SiouxSports.com Forum

CRIPPLED GOPHERS (vs) MIGHTY SIOUX!

01grad

I am sure the gophers will be upset after this past weekend. It should be an outstanding series of young talent. We definetly have the goaltending advantage, but I think everything else is pretty much equal.

I remember when we used to throw snowballs at the players when they would get off of the bus and the time we started the couch on fire outside the arena and smoked the gophers out of the visiting locker room. I can't wait to find a place to get together with other Sioux fans to watch this series. I wish I could be up there, make sure you rock that place!!!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember one esteemed gopher backer posting that Bucky had no offense, Elliot wasn't that good, and WI would fade as the season goes on. We'll yet see if they will fade, but Bucky outscored MN 8-3 for the weekend, Elliot had a shutout..... :glare:

All that probably adds up to a gopher team that's going to want to recover from being stung this weekend. I expect an angry opponent next week. Hopefully Watkins and Kozek will be able to continue to contribute offensively next week because I think we'll need to depend on more than the big 2 or 3 scorers on our team to get the job done.

It will be a fun week anticipating this series. I wish I could be there live, but at least I'll be fortunate enough to watch the games in good company on TV. Can't wait!

The only certainty that is going to be with this series is, from today until a week after the series ends regardless of outcome, the number of Skippy alerts is going to rise. It always does around the Gopher series.

Spirko will shut them up with the 2 hat tricks he'll be getting next weekend.

I would not be opposed to meeting up w/people at Joe Senser's in Bloomington to watch the game, so if anyone else is interested let me know.

I do not expect there to be a big margin of victory in these games, but I do predict the Sioux will be VICTORIOUS. 3 points, minimum. Kessel scores no goals.

First off:

Who is injured for the Gophers to make them crippled?

According to PCM's Hak recap, Smaby isn't at 100 percent. Are any other Sioux players dinged up?

Lastly:

As much of a fan of the Sioux I am, I'd be really happy with a split.

Edited by redwing77

First off:

According to PCM's Hak recap, Smaby isn't at 100 percent. Are any other Sioux players dinged up?

Lastly:

Maybe he just means crippled like they just got swept and shut out in their own house?

I'll bet Frank M. swallowed his own tongue!!!! (and enjoyed it :D ..mmmm...tonguegy!!! ):0 - perhaps He would be better off LICKING MYSELF? :0 - but...then again...he works for the U of M so....you know... ;) !!:) )

We just aren't that good, face the facts, Hasktol doens't get the best out of recruits, fire his ass

First off:

Lastly:

I think he means their pride is crippled. I think UND can sweep this series.

Great weekend for the Sioux. And the Badgers. And a handful of other teams from around the country.

I had the pleasure of being in The John last night. Moved into some seats just off the blue line well within shouting distance of Lucy and his boys. I suspect that they have been skating lines for about two hours right about now. With a few more hours to come.

Wisconsin is damned solid. If they have the heads and the hearts, they are near sure fire to be in Milwaukee. Look for and buy your Frozen Four tickets now.

I wore my prized Sioux jacket to the The John. Was very neutral and respectful to both teams most of the night. I sure wasn't going to cheer for either team so I did a little riding of both. Got to ride Kessel, Lucia, Harrington, Irmen, Zelkin, and yet another Shepherd in a civilly harsh and reasoned way. Earl as well. Got to give Kessel flak for making the "wrong decision." I also got to try and lead the Minnesota fans in their beloved Rouser at the end of the second period when their boys were down 4-0. Jeez. It was mighty quiet in that building. I could hardly get any of them to join me in spelling out their name. I have never had so much fun with the Rouser. Super Pout City in The John.

The Gophers will be locked and loaded for The Ralph. It's gonna be a great series. Of course, people were saying that about the Badgers-Gophers and that one turned out to be a yawner near all weekend long.

Following up on the mention of Mazacco: I couldn't believe how he and Woog made the comments about how they thought the checking from behind call (on the Badger in the Friday night game) was the wrong call and that he didn't deserve to be booted from the game, etc. I couldn't believe it because that is how I felt about the call, also! Then I realize that Sagissor (the Wisconsin "booth rep") was sitting right next to them and they couldn't go into their usual "homer" whinning about "they have to make that call" and all of the other baloney they usually say (like FM's favorite.........."the gopher player is knocked to the ice,....no call, play goes on," insinuating that the ref missed an obvious penalty against the poor gophers. The phoney attempt by the two gopher announcers brought to mind the "he protestith too much" comment, that I think was a quote from some Shakespearian character whose suspicions were arroused concerning the truthfulness of some perpetrator of evil.

I have a suggestion to FSN: How about always having a rep from the opponent's broadcast crew in the booth with Wooger and FM? It would certainly give a more balanced and less biased commentary of the action than that with which we are usually fed from this pair of gopher cheerleaders.

Following up on the mention of Mazacco: I couldn't believe how he and Woog made the comments about how they thought the checking from behind call (on the Badger in the Friday night game) was the wrong call and that he didn't deserve to be booted from the game, etc. I couldn't believe it because that is how I felt about the call, also! Then I realize that Sagissor (the Wisconsin "booth rep") was sitting right next to them and they couldn't go into their usual "homer" whinning about "they have to make that call" and all of the other baloney they usually say (like FM's favorite.........."the gopher player is knocked to the ice,....no call, play goes on," insinuating that the ref missed an obvious penalty against the poor gophers. The phoney attempt by the two gopher announcers brought to mind the "he protestith too much" comment, that I think was a quote from some Shakespearian character whose suspicions were arroused concerning the truthfulness of some perpetrator of evil.

I have a suggestion to FSN: How about always having a rep from the opponent's broadcast crew in the booth with Wooger and FM? It would certainly give a more balanced and less biased commentary of the action than that with which we are usually fed from this pair of gopher cheerleaders.

I think that is a great suggestion, I wish we could get that done!

I know this is mentioned in the Sioux Name part of this message board but it is worth mentioning here as well:

At the Minnesota series, members from some of the Sioux tribes will be present in the box Kupchella normally sits at when he views the game (Quite possibly the one behind the student section).

Kupchella has arranged this, as I read on the Sioux Name thread, to show the Sioux tribal members how we behave "in the harshest of sport situations." I don't care to speculate as to what that is supposed to mean, but I will say this:

As much as the Gophers deserve jeering, disrespect, and all, I think it would be wise to curb the F bombs and take a little off of the edginess to the student section this weekend in the interest of keeping the Name.

I have no suggestions to replace all the "F the Gophers" chants or what could be done to remedy this, even if it is only the short term, but you have to realize that these Sioux tribal leaders already have voiced their one sided opinions against the name and are expecting us to justify their position. Not to mention the possibility that the media who will undoubtedly be covering this facet of the series will be looking for negative press as well. Negative news increases viewership/readership.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T GIVE OUR OPPONENTS MORE WEAPONS!!!!!

I think that is a great suggestion, I wish we could get that done!

It will be interesting to see how the Gophers respond. Wounded aminals are dangerous. Kessel is coming off the worst game and series of his carear where he disappeared and went so far as to hurt his team with bad penalties. You didn't really hear his name outside of the last 10 minutes in game 1.

Briggs and Frazee both suck and I hope this continues. I don't think that Harrington is going to bail them out any time soon. The Gopher scorign still is centered on one line. Hopfully the Sioux can get Toews, Zajac, Sparky, Smaby, and Jones out against the top line as all of those players can play great defense. Lines 2-4 it would appear the Sioux have a strong edge. Stay out of the box as Minnesota has a great power play, though the smaller ice may hurt that. Sparky's play should be on the video monitor when Harrington is announced.

Finally if you are fortunate enought to be at the games. Be loud for the whole game, if Minnesota is controling the puck, be lounder, and if Minnesota scores be louder yet. Don't let the place turn in to Mariucci where good plays or a goal silences the crowd.

Finally if someone tells you to sit down and shut up. Find them after the game and go Commadore on them. ;):0

As much as the Gophers deserve jeering, disrespect, and all, I think it would be wise to curb the F bombs and take a little off of the edginess to the student section this weekend in the interest of keeping the Name.

I have no suggestions to replace all the "F the Gophers" chants or what could be done to remedy this, even if it is only the short term, but you have to realize that these Sioux tribal leaders already have voiced their one sided opinions against the name and are expecting us to justify their position. Not to mention the possibility that the media who will undoubtedly be covering this facet of the series will be looking for negative press as well. Negative news increases viewership/readership.

That's great advice, redwing77, but old habits die hard. I think the visiting tribal leaders will hear what many other visitors to the REA hear and will have the same reaction to it -- if not even more negative. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course.

That's great advice, redwing77, but old habits die hard. I think the visiting tribal leaders will hear what many other visitors to the REA hear and will have the same reaction to it -- if not even more negative. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course.

Yeah, I know.

I'll be avoiding the Sioux Name thread for a few weeks starting Friday. I just have a very bad feeling about this.

Getting swept by the Badgers at home definetly stings quite a bit, man they are the real deal this year, that Elliot kid is PHENOMINAL!

I don't think the Gophers goaltending is that bad right now, it's just their defense is horrible. Each goal that Briggs let in on Friday he was totally hung out to dry by the defense. Anything less then a split for the Gophers this weekend and the downward spiral may really kick into effect.

A buddy and I are making the trek up so either way it will be a good time, look forward to one heck of a series.

Off topic question for some Sioux faithful though, what is the cab situation in Grand Forks, is their a fair amount of different companies in the area, we lost our sober cab this year so we need to find a cab service. Any help would be appreciated. For sure a cab driver that can find the place that has the Grinders, the Red Pepper I think it was. ;)

I know this is mentioned in the Sioux Name part of this message board but it is worth mentioning here as well:

At the Minnesota series, members from some of the Sioux tribes will be present in the box Kupchella normally sits at when he views the game (Quite possibly the one behind the student section).

Kupchella has arranged this, as I read on the Sioux Name thread, to show the Sioux tribal members how we behave "in the harshest of sport situations." I don't care to speculate as to what that is supposed to mean, but I will say this:

Don't forget CSTV and FSN will be broadcasting the game nationally. CSTV had a big problem during the DU series with the F word chants. I would hope the students and others lay off that chant. Not appropriate.

I am sure the gophers will be upset after this past weekend. It should be an outstanding series of young talent. We definetly have the goaltending advantage, but I think everything else is pretty much equal.

I remember when we used to throw snowballs at the players when they would get off of the bus and the time we started the couch on fire outside the arena and smoked the gophers out of the visiting locker room. I can't wait to find a place to get together with other Sioux fans to watch this series. I wish I could be up there, make sure you rock that place!!!

Those were the days. Standing outside freezing our asses off for hours outside the old Ralph. Fun stuff!

The only certainty that is going to be with this series is, from today until a week after the series ends regardless of outcome, the number of Skippy alerts is going to rise. It always does around the Gopher series.

Skippy isn't going to have too much to crow about this week after the absolutely pathetic and uninspired performance their boys put in against Wisconsin. Rumor has it that Kesshole is looking into the possibility of a transfer to Madison after realizing the very huge mistake he made at his press conference.

At the post game handshake, one could clearly see Earl, and others, giving Phil a couple of well-deserved digs about how lousy the Gophers were over the weekend, and that it would be too bad that he would not be with them in Milwaukee.

Skippy isn't going to have too much to crow about this week after the absolutely pathetic and uninspired performance their boys put in against Wisconsin. Rumor has it that Kesshole is looking into the possibility of a transfer to Madison after realizing the very huge mistake he made at his press conference.

At the post game handshake, one could clearly see Earl, and others, giving Phil a couple of well-deserved digs about how lousy the Gophers were over the weekend, and that it would be too bad that he would not be with them in Milwaukee.

"Kesshole"....Priceless! ;)

I wonder if Dubay still thinks the Gophers have the deepest group of Forwards in the WCHA?

Honestly Dubay is still nothing more than an over glorified fan like Masucko.

Also, being objective isn't one of his strong points, that fine for fans like us but as a radio personality

I expect a little more.

The Gopher Forwards are pretty good, there is no doubt about it, but the rest of the league has forwards just as good as UofMN. That being said Kessel is pretty decent dynamic hockey player, however, he is getting a lot of attention and I expect more of the same this weekend. I expect Kessel and Prpich to on the ice at the same time a lot and from watching Kessel he can be take out and off his game pretty easily.

Edited by Goon