SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

i think he may be a player that the sioux are waiting to see how he develops over the next year. maybe nelson as well from roseau

anyone have info on hebel from warroad and what type of player he is? thanks

and im sure there are many more out there they are looking at every week

Here's what I wrote about him earlier in the thread from when I watched him in mid-december.......

Brett Hebel was VERY impressive. He is a puck hound that is constantly around the net. He doesn't shy away from contact and he isn't afraid to shoot. He had 2g, 1a and it honestly should have been a lot more. It was the 2nd game in a row with Bemidji's goalie having 35+ stops. Hebel is an exciting player and you'd never know he was a sophmore. He played in all situations and they basically use 2 lines so he sees a lot of ice time. In a 3 minute span in the 2nd, he scored a PP G, hit the post and was robbed on a breakaway. If someone told me that he was the senior on his way to SCSU, I wouldn't have thought twice.

Going to watch Roseau on Friday. I'll report back on how Nelson and Landman look. I'm also going to beg Ness to re-open his recruiting and admit that I have a mancrush on him. :D;)

Here's what I wrote about him earlier in the thread from when I watched him in mid-december.......

Brett Hebel was VERY impressive. He is a puck hound that is constantly around the net. He doesn't shy away from contact and he isn't afraid to shoot. He had 2g, 1a and it honestly should have been a lot more. It was the 2nd game in a row with Bemidji's goalie having 35+ stops. Hebel is an exciting player and you'd never know he was a sophmore. He played in all situations and they basically use 2 lines so he sees a lot of ice time. In a 3 minute span in the 2nd, he scored a PP G, hit the post and was robbed on a breakaway. If someone told me that he was the senior on his way to SCSU, I wouldn't have thought twice.

Going to watch Roseau on Friday. I'll report back on how Nelson and Landman look. I'm also going to beg Ness to re-open his recruiting and admit that I have a mancrush on him. :D;)

Friday's game v Bemidji will be the first time I've seen Roseau in a while. It will be fun watching their two top WCHA-to-be lines.

I've seen Landman play a couple of times now, and I can't say I'm sold. A wait and see attitude may be very appropriate. I really think that if you have Landman's size, you better be a great skater, and I don't think he is. I hope to go see Nick Larson play in Waterloo sometime soon. I just think there are some better players for 09 still out there.

In an unrelated note. SCCC has been going after players very early to give them an edge against the likes of UND and UMTC. With the exception of the very best of the best, there is a real risk with this that the players don't develop. I think SCCC burned themselves with Nick Oliver. I think he is a borderline WCHA player at best, and I am curious if SCCC is giving him a full scholarship offer. Conversely, I think Ravndalen was a very nice pickup for them.

I've seen Landman play a couple of times now, and I can't say I'm sold. A wait and see attitude may be very appropriate. I really think that if you have Landman's size, you better be a great skater, and I don't think he is. I hope to go see Nick Larson play in Waterloo sometime soon. I just think there are some better players for 09 still out there.

In an unrelated note. SCCC has been going after players very early to give them an edge against the likes of UND and UMTC. With the exception of the very best of the best, there is a real risk with this that the players don't develop. I think SCCC burned themselves with Nick Oliver. I think he is a borderline WCHA player at best, and I am curious if SCCC is giving him a full scholarship offer. Conversely, I think Ravndalen was a very nice pickup for them.

Time will tell of course, but I think just the opposite is true. Oliver is a very hard worker and a very physical player. He could be a finisher in the WCHA (like a Parrish type) on the high end, and a solid defesive forward on the low end. Ravndalen is a speedy little skill forward, but SCSU has plenty of them lined up who'll do much better than Bryce. I see him a second liner in his senior year on the high end, and a bench player on the low end.

Getting "burned" on Oliver depends on what the coaches expected from him. Personally, I think they're getting about what they expected. Motzko will go after some younger players like Oliver, but I think his bread & butter will be the players who develop later and slipped through UND and UMN grasp. Of Roe, Nodl, and Lasch, the youngest to commit of the three was Roe at 17y 8m.

Skill-wise, Landman may not be the next big recruiting target, but I'd definitely take him on my team. You can't teach heart and character, and that kid has a ton of it.

Oliver isn't flashy and thus I don't think he stands out as much at the high school level, but I think he'll look better as he moves up in the hockey world. He was great at Tri-City's camp last summer, and I'm pretty sure he was offered a spot on the team if he had wanted it. There's only like three or four '91 forwards playing in the USHL this year, so that's a high honor.

Skill-wise, Landman may not be the next big recruiting target, but I'd definitely take him on my team. You can't teach heart and character, and that kid has a ton of it.

Oliver isn't flashy and thus I don't think he stands out as much at the high school level, but I think he'll look better as he moves up in the hockey world. He was great at Tri-City's camp last summer, and I'm pretty sure he was offered a spot on the team if he had wanted it. There's only like three or four '91 forwards playing in the USHL this year, so that's a high honor.

You are one of the people on here who knows his stuff, so I tend to believe what you are saying. I could see Landman filling out a roster, but with maybe 1 space left at forward the next 2 years, I don't think we will see him here.

You are one of the people on here who knows his stuff, so I tend to believe what you are saying. I could see Landman filling out a roster, but with maybe 1 space left at forward the next 2 years, I don't think we will see him here.

Yeah, I don't think you'll see him at a North Dakota or Minnesota, but if he wanted to come to Mankato for 2010, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I don't think you'll see him at a North Dakota or Minnesota, but if he wanted to come to Mankato for 2010, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

cant he be a 2010 as hes only a junior this season correct? 1 more year at roseau if he stays then 1 year in ushl or something like that? or 2 years is the ushl?

Sioux fans above all people should know the value of players that might not be necessarily as skilled as others, but will go through a wall for the team. Erik Fabian being the most recent in a long line of players with grit and heart. Ironically, he was also a Roseau boy. Not saying Landman isn't talented, nor am I saying the Sioux should recruit him, only that I totally understand taking players to fit certain roles that need to be filled for a team to have a good all-around chemistry. Robbie Bina might be the perfect example on this years team.

anyone have info on ander lee from edina? 6'2, 200 lbs is a nice size forward. anyone else on that edina team wcha caliber besides budish and gleason?

i see marshall everson is going to harvard with the samaaaaaaaat kids as well from edina

wow, pretty solid team from the looks of it

anyone have info on ander lee from edina? 6'2, 200 lbs is a nice size forward. anyone else on that edina team wcha caliber besides budish and gleason?

i see marshall everson is going to harvard with the samaaaaaaaat kids as well from edina

Lee has a little Jason Blake in him. He is feisty and never pass up a chance to shoot. Both of these can be very good...

Anders Lee is going to play football next fall, and see what kinds of offers he gets before deciding between football and hockey.

Edina has a lot of other kids that could be on the WCHA-radar, but are all still in 'wait-and-see' mode.

Starting with the oldest, I've never been blown away by goalie Derek Caschetta, but it's a very weak year for goalies. Maybe he'll go to juniors and really impress somebody. Some people rave about Matt Leer, though he's never blown me away. He's a big power forward though that could have a future.

Conor Gaarder will probably get an offer somewhere. I like the two junior D Brendan Baker and Patrick Regan. They're both good prospects.

I've heard good things about sophomore Charlie Taft, but it's probably too early to tell. I also really like sophomore D David Jarrett. They've got a good freshman D in Max Everson too.

With all the forwards coming in 2008 and Kristo (1 year too late :ohmy: ) and Fink coming in 2009, how many more F do we need for 2009?

I don't think that we are desperate for 2009, but I think we will pick up 1 more elite forward for 2009. Thus far I count 16 if you ignore the fact that we rarely see no one go pro early... The nice thing is that I think we already have the top 2008 class locked up, the 2009 looks to be top 3 if not the top class, and the 2010 class has a hell of a start with maybe the 2 top defensmen coming into college hockey in 2010.

• Chris VandeVelde
  • Darcy Zajac
  • Michael Forney
  • Brad Malone
  • Evan Trupp
  • Matt Frattin
  • Brent Davidson
  • David Toews
  • Brett Bruneteau
  • Mike Cichy
  • Brett Hextall
  • Jason Gregoire
  • Mario Lamoureux
  • Danny Kristo
  • Mike Fink
  • Danny Mattson

Anders Lee is going to play football next fall, and see what kinds of offers he gets before deciding between football and hockey.

Edina has a lot of other kids that could be on the WCHA-radar, but are all still in 'wait-and-see' mode.

Starting with the oldest, I've never been blown away by goalie Derek Caschetta, but it's a very weak year for goalies. Maybe he'll go to juniors and really impress somebody. Some people rave about Matt Leer, though he's never blown me away. He's a big power forward though that could have a future.

Conor Gaarder will probably get an offer somewhere. I like the two junior D Brendan Baker and Patrick Regan. They're both good prospects.

I've heard good things about sophomore Charlie Taft, but it's probably too early to tell. I also really like sophomore D David Jarrett. They've got a good freshman D in Max Everson too.

read everson hasd 4 goals last night in a blowout vs Cretin

read everson hasd 4 goals last night in a blowout vs Cretin

That's Marshall Everson, a junior who committed to Harvard. His younger brother Max is a freshmen defenseman. I guess he's more of a stay-at-home type, so they've had success pairing him with Joe Gleason this year.

That's Marshall Everson, a junior who committed to Harvard. His younger brother Max is a freshmen defenseman. I guess he's more of a stay-at-home type, so they've had success pairing him with Joe Gleason this year.

thats why we love your insight :ohmy: thanks for the correction!!

I don't think that we are desperate for 2009, but I think we will pick up 1 more elite forward for 2009. Thus far I count 16 if you ignore the fact that we rarely see no one go pro early... The nice thing is that I think we already have the top 2008 class locked up, the 2009 looks to be top 3 if not the top class, and the 2010 class has a hell of a start with maybe the 2 top defensmen coming into college hockey in 2010.

• Chris VandeVelde
  • Darcy Zajac
  • Michael Forney
  • Brad Malone
  • Evan Trupp
  • Matt Frattin
  • Brent Davidson
  • David Toews
  • Brett Bruneteau
  • Mike Cichy
  • Brett Hextall
  • Jason Gregoire
  • Mario Lamoureux
  • Danny Kristo
  • Mike Fink
  • Danny Mattson

I think the only flight risk would be VV - maybe Trupp but I think he's at least a 3 year player. Maybe another upperclassman or 2 leave for lack of playing time.

I think the only flight risk would be VV - maybe Trupp but I think he's at least a 3 year player. Maybe another upperclassman or 2 leave for lack of playing time.

are you serious? no way he goes anywhere. undrafted is the bigegst reason first, he better win a hobey duncan style to be thinking leaving early. no way. VV ...not because they he is ready for the NHL as that doesnt matter, its the team that holds their draft rights and what they want along with the player. i say he ends up staying but ya never know :ohmy:

are you serious? no way he goes anywhere. undrafted is the bigegst reason first, he better win a hobey duncan style to be thinking leaving early. no way. VV ...not because they he is ready for the NHL as that doesnt matter, its the team that holds their draft rights and what they want along with the player. i say he ends up staying but ya never know :ohmy:

This the 09 roster - and I agree Trupp is unlikely to leave - I would put it 25%. Vandy could go after 08 - he would be 4 years out of HS by then.

Cenntenial H.S. star Tyler Pitlick will help fill out the USA U17 team that's travelling to Slovakia for the Vlad Dzurilla Tournament. His uncle played for the goofers, but they look pretty full for '09 now with the addition of Budish.

Gormley will probably be drafted pretty high by the QMJHL, but he has shown some interest in the college route in the past. I'm tempted to add him to my blog's list of '92s, but I probably won't add any Canadians until I see where they land in the CHL drafts.