SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Smaby the captain

Gaggle

The "C" on Smaby's sweater is the culmination of a pretty amazing trip for this talented young man. I was one of the most vocal, and at times vicious, critics of Matt's play last year. He perhaps didn't deserve all of the bad-mouthing he received, but at times Matt was, frankly, not a very good defenseman.

Starting sometime in the second half of last year (coincidentally about the same time the team turned up the gas!) Smaby did a complete 180 and started playing with confidence, power and grace, fulfilling the promise he brought with him when he came to UND two years ago. He was the best d-man on the ice (with apologies to Matts Greene and Jones) down the stretch. So his election as Captain this year is not that surprising.

What amazes me more though, is the apparent personal maturation Matt has experienced. I remember the first time I met Matt and he was physically imposing (he's 7 or 8 inches taller than I am). But he was quiet, reserved and almost shy. He was with Chris Porter, and Chris was obviously the leader of the duo, speaking openly and candidly about life as a UND freshman. Matt hung back and added little to the conversation, even though I tried to draw him into the exchange. Another meeting, at a brightly-painted sandwich and taco establishment in Grand Forks, did little to change my impression of Matt as a quiet follower.

Based on what I saw on the ice late last year, and how he not only played Sunday afternoon, but also his very vocal and demonstrative leadership in the "huddle" and during play, Matt has come of age; both as a hockey player and as a young man.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very nice input!

As most of you know, I've been an adamant supporter of Matt Smaby, at one point being called his 'biggest fan'. I saw flashes of greatness during his sophomore year in leadership but I never expected the 'C'. I think it really is how far he's come that got him the letter. It's always better to have a leader who knows what it is like to be at the top and at the bottom of one's game when the pressure is on to lead the team. Matt's done that and I think he makes a good Captain.

I mean no disrespect to Prpich, but I don't think an instigator like him should have to worry about a letter. He says one thing on the ice, stuff that gets under the skin of the other team and then is expected to turn around and say another. I'd rather him stick to his strengths and have Stafford wear the A in his stead.

That being said, Zach Parise didn't wear a letter at UND but he was always considered a leader his sophomore year. Maybe Stafford will be the same way this year.

I mean no disrespect to Prpich, but I don't think an instigator like him should have to worry about a letter.  He says one thing on the ice, stuff that gets under the skin of the other team and then is expected to turn around and say another.  I'd rather him stick to his strengths and have Stafford wear the A in his stead. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Prpich brings a lot more to the table than being an instigator. He's one of the best penalty killers, plays very well in his own end, takes abuse in front of the net so linemates can get some space, forechecks, etc. He's incredibly tough and played with a serious shoulder injury last season without talking about it much. I can understand why his teammates would respect him so much. I also noticed that he played center on Sunday. One of the reasons was undoubtedly his ability to help the young d-men out deep in their zone and even behind the net.

I mean no disrespect to Prpich, but I don't think an instigator like him should have to worry about a letter.  He says one thing on the ice, stuff that gets under the skin of the other team and then is expected to turn around and say another.  I'd rather him stick to his strengths and have Stafford wear the A in his stead. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you know what goes on in the locker rooms? Or when these guys hang out with each other? There are a lot of things that weigh on a player's mind when making his decision on the captains. Obviously, leadership qualities on the ice are key, but off the ice qualities also play a factor.

Really amazed to hear Smaby was chosen Captain! Based on the forum's earlier predictions, I would think the majority of viewers are too. Obviously, the players see leadership qualities in him that the public wasn't witness to during the last season. Even more so, Prpich chosen over Stafford?? Could it be that Stafford is only 19 and older guys have some difficulty with that? Hopefully Drew will continue to show strong leadership skills and the dominance he demonstrated in Sunday's game, despite the lack of a letter on his jersey, like ZPar did.

Really amazed to hear Smaby was chosen Captain!  Based on the forum's earlier predictions, I would think the majority of viewers are too.  Obviously, the players see leadership qualities in him that the public wasn't witness to during the last season.  Even more so, Prpich chosen over Stafford?? Could it be that Stafford is only 19 and older guys have some difficulty with that?  Hopefully Drew will continue to show strong leadership skills and the dominance he demonstrated in Sunday's game, despite the lack of a letter on his jersey, like ZPar did.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The loyalty of sticking around another year may have been another factor as well. Regardless, if he plays like he did at the end of last season he is the right choice.

I don't agree on UND versus MN departures. Leopold is MN's great example of a player who stayed an extra year, and it paid off handsomely. There are plenty of good examples both ways. Jason Blake returned for his senior year. Hale, Greene and Smaby have all stayed for an extra year. For MN, Martin, Ballard, Taffe and Vanek all left early, similar to Commie, Parise, Bochesnki, etc.

This last offseason, Greene was SO ready for the next level. Based on his play near the end of the year, Potulny seemed clearly not ready physically for a higher level of hockey.

Fans of both teams would puke to even consider it, but the programs are more similar than different in this and other ways.

There are plenty of good examples both ways.  Jason Blake returned for his senior year.  Hale, Greene and Smaby have all stayed for an extra year. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget Matt Jones from last season. He could have left early, too.