SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Smaby the captain

Gaggle

Haven't seen it posted anywhere, my cousin in Grand Forks heard that Smaby is the captain and Mike Prpich and Chris Porter are the assistants.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It appeared at the Manitoba game, as the players gathered around Parise before the start of the game, that Smaby was the player giving the team a pep talk, which is typically done by the captain. He looked very animated in the "huddle."

Congrats to the captians. I mentioned this before somewhere, that this is a very big season for Matt Smaby and my guess is Tampa will be watching him closer than ever. His role has changed alot since last season. I think this is where the coaches saw him when he first joined the Sioux (leading the team and counted on heavily for solid defense for probably 30+ minutes a game). He's got big shoes to fill, but he learned from the best (Greene, Jones Schneider) and should do a great job this year. The young d-men are really going to look towards him for direction. Great choice by the team for a cap. Good luck to all three of them they have their work cut out.

Good luck to our captains!

I was thinking Smaby might have enough to do just keeping the young D together without captaining the team, but if he's the guy they want, that's fine with me. He played great down the stretch last spring, and if he can continue that he'll have the leadership on ice part down.

He played great down the stretch last spring, and if he can continue that he'll have the leadership on ice part down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hakstol said on media day that he thought Smaby was UND's best defenseman during the playoffs. I certainly wouldn't argue the point.

I don't know, usually after a scrum the captain is the one talking to the official seeing what penalties will be called.....Prpich will already be in the box.... :silly:

PS: I liked how they introduced the captains last tonight during the scrimmage tonight, added a little bit of excitement.

Big win for the Green team!! 5-1

PS:  I liked how they introduced the captains last tonight during the scrimmage tonight, added a little bit of excitement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course I already knew the captains because they had the C's and A's on their jerseys during warm-ups, so it added no excitement. :silly:

It appeared at the Manitoba game, as the players gathered around Parise before the start of the game, that Smaby was the player giving the team a pep talk, which is typically done by the captain.  He looked very animated in the "huddle."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You sittin' in my seats again? :silly:

Congrats to Matt, Mike and Chris.

Other than the announcement of the captains, did anything interesting happen at the scrimmage tonight?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing interesting really, the lines were pretty much the same as on Sunday. Oshie had a ridiculous goal (beating Finley) and Stafford had a couple of nice goals.

Toews, Zajac, Stafford (Green)

Porter, Duncan, Spirko (White)

Oshie, Kaip, Watkins (Green)

Prpich, Fabian, Kozek (White)

Foyt, Martens, Miller (Green)

Smaby, Lee (White)

Chorney, Jones (Green)

Radke, Finley (White)

Marvin, Alexander (Green)

(I may have a couple of the forward lines mixed up).

I think it is definitely a dude holding a guitar. And in my opinion, sort of resembles Dave Matthews. Pretty cool looking helmet. Go Sioux !!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was kind of surprised that Stafford will not wear a letter. I think he is primed for a big year in what unfortunately is likely his senior season. Obviously the fans are not in tune with the inner workings of the team so I am sure the three guys are well deserving. Should be an exciting season with lots of potential.

It's hard to get any good analysis of players from a scrimmage like this as they do this more for the enjoyment of the fans. However Sundays exhibition was somewhat of a better indication of things. Smaby showed why he was deserving of the "C" as he was a solid physical force and leader on the ice. Lee was stellar and his adjustment time will hopefully be brief. Jones and Chorney work well together and I'm guessing Jones learned a valuable lesson from the goal that was scored on him. Stafford, Spirko, And Zajack could be first line for anyone in the country, so hopefully their dominance will continue. Toews had many opputunities in front of the net and made some good passes down there so it is just a matter of time before he gets on the scoresheet. After watching Sunday's game I'd like to see a big dose of watkins, Duncan, Kozek because that would be a great speed/scoring line. Fabian, Prphc, Kaip could be the heavy hitters. Radke is going to be a threat on the blueline with both him and Lee not afraid to get involved in the offensive side of things. Oshie was the best face off gut on the ice Sunday, without a doubt. Also he's always pusuing the play. I'd love to see him Toews and Porter play together, I think they could be the next Stafford Zajack, Spirko combo. One last thing, Finley moves well for a big man at least I thought he did as I watched him last night. Bottom line is this is going to be a great team when everthing shakes out and very fun to watch from a fans point of view.

Ridiculous as in WOW?!

Or ridiculous as in what the heck were Finley and the goalie doing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was a very impressive goal. Some how he went from his backhand to forehand about a foot in front of the goalie and shelved it glove side.

The "C" on Smaby's sweater is the culmination of a pretty amazing trip for this talented young man. I was one of the most vocal, and at times vicious, critics of Matt's play last year. He perhaps didn't deserve all of the bad-mouthing he received, but at times Matt was, frankly, not a very good defenseman.

Starting sometime in the second half of last year (coincidentally about the same time the team turned up the gas!) Smaby did a complete 180 and started playing with confidence, power and grace, fulfilling the promise he brought with him when he came to UND two years ago. He was the best d-man on the ice (with apologies to Matts Greene and Jones) down the stretch. So his election as Captain this year is not that surprising.

What amazes me more though, is the apparent personal maturation Matt has experienced. I remember the first time I met Matt and he was physically imposing (he's 7 or 8 inches taller than I am). But he was quiet, reserved and almost shy. He was with Chris Porter, and Chris was obviously the leader of the duo, speaking openly and candidly about life as a UND freshman. Matt hung back and added little to the conversation, even though I tried to draw him into the exchange. Another meeting, at a brightly-painted sandwich and taco establishment in Grand Forks, did little to change my impression of Matt as a quiet follower.

Based on what I saw on the ice late last year, and how he not only played Sunday afternoon, but also his very vocal and demonstrative leadership in the "huddle" and during play, Matt has come of age; both as a hockey player and as a young man.

What was the deal with that "Duck, Duck Goose" sort of drill the Green team did in warmups? Never saw that before but it was pretty cool when Oshie (I think) jumped over a teammate (looked like Digger Anderson's vault en route to the touchdown last year)