SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

On the other front it sounds like DU's goalie recruit was lit up. ;) Oh well. Unforunately it appears that Michigan has a very talented and sound goalie coming in.

Nah. I wouldn't be too worried. Sauer was supposed to be lights out but wasn't. Hogan's been alright.

As a Wings fan, though, I love noticing how Sauer is a Colorado draft pick. Now they have two sieves in the system (Budaj and Sauer). If they'd only get Huet....

In unrelated news, my mother was flying back from Chicago and sat next to current Shattuck Midget AAA goaltender Markus Zelzer. He's being looked at by the Force. He's currently a junior at SSM.

He told my mother (who isn't at all connected with hockey but knows hockey through me) that, at SSM, UND is one of the premier programs that SSM players look up to. That doesn't mean that they all strive to play for UND, but it reaffirms that the pipeline is still available.

As for how good Zelzer is, I don't know. I'm not sure UND is in the market for a goaltender unless Eids bolts within the next 2 years.

On a purely roster-made note, Zelzer doesn't fit UND's mold. He's 6'3" tall. I think the goaltender height limit is 6'1. :D

Nah. I wouldn't be too worried. Sauer was supposed to be lights out but wasn't. Hogan's been alright.

As a Wings fan, though, I love noticing how Sauer is a Colorado draft pick. Now they have two sieves in the system (Budaj and Sauer). If they'd only get Huet....

In unrelated news, my mother was flying back from Chicago and sat next to current Shattuck Midget AAA goaltender Markus Zelzer. He's being looked at by the Force. He's currently a junior at SSM.

He told my mother (who isn't at all connected with hockey but knows hockey through me) that, at SSM, UND is one of the premier programs that SSM players look up to. That doesn't mean that they all strive to play for UND, but it reaffirms that the pipeline is still available.

As for how good Zelzer is, I don't know. I'm not sure UND is in the market for a goaltender unless Eids bolts within the next 2 years.

On a purely roster-made note, Zelzer doesn't fit UND's mold. He's 6'3" tall. I think the goaltender height limit is 6'1. :D

the pipeline is pretty much done. with jp parise gone and the way they have shifted the different types if players they have now. doesnt mean we wont get 1 or 2 here and there but nothing like it was when zach started the funnel ;)

Saw Jake Plutowski led the Chicago Showcase in scoring, good to see a Central boy do good against stiff competition. Team North Dakota went 3-1 in the tournament but did not advance to the championship round. Team Minnesota beat Team Michigan in overtime to win the title. Don't know about his future plans but just thought it was interesting enough to post.

Saw Jake Plutowski led the Chicago Showcase in scoring, good to see a Central boy do good against stiff competition. Team North Dakota went 3-1 in the tournament but did not advance to the championship round. Team Minnesota beat Team Michigan in overtime to win the title. Don't know about his future plans but just thought it was interesting enough to post.

How does a team go 3 - 1 and not advance? Do they take goals scored and goals against into consideration or what?

the pipeline is pretty much done. with jp parise gone and the way they have shifted the different types if players they have now. doesnt mean we wont get 1 or 2 here and there but nothing like it was when zach started the funnel :D

It seems the talent at SSM isn't the same after JP either.

It seems the talent at SSM isn't the same after JP either.

not at all and that was what i was referring to. he built that program and brought in all those players that could now field almost a whole nhl team and do pretty well i would guess

Anyone know anything about this Scott Harrington kid?? He is supposedly going pretty high in the OHL draft but gave a statement saying he wants to go NCAA route. Of course this could all be some ploy, but I am curious. There are no specific colleges listed in the article, but I would hope UND would be able to draw some interest.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/

Yes, he played on the 1st line at a traditional hockey school like Red River as an 8th grader. A lot of potential there!

Tons of potential! He was on the 1st line because Malm knew he would lose the kid going into the 9th grade as he would go to Central following his dads footsteps so he was buttering him up. GF has an open enrollment and if a kid is going to play varsity in 8th grade he HAS to play in his district which is Red River. The interesting part is he had a blast and they won state and nobody foresaw that. We'll see where he goes next year but my bet is Central. From what I hear he'll be USHL bound by 11th grade. Good thing is family is great...kids and parents are not head cases at all.

It looks like Matt Van Voorhis of Edina, formerly of Grand Forks, has accepted a spot with the USA Developmental Under 17 team in Ann Arbor. Hopefully he will develop into a great player there and the Sioux will have an inside track.

It looks like Matt Van Voorhis of Edina, formerly of Grand Forks, has accepted a spot with the USA Developmental Under 17 team in Ann Arbor. Hopefully he will develop into a great player there and the Sioux will have an inside track.

wow, pretty interesting. I watched this kid on tv during the state tournament I didn't really think he was that good at all. I know he was only a sophomore I think, but regardless nothing impressed me at all......

Does anybody know if Stanislav Galiev of the Indiana Ice is going to play Major Junior, or if he is being recruited by anybody? I see he is the only 1992 birthdate in the top 10 scoring in the USHL regular season at # 7, and he is # 8 in the playoffs. Other than Cichy, a 1990, the rest are either 1988's or 1989's, mostly 1988's. Unless he has a major attitude or learning problem, I would think teams would be hot on his trail. Pretty impressive for someone that young.

Does anybody know if Stanislav Galiev of the Indiana Ice is going to play Major Junior, or if he is being recruited by anybody? I see he is the only 1992 birthdate in the top 10 scoring in the USHL regular season at # 7, and he is # 8 in the playoffs. Other than Cichy, a 1990, the rest are either 1988's or 1989's, mostly 1988's. Unless he has a major attitude or learning problem, I would think teams would be hot on his trail. Pretty impressive for someone that young.

I would guess that he will get drafted high in the CHL import draft and then go that route.

I haven't seen/heard any rumblings of him going the NCAA route.

I would guess that he will get drafted high in the CHL import draft and then go that route.

I haven't seen/heard any rumblings of him going the NCAA route.

USHL Blog and I believe World of Junior Hockey and maybe WCHBlog have Galiev going to the OHL. There may even be an article where Galiev stated as much.

He's got zero chance of going the NCAA route.

Interesting to see Nolan Zajac's name, as I would have thought he would follow his brothers to Salmon Arm. Not saying he would go to Cedar Rapids, but to go at # 12 you would think they would have some inkling of his plans.

• 2 weeks later...

They just stated on KVLY to stay tuned for the 10:00 P.M. sports for an announcement concerning a "possibly big addition" to UND hockey. I put this under this thread because they made it sound like a recruiting announcement. Maybe it's something else......anybody have any insight?