of the season. The offense has shown some signs of life, just not this weekend. Don't forget, we scored almost 5 goals a game over the previous 3 games. We just need to find some consistency on offense and we can still make some noise in the WCHA and maybe in the NC$$s.

Hey Sioux fans,

I have only been able to see a few games on TV this season so I was wondering what most of you think the problem is. Is it so many young players,conditioning,strength,not playing up to potential,coaching or is it a combination?

Definetely it is not playing like they should most of the time. Perfect example-They get crushed by a physically dominating minnesota 6-1 on a friday and then come back and win 4-2 on a saturday in what was a very even game. If they can play with minnesota, they can play with anybody, so in my opinion they are just flat out not playing like they should. It is definetely not conditioning or strength, as they usually are still going strong and hitting hard in the 3rd. They haven't gotten too many good bounces all season either.

Other than the first game against Mankato, I have not seen them come out for a game with a really good jump. They seem to wait for the opposition to take it to them and somewhere around the third period they seem to get it and begin playing SIOUX HOCKEY!

That to me is the biggest and weirdest thing. When you read the comments in the paper it seems they all know it but they can't seem to change it.

As skilled as they may be, they sometimes seem to want to make the extra, pretty pass or something when shooting should be the option.

I keep thinking about Dave Tippett. This team has plenty of skilled players but no Dave Tippett type who would have clenched the puck in his teeth to kill a PP or gone through the boards to send the opponent a message.

It needs a leader like that in my opinion.

Other than the first game against Mankato, I have not seen them come out for a game with a really good jump.

Then I guess you haven't seen that many games.

• Two goals in about a minute and a half in the first period against Northeastern.
  • Three goals in the first period against Denver.
  • Two goals in the first 2:14 against UMD.
  • Three goals in the first period against the Huskies at St. Cloud.
  • Three goals in the first period against Bemidji.

I thought the Sioux had all the jump they needed against SCSU Saturday night. Heck, they outshot the Huskies 17-10 in the first period. It was the most first-period shots on goal the Sioux have produced all season.

I'd be more concerned about the Sioux if they'd played two bad games against SCSU and lost by lopsided scores. But they didn't. They played well Friday and lost. They played even better on Saturday and lost.

Without two lucky SCSU bounces Friday and a questionable goal, we'd be talking about Lamoureux's great 1-0 shutout victory. On Saturday, if the Sioux could have gotten a puck past Goepfert one on of the multiple great chances they had in regulation, we'd be talking about a 2-1 win and our second straight home sweep.

Like it or not, Goepfert was the epitome of the hot goalie for this series. The trouble with hot goalies is that they eventually cool off. And if your team depends on a hot goalie who gets injured, ask Mike Eaves how much fun that is.

Bob Motzko was 100 percent correct when after Saturday's game he said that you can't start looking too far ahead in the WCHA. You just have to take it one game at a time because things can change in a hurry.

Bad weekend what an understatement.How many cliches are we going to use this week,can't control the other teams goalie,no puck luck or the one we have used all year there just too young.it used to be when the Sioux were down even by two goals that lead wasn't safe,now if they get the first goal its almost over at that point.Friday night with a six on four we eat it along the boards with our faces on the glass and trying to cycle the puck,geez there has to be a open man there somewhere I would think.Maybe Hakstols systems are to easy to defend maybe to structured not enough room for offensive creativity.maybe they should try putting someone,anyone in front of the net where you can score instead of all three below the red line all the time.I know that I will be torched for this post like my last one but until something changes its frustrating to watch a team with lots of talent keep peeing down there own leg. The systems I blame on Hakstol and lack is of intensity falls on his shoulders also. Maybe Hakstol should change Assit. coaches or systems.I remember during Hakstols press conference how we wouldn't even notice the change from his team and Blais's well I for one can tell the difference :huh:

Maybe Hakstol should change Assit. coaches or systems.I remember during Hakstols press conference how we wouldn't even notice the change from his team and Blais's well I for one can tell the difference :huh:

I do think that under Hakstol, the Sioux play a more defensive style of hockey than they did under Blais. I also think there are some philosophical differences between Blais and Hakstol that are reflected in their coaching styles. However, last season under trying circumstances, these same coaches and that same style of hockey got the Sioux into the championship game of the Frozen Four after many had written them off.

Give it a chance. The season's a long way from over.

I agree it's a long way from over but they need to change something or the results we be the same. When Blais was at the helm they were fun to watch,always applying pressue and getting on the opposing team win or lose.As for last years frozen four was it coaching or the big class of seniors finally waking up.

Bad weekend what an understatement.How many cliches are we going to use this week,can't control the other teams goalie,no puck luck or the one we have used all year there just too young.

To Hakstol's credit, he has not used the "opposing goalie, puck luck" excuse much this year. When the team has played poorly, he has been quick to note his displeasure in the postgame interview. So on the rare occasion when he says, "the team played well, but the puck just wouldn't go in," I'll believe him. The series at CC last year was very similar, with the team easily playing well enough to earn points, but not getting them.

Hakstol has also rarely used the team's youth as an excuse. I have used it here, because it's true. If you had six first-rounders on the team, and they were all 22 years old, would they dominate? Yes. If they were age 15, would they dominate? No, they'd get killed. So what about at ages 17-19? They'd be growing and learning rapidly, but not ready to dominate. And that's what we have. It doesn't have to be anyone's "fault," sometimes it just is what it is. All you can ask is that they keep playing the game the right way, to the best of their abilities, and hope the results follow.

And any comparison's to Blais' teams can't just use a selective sample. What about 01-02? How about fading in 02-03? It wasn't always fantastic in the past.

Whatever thats my opinion and I'am sticking to it.Blais wasn't a perfect coach my any means(messing with goalies) but his team always played hard and alway forechecked and put lots of pressure on the other team,as for 01-02 if they would have had a goaltender who could have stopped a beach ball it would have been a lot better year.

And any comparison's to Blais' teams can't just use a selective sample. What about 01-02? How about fading in 02-03? It wasn't always fantastic in the past.

That is the key point. If Blais hadn't had his previous successes some members of this chat would have been ready to crucify him for the two years in question. I still believe the Sioux are very well coached and I was hoping that despite their youth this would be a successful season based on the talent alone.

As expected, some freshmen have adjusted better than others but just like last year it is the upperclassmen that have to show up each and every game in order for this team to succeed. I like how the team is playing defensively but the upperclassmen need to find a way to factor in on the scoring each and every game from here on in. Unfortunately, the large freshmen class has limited Hak's motivation options for this season.

I just think we need more NHL draft choices, including more #1s. Hack just needs more to work with. St.Cloud was able to shut down powerhouse programs like AA, Mich Tech, Robert Morris, and Brown too, not just North Dakota. Just takes a little more time. It'll come around.

What is the deal with that??? All these first round draft choices and the team is not only not playing well, but with all this talent, you would think they would still score??? Any thoughts??

I just think we need more NHL draft choices, including more #1s. Hack just needs more to work with. St.Cloud was able to shut down powerhouse programs like AA, Mich Tech, Robert Morris, and Brown too, not just North Dakota. Just takes a little more time. It'll come around.

Nice sarcasm, but you're conveniently ignoring a few facts. SCSU tied Wisconsin and played them tough when the Badgers were flying high. They've defeated Minnesota and Denver. The Huskies also beat and tied Colgate, the team currently leading the ECAC.

I hate getting swept at home as much as anyone, but SCSU isn't a bad team.

What is the deal with that??? All these first round draft choices and the team is not only not playing well, but with all this talent, you would think they would still score??? Any thoughts??

That may be the biggest problem. The Sioux are very talented, but also very young. The Gophers under Woog used to recruit a lot of high school aged kids (blue chippers) that struggled against older teams. It's a real fine line. On the one hand, a program wants to get the top talent, regardless of age. Most of those blue chippers want to go to college without playing juniors, so they commit early (Jordy Christian is one of a long line). On the other hand, that young talent is going to have difficulty matching up against kids who have had a year or two in the USHL or the Canadian junior leagues. The answer may be that you need a mix. You need some older, veteran players who have more physical and mental maturity. The Sioux have very few. Prpich and Marvin and Porter are about it. Even some of the junior leaders are very young---Smaby and Stafford were only 20 to start the year. The other problem is that many of the blue chip players leave early. Lucia-pet has tried to balance that by also recruiting some older kids from the USHL. Grant Potulny was a good example. Even Ryan Potulny and Danny Irmen, although they are young, did spend 2 years in the USHL.

I don't think that the problem is coaching. It is more a function of inconsistency and leadership due to the youth of this team. It should, however, serve as a wake-up call when a not very talented St. Cloud team not only beats you, but sweeps you at home. I cannot ever recall St. Cloud sweeping in Grand Forks, and this is one of the least talented St. Cloud teams that I have ever seen. Give them credit--they work extremely hard, play patient defensive hockey, and have excellent goaltending. However, getting swept at home by St. Cloud is just inexcusable. The coaches may have to reevaluate recruiting to make sure that there are Adam Calder type players. Mark Fabian is in that mold, but he's one of the few.