SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I think it's in somewhat poor taste speculating on what Mario's decision may have been based on. There may very well have been some issues that may in fact have been put into the past already. We should all know by now that there are many factors that go into a recruit's decision, and rarely are they made fully public.

In this case, I wish Mario and Jacques well at NMU, except when they are shooting against their brother in net.

I was taken by surprise that Mario chose NMU over UND or Red Deer. If he wanted to play with a brother, he could have chosen to play with Phil at UND or Pierre at Red Deer. Northern Michigan is not going to be a super quality team ever, no offence to them. I think UND could win an NCAA title this year or next season, and Mario will wish he chose to play hockey with Phil at UND, no offence to Jacques. We missed out on Mario, in my opinion because of his parent's dis-interest with UND's handling of the goaltending situation the last two years. It's unfortunate that happened, but we missed out on having Grant Potulny and then Ryan Potulny and Danny Irmen because of their father too.

We don't really want players who will have parents that just meddle with the coaches' business, so Mario is better off at NMU. Good luck young Lammy, best of luck to you.

I think it's in somewhat poor taste speculating on what Mario's decision may have been based on. There may very well have been some issues that may in fact have been put into the past already. We should all know by now that there are many factors that go into a recruit's decision, and rarely are they made fully public.

In this case, I wish Mario and Jacques well at NMU, except when they are shooting against their brother in net.

i wouldn't say it is poor taste at all. just some posters opinions and some know more than others. just look at the scenerio. its not hard to figure out, best of luck to him as well. he turned down a UND schoalrship to go to northern michigan to play wth is other bro rather than phil. good for him. now lets concentrate on recruits that want to be here at UND. there are plenty of them.

Again, we will never know for sure. Is it coincidence that his announcement comes right after the Hextall signing. Maybe the Sioux got tired of waiting or maybe the team changed its mind. Or maybe he realized he will have more playing time on a top line at NMU. The possibilities are endless so we move on.

Again, we will never know for sure. Is it coincidence that his announcement comes right after the Hextall signing. Maybe the Sioux got tired of waiting or maybe the team changed its mind. Or maybe he realized he will have more playing time on a top line at NMU. The possibilities are endless so we move on.

exactly, we move on..................

Is it coincidence that his announcement comes right after the Hextall signing. Maybe the Sioux got tired of waiting or maybe the team changed its mind. Or maybe he realized he will have more playing time on a top line at NMU. The possibilities are endless so we move on.

Agreed, that is a coincidence.

And considering that Hextall and Mario are both gritty forwards, that seems to be a good trade-off for a recruit. Although with Brett's stats so far, it would seem that he has more scoring upside. :)

I was told by Mr. Ron Hextall that I was nuts!!!!! for naming my son( Hextall David Olson) That was the highlight of my life to meet( Ron Hextall )and have him meet my son last year at the Final 5......

As soon as we know Hextalls number next fall you can further honor the name by dressing your son in Kelly Green. :)

I was taken by surprise that Mario chose NMU over UND or Red Deer. If he wanted to play with a brother, he could have chosen to play with Phil at UND or Pierre at Red Deer. Northern Michigan is not going to be a super quality team ever, no offence to them. I think UND could win an NCAA title this year or next season, and Mario will wish he chose to play hockey with Phil at UND, no offence to Jacques. We missed out on Mario, in my opinion because of his parent's dis-interest with UND's handling of the goaltending situation the last two years. It's unfortunate that happened, but we missed out on having Grant Potulny and then Ryan Potulny and Danny Irmen because of their father too.

We don't really want players who will have parents that just meddle with the coaches' business, so Mario is better off at NMU. Good luck young Lammy, best of luck to you.

The Sioux missed out on Grant Potulny because they didn't give him a scholarship, and his brother followed him to Minnesota.

I agree with you, but I can assure you that his parents are not happy because they felt that he could have gone to UM and played the last 2 years (whether that is rational or not is not the issue). He came very close to going to UM and playing with Potulny and Irmen. It really doesn't matter anymore.

I wonder if Phil is happy? Thank god when I played sports (at a very low high school level, very very low) my parents didn't try to dictate to me what to do or when to be happy. These big time college recruits must have enough pressure on them already without having parents add fuel to the fire.

I agree that we should let the whole Mario and Phil situation go and move on, but I did want to make a quick statement first.

I know many of you wanted Mario to come to UND and that the rumors are that his father is unhappy with the situation Phil is in. The thing we need to remember is that those are just RUMORS and even if they are true, so be it. I would hope that this board would give more support to the family because Phil has worked very hard while he has been at UND. He has always been a great competitor and given the team his all. He has had problems with support, look at last year when the team averaged over 4 points a game with JPar, but less than 2 with Phil in the net. Those aspect have to be frustrating, and we may be missing some aspect of team dynamics that may be making Phil unhappy. I would hope this board would try to encourage Phil and not bash him because his brother chose to go elsewhere. Bottom line, we have a very skilled goaltender in Phil, and he will continue to work to improve himself and if the team and the community give him a chance I think we will all be pleased with the results. Any comments that are negative should not be aimed at him.

Again, I think enough is enough, why dwell on rumors and creat distrust, lets focus on the other recruits and the people we have on the team now.

Anyone else see yesterday's Wall Street Journal about the growing number of penalties in youth hockey (obstruction type penalties)? In the article they mention Ryan Frendewey, an 18 year old from Lake Linden, MI playing for the Marquette Electricians. In the article he says he has dreamed about playing for UND or Colorado College since he was four. The concern of these players is that with much of the game being played by special teams, they have few opportunities to impress scouts with regula 5-on-5 play.

Anyone else see yesterday's Wall Street Journal about the growing number of penalties in youth hockey (obstruction type penalties)? In the article they mention Ryan Frendewey, an 18 year old from Lake Linden, MI playing for the Marquette Electricians. In the article he says he has dreamed about playing for UND or Colorado College since he was four. The concern of these players is that with much of the game being played by special teams, they have few opportunities to impress scouts with regula 5-on-5 play.

When the kids quit with the infractions they will play 5v5... :) Teach them young...

what a fippin joke this situation has turned into. what ever happened to WAITING your turn, hell phil is gona have 2 full years to start for the sioux. if this is the reason mario is going to no mich then good luck, wow. so this means his sisters will be at minnesota where phil almost ended up at :) wow now that would have blown the big one!!

good luck mario, LETS SIGN RILEY NASH :(

I would love to see his sisters go to UND. I believe they are both at Shattuck. My guess is that UND has absolutly no chance of landing them. I am sure Minnesota, Duluth and the eastern powers are all over them by now.

[]

what a fippin joke this situation has turned into. what ever happened to WAITING your turn, hell phil is gona have 2 full years to start for the sioux. if this is the reason mario is going to no mich then good luck, wow. so this means his sisters will be at minnesota where phil almost ended up at :) wow now that would have blown the big one!!

[]

Waiting your turn!!!!! Did JP have to wait his turn?

Yes. Parise split time with Jake Brandt his freshman season. He split time with Lamoureux his sophomore season. He didn't become the No. 1 regular season goalie until his junior season -- just like Phil.

Parise was by no means given the number one spot from day 1. I believe he started splitting time with Brandt because Brandt kept screwing up on and off the ice. Phil is a very steady goaltender and will definately be able to guide his team to the frozen four. Do we know that the reason mario went to northern Michigan is because of his dad? For all we know, him and his jaques(sp) are closer beings they are closer in age. :) Lots of things could have come into play I suppose.

Parise was by no means given the number one spot from day 1. I believe he started splitting time with Brandt because Brandt kept screwing up on and off the ice.

Yeah. He screwed up UND all the way to a WCHA championship. :)

Parise was by no means given the number one spot from day 1. I believe he started splitting time with Brandt because Brandt kept screwing up on and off the ice. Phil is a very steady goaltender and will definately be able to guide his team to the frozen four. Do we know that the reason mario went to northern Michigan is because of his dad? For all we know, him and his jaques(sp) are closer beings they are closer in age. :) Lots of things could have come into play I suppose.

We don't know and shouldn't assume that his decision is based just on hockey. Maybe N. Michigan has some academic advantages in his preferred field of study :(

[]

How can he not be happy he is 3-1 and has a .930 save percentage and 1.5 gaa. I don't know about you guys but I would be happy.

Phil was ordained at the #1 guy this year about 0.02 milliseconds after Parise signed.

What more could a guy recruited as a #1 goalie want?

It's his job now until he gives it away.

Phil was ordained at the #1 guy this year about 0.02 milliseconds after Parise signed.

What more could a guy recruited as a #1 goalie want?

It's his job now until he gives it away.

Exactly, why does there always have to be some kind of conspiracy or controversy ? It is what it is, Phil has earned the right to start in goal. I see no reason to debate this any further.