SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

We need more info on this Corbin Knight?!

Would this be considered landing a big recruit? How would this compare to Matt White or Michael Parks?

theres been info posted on him, info on brads blog and you can find is stats on the ajhl website

hes a very good player. 12th in ajhl as a rookie this year and is a all star as a rookie

O' Donnell was also here awhile ago for a series, I can't remember which one, but I saw him being walked around with I assume his dad and Coach Jackson one saturday morning by the Sioux Shop and ticket office. I only know because Coach Jackson mentioned his name and I thought of the movie "Coyote Ugly", with Mr. O Donnell...anyone remember?

We need more info on this Corbin Knight?!

Would this be considered landing a big recruit? How would this compare to Matt White or Michael Parks?

I've finally learned, after a long time, that there's no way for us to know how someone's ultimately going to develop as a college player. The younger they are, the bigger the mystery. The only people with a decent feel for how a 15 or 16 year old is going to look as a 20 year old is someone who sees that growth in a sample of many players over many years, like, for instance, the coaches who recruit.

The "blue-chippers" that get your class ranked as one of the top in the country don't include some excellent college players. Chay Genoway was an afterthought to the cyber-experts, not even worth a mention, and he's one of the country's most dynamic players. More recently, Mr. Hextall wasn't considered a top recruit in the blog-world. It's a little early, but he looks like an impact player already, one I wouldn't trade straight-up for just about any other freshman.

So who knows about Knight, White or Parks. We'll see in one or two or three years.

He's also a ninth round pick of the WHL's Kootenay Ice in their 2007 draft.

http://whl.ca/draft/index.php?round=9&draft_id=4

An interesting stat, and a telling one.

USUALLY (there have been exceptions), the higher the round the prospect is picked, the less likely the player to go the college route. Of course, Toews was an exception.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that, off the top of my head, the following UND and former UND players were drafted by some MJ team or another:

Drew Stafford - Red Deer

Jonathan Toews - Tri City

Mario Lamoreaux - Red Deer (dunno if he was drafted, but he considered signing with them at one point)

David Toews

Travis Zajac?

I'm not at all sure of Zajac, but I'm 99% positive about the rest.

An interesting stat, and a telling one.

USUALLY (there have been exceptions), the higher the round the prospect is picked, the less likely the player to go the college route. Of course, Toews was an exception.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that, off the top of my head, the following UND and former UND players were drafted by some MJ team or another:

Drew Stafford - Red Deer

Jonathan Toews - Tri City

Mario Lamoreaux - Red Deer (dunno if he was drafted, but he considered signing with them at one point)

David Toews

Travis Zajac?

I'm not at all sure of Zajac, but I'm 99% positive about the rest.

usually the kids drafted later are considered to go the college route but just in case they hold the rights. malone was drafted as well i believe. its very rare for a MJ team take flyer on a kid if hes even 50/50. i have taken notice in the long list of recruits we have right now that we have NO BCHL players coming as of now. could just be the luck of the draw or maybe by purpose. many minnesota kids coming in the next 1-3 years and a couple ajhl players. great mix.

Another tidbit from Fargo Sioux Boosters Tuesday:

Dane Jackson made reference to a comment about UofM starting to cherry pick the prime recruits from northern Minnesota at the expense of UND. He said he'd specifically heard that Mike Lee, the Roseau goalie who was just named to the USHL All-Star team, and who is headed to play for the Gophers, was a sure sign that UND had lost its allure to northern MN high schoolers.

Jackson said that UND looked at Lee, but once they had Brad Eidsness' commitment in hand the coaches "knew we had our Number 1 goaltender". Not meant to be a knock on Mike Lee, merely to point out the confidence Hak et al had in Eidsness before he set foot on campus.

<snip>He said he'd specifically heard that Mike Lee, the Roseau goalie who was just named to the USHL All-Star team, and who is headed to play for the Gophers St. Cloud State Huskies, was a sure sign that UND had lost its allure to northern MN high schoolers.

i won't be the third person to point out he is a huskies recruit, but i think we missed out on a solid goaltender in lee. it may have come down to the fact that he wanted to come in after one year of juniors, and the sioux would have preferred him to come in after two, so that he and eidsness were two years apart? i know he is one of the frontrunners to be one of the goalies for next years world junior team, and he is having a very solid ushl campaign despite being on a poor team. the fact of the matter is we have a very solid goalie who will hopefully stay with us for four years. eids is the real deal, so i guess we can't lament losing lee too much.

i won't be the third person to point out he is a huskies recruit, but i think we missed out on a solid goaltender in lee. it may have come down to the fact that he wanted to come in after one year of juniors, and the sioux would have preferred him to come in after two, so that he and eidsness were two years apart? i know he is one of the frontrunners to be one of the goalies for next years world junior team, and he is having a very solid ushl campaign despite being on a poor team. the fact of the matter is we have a very solid goalie who will hopefully stay with us for four years. eids is the real deal, so i guess we can't lament losing lee too much.

i would say eids has shown hes a #1 goalie in the wcha and is only getting better. at the time both goalies know that they were a number 1 and the coaching staff had to make a decision on a goalie to go hard after. i wouldnt say we missed ot on lee but say we got BE. st cloud is getting a hell of a goalie and they should be excited as we are to have BE. lee is going where he get the chance to play right away which many kids will do.

Good high school and junior play doesn't always translate into good WCHA/NCAA play. I'm not going to consider him anything other than a very good goaltender in a league different than that of UND.

I'll give him props when he performs well at the next level.

Any other 'tenders from the area UND is looking at for next year?

im sure there are but not sure who. they will need to add one as we all know. whoever it is it will be a guy who knows his role and have the ability to push BE to his full potential day in and day out.

im sure there are but not sure who. they will need to add one as we all know. whoever it is it will be a guy who knows his role and have the ability to push BE to his full potential day in and day out.

I would think that UND would want to add another good goalie so UND could have a two headed monster like a few years back.

JPL and JPar, or KG and Koehler (sp).

I would think that UND would want to add another good goalie so UND could have a two headed monster like a few years back.

JPL and JPar, or KG and Koehler (sp).

you dont need a 2 headed monster by any means but if it works out that way where you bring a player in and he shows a little something then thats great. there isnt a top goalie prospect that will come to UND with BE here and maybe the only chance of starting until his senior year. they will bring in a solid goalie but there isnt anything wrong with BE being the man as long as he keeps it up. sioux fans in general are just so used to having a DUO system that last year and thisd year are the first 2 seasons in a while where 1 goalie will play pretty much every game. i dont mind it either way and BE has shown he is the real deal.

Another tidbit from Fargo Sioux Boosters Tuesday:

Dane Jackson made reference to a comment about UofM starting to cherry pick the prime recruits from northern Minnesota at the expense of UND. He said he'd specifically heard that Mike Lee, the Roseau goalie who was just named to the USHL All-Star team, and who is headed to play for the Gophers, was a sure sign that UND had lost its allure to northern MN high schoolers.

Jackson said that UND looked at Lee, but once they had Brad Eidsness' commitment in hand the coaches "knew we had our Number 1 goaltender". Not meant to be a knock on Mike Lee, merely to point out the confidence Hak et al had in Eidsness before he set foot on campus.

With the exception of Aaron Ness, I don't think we have really lost out on anyone. I think that we have a better goalie in Eidsness rather than Lee and asside from that I don't think the rest of the talent in northwest Minnesota has been very good the last couple of years. I would rather have the best players in North America, rather than nothern Minnesota.

With the exception of Aaron Ness, I don't think we have really lost out on anyone. I think that we have a better goalie in Eidsness rather than Lee and asside from that I don't think the rest of the talent in northwest Minnesota has been very good the last couple of years. I would rather have the best players in North America, rather than nothern Minnesota.

agree 100% with that statement bolded and when there are any the sioux will be on them right away like they have been in the past.

besides ness dont recall any other elite northerners they plucked as we all know lee isnt a gopher recruit as stated

agree 100% with that statement bolded and when there are any the sioux will be on them right away like they have been in the past.

Actually I should rephrase the last post. Ness wasn't even a real loss because his old man was never going to let him play here anyway. His dad has hard feelings towards the program because they took his scholarship away after he was injured.

Actually I should rephrase the last post. Ness wasn't even a real loss because his old man was never going to let him play here anyway. His dad has hard feelings towards the program because they took his scholarship away after he was injured.

very true. i didnt know about the dad details but i saw he didnt play many games at UND so figured something happened. the sioux will be just fine when more elite northerners blossom