SiouxSports.com Forum

CRIPPLED GOPHERS (vs) MIGHTY SIOUX!

01grad

Just to clarify, would you have a problem with a third party person being on FSSN. All I'm saying is that Home announcer are for the most part Biased. As for the Hockey1 moniker its just a moniker, nothing intended by it. I'm just giving my opinion. If you don't agree with it so be it. After all it is a Message board.

Those two from Duluth weren't - but your right - most are.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FSN is the broadcast station for Gopher Hockey, why should they ALWAYS have a rep from the opponents crew if it is their station? The only reason Sagissor is with them for the Wisconsin series is because FSN is also Wisconsin's broadcast station. Their is two FNS channels (one for Minnesota, one for Wisconsin). Does UND have a member of the Opponents broadcast crew when their games are on FSNN? I'm pretty sure they don't. Just like when Denver, CC, Duluth, etc. games are on TV their broadcast crew is from their station. You think Woog and Mazacco(sp) are biased? What a shock. Of course Woog and Mazzacco(sp) are biased, they are no different than any other HOME announcer on tv, radio or arena. Do you ever notice when UND or any other school scores a goal the home announcer has a little extra volume in his voice compared to when an opponent scores. You can called it Biased, Homerism, or whatever you want but that's what you get from a home announcer in a arena or TV.

Let's get it straight, the Fox Sports North is for the GOPHERS not MINNESOTA because they could care less about MSU-M, UMD, St. Cloud, and Bemidji State. There is a huge difference between FSSN and FSN-North. FSN-North is not the Gophers' personal TV station (which is another rant for another board) so why not have guest announcers?

Those two from Duluth weren't - but your right - most are.

Word from the Penalty Box is some people are unhappy with Bruce Ciskie because he is too negative about the team, but I have noticed the KDAL broadcast team is pretty fair and gives credit where credit is due. Bruce is brand new this year though, so he doesn't have 17 years of Bulldog hockey games behind him.

I don't see anything wrong with being a homer though. Aren't we all?

My introduction to the Sioux-Gopher series was on a brutal February evening, with -22 degree temps (without wind chill). At the time, it really sucked, but now that I looked back, it was an awesome experience. The Gopher's came in that weekend rated #1 in the country and had a 19 game winning streak (with Brian Bonin being their leading scorer). Sioux won 8-2 the first night and something like 6-2 the second night. Teeder Wynne became the nation's leading scorer after that weekend, and it was by far, the best series I ever took part in (although the great comeback a few years later, where the Sioux scored 5 goals in the 3rd period to win 5-3 was good too). Let's hope for another great weekend for the Sioux!!!

I recall that series, late January 1995, and it became obvious that Blais was working magic with the troops.

My favorite part was when Teeder Wynne got 3 breakaways on one shift, scoring on the 3rd. Or maybe it was when Minnesota changed goalies after a goal, the Sioux won the faceoff, skated in and scored 7 seconds later ...

I recall that series, late January 1995, and it became obvious that Blais was working magic with the troops.

My favorite part was when Teeder Wynne got 3 breakaways on one shift, scoring on the 3rd. Or maybe it was when Minnesota changed goalies after a goal, the Sioux won the faceoff, skated in and scored 7 seconds later ...

It is neither here nor there, but the game was during early February 1996 and I will never forget the one goal you mentioned. UMN was the dominate team in the country up to that point as mentioned. They hadn't lost in 19 games leading up to the series in GF and seconds after Wooger pulls Jeff Moen in the second period, freshman Jay Panzer walks in and roofs one over DeBus and the place exploded. Moen was reinserted in net, but it didn't matter. The Sioux won convincingly.

The other great part of that weekend, other than the sweep, was Virg's article in Sunday's paper. Evidently, leading up to the series Bonin and Wynne were neck in neck in the national scoring race and Bonin commented to the media during an interview before the series something like "who is Teeder Wynne?" Wynne of course had a huge weekend - 7 or 8 points - and took over the national scoring lead. Virg's Sunday article started simply with, "Brian Bonin meet Teeder Wynne." ;)

Those were the first games I watched on TV after leaving school in 1987. I was living in Minneapolis and found out that Champps would have the games on Midwest Sports Channel. I was the only one in the bar watching the game that was cheering when the Sioux scored. I didn't cheer too loudly. It didn't look like a happy place.

Edited by dagies

Since this has digressed into our favorite Sioux/Gopher moments my top 2 are:

1. Neal Broten's acrobatic game-winner (I believe, 12 yrs. old at the time) in the 1979 Championship game where he speeds up the left side, plays the puck around a pilon (sioux defender) and flips it over a diving goaltender (who inexplicably came out of the net) while getting cross-checked from behind. What that Iwabuchi (probably butchering the name)?

2. Keith Ballard ripping the jersey over the head of some Sioux player (I'm sure some of you know who) in his defensive zone(should have been called a penalty), joining the play and scoring the game-winner in overtime to knock the Sioux out of the playoffs. As I recall, the Sioux were having a down year.

I could be wrong on the details of these memories, but they are perfect in my mind as I remember them. ;)

I loved the Sioux/Gopher game in I believe the 1997-98 season in G.F. when the Sioux were down by about 3 goals going into the 3rd and we ended up winning. I remember WOOG standing up on the boards and yelling at the refs and the place was by far the loudest I have ever witnessed in a sporting event. I think DeBus was in goal?

P.S. I remember the old MSC channel and I was at the game when our Sioux player had his jersey pulled over his head. I think it was Notermann?

Cave - That was in OT of the Saturday night game during the first round of 2002 the WCHA playoffs. It was a rare down year for a Blais coached UND team (7th seed I believe because MN finished 3rd in the WCHA).

I have the Broten goal on my computer for an occasional viewing. :) Love or hate the Gophers, it was an amazing play. And, as long as we are reminiscing, how long did @#*!^$ Curtis Murphy play for UND? It seemed like he was at UND for a decade.....or at least he scored a decades worth of points against MN. ;):0

Since this has digressed into our favorite Sioux/Gopher moments my top 2 are:

1. Neal Broten's acrobatic game-winner (I believe, 12 yrs. old at the time) in the 1979 Championship game where he speeds up the left side, plays the puck around a pilon (sioux defender) and flips it over a diving goaltender (who inexplicably came out of the net) while getting cross-checked from behind. What that Iwabuchi (probably butchering the name)?

2. Keith Ballard ripping the jersey over the head of some Sioux player (I'm sure some of you know who) in his defensive zone(should have been called a penalty), joining the play and scoring the game-winner in overtime to knock the Sioux out of the playoffs. As I recall, the Sioux were having a down year.

I could be wrong on the details of these memories, but they are perfect in my mind as I remember them. ;)

3. Grant P. stepping out in front of the net and jamming the game winner passed a stunned Brandt and at least 7,000 Gopher haters. It was almost if he wanted to make them realize one last time how bad of a decision it was to turn their (arrogant) backs on him.

4. The opening of the Ralph II. Not really much at stake, but going into the third down two and watching the Sioux faithful on TV get real quiet real fast was just so weird. Of course not blowing the resulting two goal lead was a weird change as well. It was certainly a sign that good things were in store for the '02 Gophers.

Of course the Sioux have tons of huge wins against the Gophs as well. The '97 Final Five and last years Frozen Four were among toughest to swallow.

One thing that has become clear to me is that when the Gophers are better than the Sioux they better win the NCAAs, because it doesn't happen that often.

The Pioneer Press says that Shepherd will be trying out a new face shield in Grand Forks this weekend while doing the Sioux/Gophs games.

"Zelkin, who needed three stitches for his cut, is expected to wear a shield in the future, and Derek Shepherd also will try one when he works the Minnesota-North Dakota series this weekend at Engelstad Arena." -PP Bruce Brothers

Were screwed you will see a riduclous amount of penalties called this weekend.

Let's get it straight, the Fox Sports North is for the GOPHERS not MINNESOTA because they could care less about MSU-M, UMD, St. Cloud, and Bemidji State. There is a huge difference between FSSN and FSN-North. FSN-North is not the Gophers' personal TV station (which is another rant for another board) so why not have guest announcers?

Word from the Penalty Box is some people are unhappy with Bruce Ciskie because he is too negative about the team, but I have noticed the KDAL broadcast team is pretty fair and gives credit where credit is due. Bruce is brand new this year though, so he doesn't have 17 years of Bulldog hockey games behind him.

I don't see anything wrong with being a homer though. Aren't we all?

If FSN is not the Home of Gopher Hockey what station is? FSN is the only station that televises their games, they have signage all over the arena, they have a signed contract with the University. WCCO is the radio radio station of the Gophers so I'm curious on why FSN is not the TV station. I agree with you, I wish FSN did some games for Duluth, St. Cloud, Mankato, etc. have these schools looked into it?

I've definitely enjoyed the season series for the last decade:

6 times UND with the edge

3 times tied

1 time MN with the edge

All I can say is, it's been fun. Especially living in the Twin Cities.

Do you think you will still be enjoying it in three years when the last of the dominant late '90s UND teams falls out of the "decade" window? It will be be pretty dang close with the Gophers holding a game edge since 1/1/00.

This is rediculous. How can today be only Wednesday?

Do you think you will still be enjoying it in three years when the last of the dominant late '90s UND teams falls out of the "decade" window? It will be be pretty dang close with the Gophers holding a game edge since 1/1/00.

This is rediculous. How can today be only Wednesday?

Even when those years fall off, MN still has only won the season series once in the last ten years. Of course, that one year was a season when MN had arguably its best team of the decade, and UND had unarguably its worst, and the two teams just had to play seven times that season.

You think you're dying to see the games this weekend? I'm probably the most rabid UND fan left who has not actually seen the team play yet this year. (Despite that, I'm allowed by this strange medium (the internet) to pretend to be an expert on them.)

Were screwed you will see a riduclous amount of penalties called this weekend.

The officiating in the WCHA has been suspect for a while, and how do they propose to fix this -- make Greg Sheppard a full-time position. He and his good ol' boys network are the reason for the problems. For instance suspending a linesman for making a good checking from behind penalty against the gophers years ago. Evidently Shep has changed his tune about checking from behind now, but back then he was amazed that a linesman would take it upon himself to do the right thing.

While true, that stat is a little misleading. The tally is close only because the Gophers had the good fortune of meeting the unusually underachieving 2001 UND squad 7 times (additional games were to open REA and 1st round WCHA playoffs). The year-by-year tally of UND victories over the Gophers, 00's only since you think UND hasn't been dominating Minnesota in that era:

2000-01 2.5/4

2001-02 1/7

2002-03 1/2

2003-04 3/5

2004-05 3/4

I don't mind being on the North Dakota side of that list of results (references to National Championships in that era intentionally omitted because that information is so hard to tally).

One of the most enjoyable MN/UND hockey games to watch - despite the final result - was the WCHA FF championship game between MN & UND in 1997. The teams ended up tied for the regular season title and the FF final goes to OT? How much better can it get? It was a great game to watch and basically determined which of the two teams would get the first round bye in the NCAA's while the loser would get Michigan in (surprise) Michigan. It was the start of a magical couple weeks for the Sioux.

One of the most enjoyable MN/UND hockey games to watch - despite the final result - was the WCHA FF championship game between MN & UND in 1997.

I can say the same words about the 2004 game. Wow, the talent on the ice in that game! The building was electric, the teams were flying, shots something like 38-37. When they showed the game again during the NHL lockout last year, it held up very well. Then it was followed a few weeks later by that abomination of a title game between Maine and Denver. College hockey at its best and worst separated by just a few weeks.

One of the most enjoyable MN/UND hockey games to watch - despite the final result - was the WCHA FF championship game between MN & UND in 1997. The teams ended up tied for the regular season title and the FF final goes to OT? How much better can it get? It was a great game to watch and basically determined which of the two teams would get the first round bye in the NCAA's while the loser would get Michigan in (surprise) Michigan. It was the start of a magical couple weeks for the Sioux.

That was an incredible game. Giving some love to the gophers, there was the Final Five championship game from 2004, which was also a great game to watch, and a close second to 1997 as an "exciting" game.

1997 I was on the edge of my seat for most of the game. If I remember correctly, the game see-sawed back and forth throughout. I can still see Armbrust and the loose puck at the moment before he shot......

1997 what a great year. I remember watching that Final Five game at a college buddies house in Duluth. The house was filled with guys who were from the metro area and three of us from Fargo. One of the few games I watched on TV where I felt butterflies. That game signified IMO the rebirth of the Sioux program :0 and the end of the Woog era. ;)

A few beers were consumed that night!! :):D