SiouxSports.com Forum

CRIPPLED GOPHERS (vs) MIGHTY SIOUX!

01grad

That was an incredible game. Giving some love to the gophers, there was the Final Five championship game from 2004, which was also a great game to watch, and a close second to 1997 as an "exciting" game.

1997 I was on the edge of my seat for most of the game. If I remember correctly, the game see-sawed back and forth throughout. I can still see Armbrust and the loose puck at the moment before he shot......

I certainly enjoyed the 2004 outcome much more. For some reason the 97 game has always stood out to me, probably because so much was stake regarding the NCAA tournament.

Bleepin Michigan and another overrated ECAC gets a bye.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While true, that stat is a little misleading. The tally is close only because the Gophers had the good fortune of meeting the unusually underachieving 2001 UND squad 7 times (additional games were to open REA and 1st round WCHA playoffs). The year-by-year tally of UND victories over the Gophers, 00's only since you think UND hasn't been dominating Minnesota in that era:

2000-01 2.5/4

2001-02 1/7

2002-03 1/2

2003-04 3/5

2004-05 3/4

I don't mind being on the North Dakota side of that list of results (references to National Championships in that era intentionally omitted because that information is so hard to tally).

I completely realize that if the Gophers manage to enjoy a winning "current" decade against UND at some point, it will evaporate when the "beautiful season" comes off the ledger. ;)

In my subjective rankings of who had the better season it's pretty one sided:

'96 - Gophs

'97 - Sioux

'98 - Sioux

'99 - Sioux

'00 - Sioux

'01 - Sioux

'02 - Gophs

'03 - Gophs

'04 - Push

'05 - Sioux

Right now the biggest problem the Gophs and the Sioux have is the red menace to the East and those interlopers from Colorado.

One of the most enjoyable MN/UND hockey games to watch - despite the final result - was the WCHA FF championship game between MN & UND in 1997. The teams ended up tied for the regular season title and the FF final goes to OT? How much better can it get? It was a great game to watch and basically determined which of the two teams would get the first round bye in the NCAA's while the loser would get Michigan in (surprise) Michigan. It was the start of a magical couple weeks for the Sioux.

What hurt the most is after that game I left the Civic Center thinking "That's OK, we'll beat them in the regionals just like we beat CC in '95."

The PWR was something like:

1. Mich

2. UND

3. BU

4. Gophs

Due to seeding rules we had:

1W. Mich

2W. UND

3W. Gophs

etc..

No problem another UND matchup, only the Gophs have to play an extra game.

Well the NCAA decided to go a different route and really put the screws to old Wooger. CC cruises through an eastern regional just to add to my bitterness.

The Pioneer Press says that Shepherd will be trying out a new face shield in Grand Forks this weekend while doing the Sioux/Gophs games.

"Zelkin, who needed three stitches for his cut, is expected to wear a shield in the future, and Derek Shepherd also will try one when he works the Minnesota-North Dakota series this weekend at Engelstad Arena." -PP Bruce Brothers

Will they provide a shield for his guide dog as well?

Lundbohm, in the 2002 WCHA playoffs.

I remember that it was bitter way to lose Ballard pulled the sweater over Lundbohm's head and then went down to the other end and scored the game winner in OT>.

I know Jason would have stabbed him and stopped the rush.. Just kidding who'd a thought that a Roseau kid would let a kid from Baudette pull the jersey over his head. That is all i mumbled on my way out of the rink.

2. Keith Ballard ripping the jersey over the head of some Sioux player (I'm sure some of you know who) in his defensive zone(should have been called a penalty), joining the play and scoring the game-winner in overtime to knock the Sioux out of the playoffs. As I recall, the Sioux were having a down year.

I could be wrong on the details of these memories, but they are perfect in my mind as I remember them. ;)

I just ordered one of the authentic jerseys and they are supposed to have a fight strap on them. Did we not have these back when Lundbohm's jersey was pulled over his head? I never really noticed too many people with these stitched into the back of their jersey, are these available to many people at other schools or NHL teams?

I just ordered one of the authentic jerseys and they are supposed to have a fight strap on them. Did we not have these back when Lundbohm's jersey was pulled over his head? I never really noticed too many people with these stitched into the back of their jersey, are these available to many people at other schools or NHL teams?

UND's jersey's have had a fight strap for a long time now. I'm not sure about college, but I know all NHL jersey's must have them and they must be attached during a game.

If FSN is not the Home of Gopher Hockey what station is? FSN is the only station that televises their games, they have signage all over the arena, they have a signed contract with the University. WCCO is the radio radio station of the Gophers so I'm curious on why FSN is not the TV station. I agree with you, I wish FSN did some games for Duluth, St. Cloud, Mankato, etc. have these schools looked into it?

What I meant was it is not exclusive to the Gophers the way that FSSN is for the Sioux. Sorry for the miscommunication.

That was an incredible game. Giving some love to the gophers, there was the Final Five championship game from 2004, which was also a great game to watch, and a close second to 1997 as an "exciting" game.

1997 I was on the edge of my seat for most of the game. If I remember correctly, the game see-sawed back and forth throughout. I can still see Armbrust and the loose puck at the moment before he shot......

I think Armbrust, a freshman at the time, was as surprised as anyone to see the puck land on his stick the way it did. My brother and I went through the roof of his basement (actually, I think my head did hit his ceiling) on that goal. Nothing better than beating the Gophs! Let's hope for a great weekend of Sioux hockey!!!

I think Armbrust, a freshman at the time, was as surprised as anyone to see the puck land on his stick the way it did. My brother and I went through the roof of his basement (actually, I think my head did hit his ceiling) on that goal. Nothing better than beating the Gophs! Let's hope for a great weekend of Sioux hockey!!!

And that's gotta be hard for either of you....

Thanks for the (bad) trip down memory lane Farce, you communist. :D;);)

While I'm certainly not a UND fan one of the most memorable college games I've ever been to was while I attended UMD. I was in the stands for the comeback. Amazing comeback, especially considering UMD was loaded with great players.

While I'm certainly not a UND fan one of the most memorable college games I've ever been to was while I attended UMD. I was in the stands for the comeback. Amazing comeback, especially considering UMD was loaded with great players.

Wow, you were in the stands for The Comeback?

That's awesome, wish I could have been there as well! :D