SiouxSports.com Forum

CRIPPLED GOPHERS (vs) MIGHTY SIOUX!

01grad

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting swept by the Badgers at home definetly stings quite a bit, man they are the real deal this year, that Elliot kid is PHENOMINAL!

I don't think the Gophers goaltending is that bad right now, it's just their defense is horrible. Each goal that Briggs let in on Friday he was totally hung out to dry by the defense. Anything less then a split for the Gophers this weekend and the downward spiral may really kick into effect.

A buddy and I are making the trek up so either way it will be a good time, look forward to one heck of a series.

Off topic question for some Sioux faithful though, what is the cab situation in Grand Forks, is their a fair amount of different companies in the area, we lost our sober cab this year so we need to find a cab service. Any help would be appreciated. For sure a cab driver that can find the place that has the Grinders, the Red Pepper I think it was. ;)

There are two cab companies in town, Grand Forks Taxi - 780-8890/775-8294 & Nodak RadioCab - 772-3456. Both should know where the Red Pepper is located on University. You should probably go to a Bar such as Dagwoods or El Roco and take their bus to the arena and back to the bar. I'm sure there are other bars with buses but I only know these two; maybe Whitey's, Southgate.

There are two cab companies in town, Grand Forks Taxi - 780-8890/775-8294 & Nodak RadioCab - 772-3456. Both should know where the Red Pepper is located on University. You should probably go to a Bar such as Dagwoods or El Roco and take their bus to the arena and back to the bar. I'm sure there are other bars with buses but I only know these two; maybe Whitey's, Southgate.

Thank you for the info, it is much appreciated. Especially the part about the buses going to and from some of the bars, that is great. :0

This should be a great week.

Tomorrow we should find out that 3 players are on the U.S. World Junior team and that Toews will get to try our for Canada. Hopefully another Zajac will commit. We will get a few points this weekend and maybe another player or two will be here on visits and give verbals.

That would make it the perfect weekend.

The WCCO guys said that the Sioux are just a .500 team and the Gophers should do well.

Hmmm, that's a well educated statement.

golden chokers: 7-5-4

FIGHTING SIOUX 10-5-1

Yes, it is early, but these are the current records.

This summarizes why I hate the gophers. ARROGANCE. Win 2 more titles and then we'll talk boys.

Hmmm, that's a well educated statement.

golden chokers: 7-5-4

FIGHTING SIOUX 10-5-1

Yes, it is early, but these are the current records.

This summarizes why I hate the gophers. ARROGANCE. Win 2 more titles and then we'll talk boys.

Yeah, but our conference records are pretty close to 500.

Oh, please Sioux, continue this degradation of UMTC. I can't begin to tell you how much I'm enjoying it. I hate the Gophers more with every passing year. I'm ready to slap Mankato students who give me the "I've been a Gophers fan all my life. I'll cheer for the Mavs against anybody else, but not the Gophers, and I cheer for the Gophers first" crap.

Make sure you hit the Spud Bar!!! ;):)

OHG

Edited by Sioux Traveler

Dear. Mr. Harrington and Briggs,

It will be good to see you again.

Mr. Spirko

P.S. I have enclosed a picture of all three of us to celebrate old times.

tnimg15756zo.jpg

HEY, Chris Harrington is a great hockey player.......for whoever is playing against the GOphers. ;) I've had about all I can of his stupid penalties and boneheaded mistakes.

Oh, please Sioux, continue this degradation of UMTC. I can't begin to tell you how much I'm enjoying it. I hate the Gophers more with every passing year. I'm ready to slap Mankato students who give me the "I've been a Gophers fan all my life. I'll cheer for the Mavs against anybody else, but not the Gophers, and I cheer for the Gophers first" crap.

I had the same problem with "friends" when I went to UND in the late 80's early 90's. They cheered for UND until the gophers came to town. They hurt my feelings, and are all buried nicely in my backyard! :0

Okay, I'm just kidding....I don't have a backyard! ;)

Mr. Spirko

tnimg15756zo.jpg

I do hope the kids remember a very humbling October 2004 when an embarrassed gopher team came back from a 4-2 loss to spank UND for a 6-0 shutout. Just keep it real, guys, and play your game.

I do hope the kids remember a very humbling October 2004 when an embarrassed gopher team came back from a 4-2 loss to spank UND for a 6-0 shutout. Just keep it real, guys, and play your game.

I'm just so looking forward to not seeing Greene, Jones, Fuher, Schneider. I'm sure the new guys on the Sioux blueline are good, but I suspect there will be plenty of goals for both sides this weekend.

Those were the days. Standing outside freezing our asses off for hours outside the old Ralph. Fun stuff!

My introduction to the Sioux-Gopher series was on a brutal February evening, with -22 degree temps (without wind chill). At the time, it really sucked, but now that I looked back, it was an awesome experience. The Gopher's came in that weekend rated #1 in the country and had a 19 game winning streak (with Brian Bonin being their leading scorer). Sioux won 8-2 the first night and something like 6-2 the second night. Teeder Wynne became the nation's leading scorer after that weekend, and it was by far, the best series I ever took part in (although the great comeback a few years later, where the Sioux scored 5 goals in the 3rd period to win 5-3 was good too). Let's hope for another great weekend for the Sioux!!!

I forgot the other part of the letter:

Mr. Briggs and Harrington, the offer still stands, I will provide the money necessary to replace your jocks that went missing...it is the gentlemanly thing to do.

I know this is mentioned in the Sioux Name part of this message board but it is worth mentioning here as well:

At the Minnesota series, members from some of the Sioux tribes will be present in the box Kupchella normally sits at when he views the game (Quite possibly the one behind the student section).

Kupchella has arranged this, as I read on the Sioux Name thread, to show the Sioux tribal members how we behave "in the harshest of sport situations." I don't care to speculate as to what that is supposed to mean, but I will say this:

As much as the Gophers deserve jeering, disrespect, and all, I think it would be wise to curb the F bombs and take a little off of the edginess to the student section this weekend in the interest of keeping the Name.

I have no suggestions to replace all the "F the Gophers" chants or what could be done to remedy this, even if it is only the short term, but you have to realize that these Sioux tribal leaders already have voiced their one sided opinions against the name and are expecting us to justify their position. Not to mention the possibility that the media who will undoubtedly be covering this facet of the series will be looking for negative press as well. Negative news increases viewership/readership.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T GIVE OUR OPPONENTS MORE WEAPONS!!!!!

If the main concern (and I think this is legit) is the students and what they might yell, why not get something printed up telling them what the deal is? I would bet over 90% of the students that sit in those sections during games are very much in support of the nickname. If they know what they yell could be detrimental they just might shut up for once...Just a thought.

Mr. Spirko

I didn't realize which goal that was and made a really boneheaded post...

But how did you know that was my favorite Spirko goal ever??? I was screaming my head off after that and the Gopher band geeks were yelling at me.

Plus the "letter" keeps cracking me up.

I'm just so looking forward to not seeing Greene, Jones, Fuher, Schneider. I'm sure the new guys on the Sioux blueline are good, but I suspect there will be plenty of goals for both sides this weekend.

I agree. Because MN's recent defensive weakness has been so widely viewed (what with the TV contract), it's easy to see the Sioux forwards getting their chances to score. Most distant observers don't realize how many chances the Sioux are giving up this year, though. Here are UND's shots allowed this year. It's remarkable how many more shots UND goalies have faced on Saturday than on Friday.

37 Miami

35 MSU

19 NE

18 NE

23 UNH

43 UNH

28 DU

25 DU

24 Wisco

46 Wisco

29 UMD

43 UMD

26 SCSU

43 SCSU

19 MTU

44 MTU

That's right, on the last four Saturdays, UND has allowed an average of 44 shots per game. That includes allowing more than 40 to UMD, SCSU and Michigan Tech. What is MN going to get, 70? Jordy Parise has truly been UND's MVP this year.

I agree. Because MN's recent defensive weakness has been so widely viewed (what with the TV contract), it's easy to see the Sioux forwards getting their chances to score. Most distant observers don't realize how many chances the Sioux are giving up this year, though. Here are UND's shots allowed this year. It's remarkable how many more shots UND goalies have faced on Saturday than on Friday.

37 Miami

35 MSU

19 NE

18 NE

23 UNH

43 UNH

28 DU

25 DU

24 Wisco

46 Wisco

29 UMD

43 UMD

26 SCSU

43 SCSU

19 MTU

44 MTU

That's right, on the last four Saturdays, UND has allowed an average of 44 shots per game. That includes allowing more than 40 to UMD, SCSU and Michigan Tech. What is MN going to get, 70? Jordy Parise has truly been UND's MVP this year.

Just because you allow a lot of shots against UMD does not necessarily mean it's a bad thing... the Dogs are constantly out-shooting their opponents and losing.

But hey! Don't lump us in with Tech, for crying out loud! ;)

jk @ Dec 5 2005, 03:27 PM)

Now remember ussually we have beaten our opponent on Friday night and the opposing team has come out of the gate smoking on Saturday. Oh well we have won most of them.

Mr. Spirko

tnimg15756zo.jpg

Those two will have a sunburn from the red lights going on by saturday evening. I just beg some goofer fan to come on here talking about how grea Briggs is and that we are going to get crushed this weekend.

happy, skippy, slappy. Anyone? Let me just be on record that the Goofers don't scare me one bit. Sure, I will give kudos to Phil Kessel but he is one player and UND has must as many skilled playes as they do.

Besides I like our defense better than theirs.

If the main concern (and I think this is legit) is the students and what they might yell, why not get something printed up telling them what the deal is? I would bet over 90% of the students that sit in those sections during games are very much in support of the nickname. If they know what they yell could be detrimental they just might shut up for once...Just a thought.

A few things:

1. I'm going to Washington DC tommorrow so I won't be in town

2. I live in Fargo and it isn't easy for me to get up to Grand Forks anymore ;)

3. Cost and permissions necessary to distribute

4. THe likelihood that these letters will end up like so many other leaflets placed in the cup holders in the student section: on the ice.

5. As pessimistic as this sounds: Will anyone a: read it and b: follow the instructions?

I'm NOT opposed to this, I'm just not the right guy to spearhead it. I would, though, if I were still in GF. :0

If anyone is there and willing to do it even if it is Grassroots, it would be much appreciated.