SiouxSports.com Forum

Paukovich article in the DENVER POST

Fighting Sioux #1

From todays Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_3158816

"Paukovich played against the Sioux in the NCAA title game. He said he was threatened by North Dakota players during the game.

"Their team, they like to intimidate," Paukovich said. "They were saying stuff when I was on the ice but you got to expect that. That's the kind of team they are."

He's bracing for the worst this weekend. "

"I've talked to the coaches about it, and if that situation was to arise, (it's OK). If it happens Friday, they're fine with me settling it, because I'd just be out for Saturday," Paukovich said. "But as the series goes into Saturday, the coaches would be more concerned, because I'd be out the first game next week.

"Either way, the only way they'd let me handle it that way is if something happens to me first, like if I get jumped."

Paukovich is such a loser! A Todd Bertuzzi wanna be! I don't think he fully understands what he did. He will get his in due time, but I think the Sioux are more concerned about getting 4 points this weekend.

Don't get me wrong, I think that if a situation arises and Paukovich is ripe for a good hit, then we should take it.

Also, if Paukovich gets a penalty, I think the entire student section should stand and chant Robbie Bina's name in unison for the entire time he is in the box.

I don't know. Saying "They were saying stuff when I was on the ice but you got to expect that. That's the kind of team they are." seems kind of cheap. Especially coming from him.

DITTO

I don't know. Saying "They were saying stuff when I was on the ice but you got to expect that. That's the kind of team they are." seems kind of cheap. Especially coming from him.

Or, saying that he might get JUMPED ?!?!?

I wasn't party to the on-ice conversations, but I guess I wouldn't be at all surprised if the tough Sioux defensemen last year, especially the captain, did have plenty to say. It also may be pretty accurate that last year's Sioux team was that type of team, where intimidation played a big role on the ice. That may be why some teams wanted nothing to do with the crease after a period or so of pounding.

I wouldn't say it in the press if I were him, because it seems pretty inflammatory. But it doesn't seem wildly off the mark.

That part rubs me the wrong way, inferring that the Sioux are cheap so he might expect a cheap shot is more than a little over the top coming from him. Would guess the student section will take care of most of the business with Punko.

As for the rest, no problem.

I wasn't party to the on-ice conversations, but I guess I wouldn't be at all surprised if the tough Sioux defensemen last year, especially the captain, did have plenty to say. It also may be pretty accurate that last year's Sioux team was that type of team, where intimidation played a big role on the ice. That may be why some teams wanted nothing to do with the crease after a period or so of pounding.

I wouldn't say it in the press if I were him, because it seems pretty inflammatory. But it doesn't seem wildly off the mark.

I agree....telling the press is like running to Mommy with a problem!!! :)

I don't think he said anything wrong. What would you expect him to say at this point?

p.s. Not saying he's a good guy.

I agree with jk on this one. There isn't much for him to say other than this. It all comes down to interpretation. The thing I see that interested me was that he'd only "settle it" if we did something first.

I don't know why, but that makes me feel better. After all, last season, Pauko spent the early half yapping and taunting and the second half injuring our players. It is hard to say he initiated the yapping, but there was no cheap hit to precede the Bina hit.

I don't care really what he has to say in truth. All I care about is beating the Pios at the Ralph. What Pauko does is his business and I pray Hak has enough control over his players to allow Pauko to do all of the cheap stuff and leave the Sioux business on the scoreboard.

From this Denver fan's perspective, judging from some of the things written here, USCHO, and said in the press, Paukovich probably has every reason to feel he might be "jumped". All kinds of threats on these boards, all kinds of verbal threats at the Frozen Four (I heard several myself). Even Smaby and Prpich's comments in today's Grand Forks paper could be interpreted as quasi-threatening.

All that said, I hope nothing happens. This is too good of a hockey series to see it marred by vigilante justice.

"I've talked to the coaches about it, and if that situation was to arise, (it's OK). If it happens Friday, they're fine with me settling it, because I'd just be out for Saturday," Paukovich said. "But as the series goes into Saturday, the coaches would be more concerned, because I'd be out the first game next week.

Yeah, good thinking -- much more important to have Paukovich available for both games in the killer Michigan Tech series than both at UND. And these brilliant coaches somehow managed to win two national championships? :)

Seriously, up until this point I've somewhat disregarded the riled up fans as... well... riled up fans. But it seriously sounds like Paukovich is coming looking for a fight, trying to plan the best timing for a DQ. It seems his plan is: whine that he thinks UND players are cheap thugs and he's concerned for his very LIFE!, plan when to optimally start a fight... [figure out the optimal UND player to take out, start premeditated fight, whine about how UND thugs got in fight with him?]

Lest he forget, there has only been one actual major incident of violence between the Sioux and Paukovich, and Paukovich was NOT on the angelic side of it.

From this Denver fan's perspective, judging from some of the things written here, USCHO, and said in the press, Paukovich probably has every reason to feel he might be "jumped". All kinds of threats on these boards, all kinds of verbal threats at the Frozen Four (I heard several myself). Even Smaby and Prpich's comments in today's Grand Forks paper could be interpreted as quasi-threatening.

All that said, I hope nothing happens. This is too good of a hockey series to see it marred by vigilante justice.

Good god, Swami, are message board fans going to jump him through the internet, then over the glass? Paukovich is of questionable character, given his past in addition to the Bina hit and last weekend's incident. If you'd like us to think he's above all this, you may not want to hold your breath. :) Paukovich has thrown the only cheap shot vs. the Sioux, against Bina, and the teams played two more games following the incident and nothing more than talk on the ice has occurred. I'm sure that's the only incident ever where players make comments to each other on the ice. Don't doubt that Sioux fans will be all over Paukovich verbally, if that's not expected, you've never been to a hockey game at any level, which I know you have. As for the Punk's comment, it also sounds that not only Paukovich but the Denver coaching staff are planning the best night for a fight; Prpich' and Smaby's comments in the paper pale by comparison.

I'll be watching the game on TV, so no matter what I think of the Punk, it won't make a difference.

Screw Paukovich, if he's looking for sympathy he ain't going to find it here. That "Missing Link" is like school on Sunday....NO CLASS!!!! From this play on the ice to his sketchy past, and you guys know what I'm talking about when I say his past. To bad bad he didn't get drafted by the Vancouver Canucks, he would fit in well with that tool Todd Bertuzzi.

You can't let a guy like Pauk go unpunished for that crap that he did to Bina. I don't care about suspensions he must get his butt whooped. It's how it goes. Don't tell me you don't want to see violence either. Everyone wants to see violence.

I elect Smaby to clean his dirty clock.

were not cheap were hostile & abusive :)

YES!!

Exactly. The only statement that raises my eyebrows is "that's the kind of team they are". But that can be interpreted 2 ways. One way is obvious, the other has already been mentioned. The Sioux team WAS intimidating to many teams last year. I'm sure they played the part.

As for Paukovich's or Gwoz's worries about the fan reaction, I'm comfortable enough with my mimimal masculinity to tell this story. I tell it because I'm pretty sure most all the fans are not disimilar from me.

At the Final Five last year, as Bina lay on the ice and Paukovich skated to the box, we were 11 rows up from him. I was screaming bloody murder at Paukovich, telling him he was a cheap axx, and to sit is cheap axx down, blah blah blah.

A yahoo Sioux fan in the row above me decided he needed to tell me that I wouldn't say that to Paukovich's face. No effing kidding. But guess where we aren't? In the parking lot. We happen to be at a sporting event. He's on the ice. I'm in the stands. I didn't like what he did, and I let him have it.

Am I so stupid as to think it really matters?

No.

That's why I posted in another thread somewhere that we fans "win or lose" every game. We just can't play the game. We're not going to beat up Paukovich, but we're going to get our "pound of flesh" in our own way.

Does this Bozo realize that he broke a guys neck?:) He was lucky that Bina wasn't killed and he is lucky that someone hasn't killed him! Pauk is made of the same dirt that that makes up Greene, Smaby, and Commadore. For Pauk to whine about how aggressive and intimidating the Sioux are is silly. Hockey is Hockey, $#*! happens, move on!

Paukovich is such a loser! A Todd Bertuzzi wanna be! I don't think he fully understands what he did. He will get his in due time, but I think the Sioux are more concerned about getting 4 points this weekend.

Don't get me wrong, I think that if a situation arises and Paukovich is ripe for a good hit, then we should take it.

Also, if Paukovich gets a penalty, I think the entire student section should stand and chant Robbie Bina's name in unison for the entire time he is in the box.

Let's get real, who wouldnt want to be Todd Bertuzzi?

We can't lower ourselves to his level. That vigilante attitude will only hurt us. I would like to see our players display the ultimate in class and take the high road. Beat them in hockey, not boxing.

I elect we beat them in both!

From todays Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_3158816

"Paukovich played against the Sioux in the NCAA title game. He said he was threatened by North Dakota players during the game.

"Their team, they like to intimidate," Paukovich said. "They were saying stuff when I was on the ice but you got to expect that. That's the kind of team they are."

He's bracing for the worst this weekend. "

"Either way, the only way they'd let me handle it that way is if something happens to me first, like if I get jumped."

What type of reception does this idiot expect to recieve in Grand Forks? What he did is not quite as bad as Bertuzzi but its not far behind. I really hope someone takes him out.

We can't lower ourselves to his level. That vigilante attitude will only hurt us. I would like to see our players display the ultimate in class and take the high road. Beat them in hockey, not boxing.

Yes we can and we should, Its called evening a score.

Someone that work with listened to Mac talk the other day and apparently this came up in the discussion and apparently Punkovich wouldn't fight anyone from UND, and that he is basically a chicken S#!t gutless wonder and probably won't fight this weekend. If you listen to what the Sioux players are saying it appears that someone from UND is going to challenge him and get it on. If you read the aritcle it basically sounds as if his coach Goz is giving him the go ahead to do what he has to do, I don't care what some think, this is part of the game of hockey and has to be settled. If this is not collected or it will fester like the Bertuzzi incident did and get more ugly.

I have no respect for what this guy did, I saw the hit, I saw the smirk in the penatly box, the kid is an ass and a classless act in my opinion. At least Bertuzzi showed some remorse quicker than this thug did. He has a debt to pay. Its time to collect on it.

Good god, Swami, are message board fans going to jump him through the internet, then over the glass? .

LOL, I am not so sure I can go over the glass from the upper deck.