SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Could you give us more information about Erstad and maybe Soley as well? Thanks. :)

Erstad: Second year on Team Wisconsin. Born in Madison, moved to Point I believe right before entering high school with his mom. 6'4 and still growing. Needs to add some wieght to his frame. Will probably fill out in 1-2 years. Drafted by Lincoln in the last USHL draft in the 17th round. Will probably play for the Stars 1-2 years before entering college most likely. Led his Stevens Point HS team as a Junior last season to the state tournament. Surprising soft hands for a big man. Pretty good skating ability in the open ice. Doesn't play physical enough, yet. He is a case where it would benifit him to play in the USHL as a senior (this season) rather then go back and dominate high school.

Soley: Also his second year on Team Wisconsin, although he is only a junior. He's from Elk Mound which is just outside of Eau Claire. Elk Mound is too small to have high school hockey so he attends Eau Claire Memorial. Had 24 goals and 31 asissts last season for 55 points in 23 games. Was also a +41 on the season. Was a first team All Big Rivers forward. (LaPoint was the player of the year) The most natural forward I have seen from Western Wisconsin in a long time. He just has the look of always being in control. Has the ability to take a hockey game over if he wants to. Plays extreamly well while holding onto the puck. Keeps it close to his body and protects it well. Not overly fast but efficient. Above average hands and can score both the dirty and pretty goals. Drafted by Green Bay in the recent futures draft. I expect him to play his senior season next year with Green Bay. Most likely an '09 recruit. Would do him well to have that extra year in the USHL but I wouldnt be shocked if he ended up as an '08. North Dakota is Believed to be his first choice.

Erstad: Second year on Team Wisconsin. Born in Madison, moved to Point I believe right before entering high school with his mom. 6'4 and still growing. Needs to add some wieght to his frame. Will probably fill out in 1-2 years. Drafted by Lincoln in the last USHL draft in the 17th round. Will probably play for the Stars 1-2 years before entering college most likely. Led his Stevens Point HS team as a Junior last season to the state tournament. Surprising soft hands for a big man. Pretty good skating ability in the open ice. Doesn't play physical enough, yet. He is a case where it would benifit him to play in the USHL as a senior (this season) rather then go back and dominate high school.

Soley: Also his second year on Team Wisconsin, although he is only a junior. He's from Elk Mound which is just outside of Eau Claire. Elk Mound is too small to have high school hockey so he attends Eau Claire Memorial. Had 24 goals and 31 asissts last season for 55 points in 23 games. Was also a +41 on the season. Was a first team All Big Rivers forward. (LaPoint was the player of the year) The most natural forward I have seen from Western Wisconsin in a long time. He just has the look of always being in control. Has the ability to take a hockey game over if he wants to. Plays extreamly well while holding onto the puck. Keeps it close to his body and protects it well. Not overly fast but efficient. Above average hands and can score both the dirty and pretty goals. Drafted by Green Bay in the recent futures draft. I expect him to play his senior season next year with Green Bay. Most likely an '09 recruit. Would do him well to have that extra year in the USHL but I wouldnt be shocked if he ended up as an '08. North Dakota is Believed to be his first choice.

Hey Chuck, overall how would you rank these players from 1 being the best to 4? Thanks

Who woulda thunk WI would become a hockey hotbed of-sorts? I wonder if Soley, from Elk Mound, knows the infamous Carl Gerbschmidt. Unless you listen to KFAN you would have no idea who Gerbschmidt is.....

More power to these kids if they leave the state, unless of course, they end up with the goofs :)

You're better than we are right now. At this time last year you guys were average-at-best......... We'll see how our freshman develop. Considering the injuries they'll get their chances sooner than later.

After seeing Oshie and Toews live this weekend, IMO Oshie is the better talent, Duncan has some great quicks to him, and Sheperd still sucks.

I've read a few places that North Dakota would be Soley's number one pick... any idea why? Does he have any connections to UND? Good coaches and great arena?

There are lots of kids who are from the Eau Claire area and attend the UND hockey camps every year. I'm not sure if Soley has but that would be one main connection.

Soley: Also his second year on Team Wisconsin, although he is only a junior. He's from Elk Mound which is just outside of Eau Claire. Elk Mound is too small to have high school hockey so he attends Eau Claire Memorial.

That's Green Bay Packer Fan Karl Gebschmidt's home town. :) I didn't think there was town by that name. As Paul Harvey says now we know the rest of the story. Thanks for the update on the Wisconsin players.

I know his name hasn't been brought up much, but I was wondering if anyone knew what former Fargo South standout Eric Gault was up to? He was with the Lincoln Stars, but I checked their roster today and he is no longer on it. I know most people counted him out because of his size, but I thought he had some potential with a year or two in the USHL.

Follmer to USHL; Galt joins fold

The North Iowa Outlaws have promoted defenseman Kyle Follmer to the USHL. Follmer, the twin of Outlaws forward Nick Follmer, was traded to Lincoln for Eric Galt and future considerations. While with North Iowa, Kyle scored a goal and tallied an assist in two games. He saw his first action with Lincoln last weekend and had two assist.

Not a very classy move by Lincoln. Trading Galt to the NAHL after one game effectively prevents him from playing for another USHL team this season. If they didn't want him, they should have cut him early on so he could try and get on another team. He was +2 with a penalty and a SOG in the one game he played for Lincoln.

That's a good pickup for them. I was hoping he would come here but then someone mentioned that his dad wasn't happy about how UND have handled the goaltending situation with Phil so that put some doubt in my mind. Hopefully we can pick up a verbal from Riley Nash. Has Nash come for a visit yet that anyone knows of?

Wasn't happy with how UND handled the goalie situation?! Phillippe is the #1 goalie on the #3 ranked team in the nation as a junior! I think Dad should be pleased. It's not as though some seive was playing in front of him the last 2 years.

I agree with you, but I can assure you that his parents are not happy because they felt that he could have gone to UM and played the last 2 years (whether that is rational or not is not the issue). He came very close to going to UM and playing with Potulny and Irmen. It really doesn't matter anymore.

I agree with you, but I can assure you that his parents are not happy because they felt that he could have gone to UM and played the last 2 years (whether that is rational or not is not the issue). He came very close to going to UM and playing with Potulny and Irmen. It really doesn't matter anymore.

Boo hoo. There are lots of places he could have gone if he wanted to be assured of playing time. Who are they upset with ? Must be their own kid for picking a school where he couldn't beat out the other goalie. There is no possible argument that can be made for Lammy playing over Parise the past two years.

Are they upset with the coaches for not benching Parise ? Makes no sense. If that is the parents attitude and feelings then I am happy that Mario is going elsewhere. Best of luck to him.

Part of me is happy that Mario committed to NMU. It seems like he left everyone hanging. UND, Red Deer... heading to NMU seems like a good fit for him because he can be with his brother there for more than one year.

Now we can go after a guy like Riley Nash, Jason Gregoire, or others that are mentioned without having to worry about whether or not Mario's slot will be taken by Mario.

So he basically had his choice to either go to UND and try to unseat Parise and Brandt vs. going to the "U" and trying to beat out Briggs? It sure seems like if icetime were this kids primary concern he didn't make his college decision based on it.

I'm guessing if now Phil leads UND to the NCAA title Mario will be sorry down the road.

So he basically had his choice to either go to UND and try to unseat Parise and Brandt vs. going to the "U" and trying to beat out Briggs? It sure seems like if icetime were this kids primary concern he didn't make his college decision based on it.

I'm guessing if now Phil leads UND to the NCAA title Mario will be sorry down the road.

I am sure your right on that one. 20/20 hind sight alway seems beter.

Brad's blog is reporting that Mario Lamoureaux gave a verbal committment to play with his brother at Northern Michigan.

what a fippin joke this situation has turned into. what ever happened to WAITING your turn, hell phil is gona have 2 full years to start for the sioux. if this is the reason mario is going to no mich then good luck, wow. so this means his sisters will be at minnesota where phil almost ended up at :) wow now that would have blown the big one!!

good luck mario, LETS SIGN RILEY NASH :(