CRIPPLED GOPHERS (vs) MIGHTY SIOUX!

01grad

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what's the matter with the name "Gladstone."

signed:

Gladstone Gander (Donald Duck's rich cousin)

Nothing is the matter with it, but don't be upset if some one thinks Donald's rich cousins name is Gander Gladstone.

BTW, Gladstone, ND is the type of town you don't want to be stranded in, especially after dark.

You can't base rivalry on attendance. There are two large metro areas in the WCHA and Mpls is driving distance to most schools while Denver is not.

UND and WI want to beat MN because of the age old rivalry among the traditional elite WCHA programs.

SCSU, MSU, BSU and UMD all want to beat MN, because they have the David v Goliath complex.

Everyone likes to knock off traditional powers and MN is just a great big target. UND is too, and I would bet that all of the schools that claim MN as their top rival would put UND as number 2.

Allright Sioux Here's how to win this game:

1. Go out and hit somebody or get hit on your first shift. Get the blood pumping. Early goals either way will determine the winner.

2. Keep the feet moving away from the puck. MN has some great skaters, and if our feet aren't moving they will get odd man rushes.

3. Forwards, remember your defensive assignments and backcheck. The Gopher forwards can fry our D if they don't have support.

4. Do not abandon Jordy. Any Maroon sweaters near the crease should be covered in snow.

5. Good, hard passes. Noone can outskate a good pass.

6. Do not take stupid penalties. MN has a very good pp and the last thing we need is pim trouble. Exclamation: IF YOU CAN READ HIS NUMBER DO NOT HIT HIM!

7. Don't get too pretty (even you gifted players i.e. Drew and Travis and Jonny)

8. Take shots. Get to the circles, let 'em fly and everyone to the net. Especially opposite wingers to the far post.

9. D-men take care of business in the d zone before you worry about transition; again this means even the gifted guys (Brian)

10. Feed off the high energy guys. Get Prpich and Oshie running around like a 22 year old Roenick on Effadrine.

11. Have fun. Hockey is a fun game and a series like this is what it's all about.

12. Play Sioux Hockey

I must admit that I'm pretty nervous for tonight. We had big scoring relatively easy last weekend. The gophers on the other hand got it handed to them and had to skate without pucks this week at practice. Irmen said they had their best practices of the season. They do not want a repeat of last weekend. I just hope our boys can weather the storm.

Gophs win tonight, and we win tomorrow.

Why are we so hung up on who Lucia or the Minnesota fans consider their biggest rivals ?

We are one of the biggest rivals - that's for sure. Some of us are infatuated with anything the Goofies say or do - that's what makes the Goofies OUR biggest rivals.

Don't sweat it if they don't see it like we do.

Based on the overall vitriol between the fans, I DO think they see it like we do (or pretty close). That was my point. But you're right in that it's unbecoming to try to convince them of our "status" (and there's no need because the program speaks for itself).

Despite my recent posts (where I got sucked in), I have a history of trying to downplay the rivalry with Minnesota. I think UND can stand on its own and should not be hyping a rivalry that's not fully reciprocated. Back in 2001, I was a big advocate for inviting someone other than Minnesota to open up the Ralph. I thought it would have been a real cool move if we had invited Wisconsin or Minnesota-Duluth instead.

Having said that, there's no way the attitudes toward Minnesota are ever going to change amongst the students and alumni.

Or maybe I'm just in a bad mood because -- despite having tickets lined up -- I couldn't make the trip up to GF this weekend. :D

MN is an elite hockey program. They are not the elite hockey program. There are some banners flying in ND, CO, MA, ME, WI and MI that say MN doesn't own the college sport.

They always put together a good squad and are deserving of praise. However, the jock sniffer who never laced 'em up whose claim to fame was Mike Crowley once drove him home from BJHS has no business talking trash about hockey