SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

If Genoway is going to play D and Foyt is considered a forward, we only have 14 forwards on the roster right now. We could use a forward, as has been speculated here.

Roster:

Forwards (14):

Fabian, Porter, Foyt, Kaip, Oshie, Toews, Miller, Kozek, Martens, Duncan, Watkins, VandeVelde, Forney, Zajac

Defense (8):

Radke, Bina, Finley, Chorney, Jones, Lee, Alexander, Genoway

Goaltenders (4, .... for now):

Parise, Lammy, Walski, Grieco

Bishop was 41st in scoring in the BCHL so likely would not be a huge scorer at the D1 level. On his team he was the 2nd highest scoring forward. Vernon had an interesting offense. Their leading scorer was a defenseman, Felde (Alaska Fairbanks recruit) with about 93 points. Then a forward, then another defenseman, then Bishop, then defenseman Genoway with just a couple less points than Bishop. 3 of the top 5 including the top scorer were defensemen.

Will be interesting to find out if there's anything to this rumor.

Here's what the Vernon coach/GM said about Bishop last summer when signing him. It would be interesting to know if he'd still make the comparison or not:

"Of our recruits, I've only seen Hunter play and he's Ryan Bayda all over again," said Mick, who took over the head coaching and GM job 12 days ago. He's going to come in and be a dominate player. I've talked to a lot of other people about our recruits and everyone loves the guys we have coming in and they really compliment the group we have coming back."

It's worth noting that as a 17 year old Bishop played for Cedar Rapids in the USHL and had less than 10 points total for the whole season.

Evidently Trupp, Bishop, and another Alaskan player. Trupp and this unknown player for 07-08...Bishop for 06-07.

Maybe we're getting Walsky, who wanted to transfer from AA to MN but AA wouldn't release him to MN (likely because of Hill). Lucia said AA would release him to just about anywhere else, but not MN. Just a guess. He wouldn't really count as a "recruit" I suppose. I noticed Suze's "Alaska" and am reading a lot into her use of quotation marks. It could easily be a normal recruiting situation. Will be interesting to see, as she seems confident in her information.

Maybe we're getting Walsky, who wanted to transfer from AA to MN but AA wouldn't release him to MN (likely because of Hill). Lucia said AA would release him to just about anywhere else, but not MN. Just a guess. He wouldn't really count as a "recruit" I suppose. I noticed Suze's "Alaska" and am reading a lot into her use of quotation marks. It could easily be a normal recruiting situation. Will be interesting to see, as she seems confident in her information.

And it looks like Suze is hinting that it is not Walsky. I am wondering why she is putting Alaska in quotation marks as well. She does seem confident though, like you said, as she said that the recruit signed a few weeks ago already.

That makes a lot of sense...I would bet that is the "recruit" that Suze was alluding to.

So Shea Hamilton. He would have to sit out a year for transferring, then he would be eligible the fall of 07. From what I remember about him, he has a good shot. We'll have to see I guess.

His frosh year he looked to be a great find for UAA, but he spent alot of the season injured. Last year it looks like he was benched for some games, supposedly from lack of effort.

He only had 7pts (3G,4A) for UAA last season in 24 games, but that can be deceiving being that the leading scorer for the SeaWolves only had 15 points.

That makes a lot of sense...I would bet that is the "recruit" that Suze was alluding to.

So Shea Hamilton. He would have to sit out a year for transferring, then he would be eligible the fall of 07. From what I remember about him, he has a heck of a shot. We'll have to see I guess.

I see he is from Manitoba, so that could explain the quotation marks around Alaska.

So Shea Hamilton. He would have to sit out a year for transferring, then he would be eligible the fall of 07. From what I remember about him, he has a good shot. We'll have to see I guess.

His frosh year he looked to be a great find for UAA, but he spent alot of the season injured. Last year it looks like he was benched for some games, supposedly from lack of effort.

He only had 7pts (3G,4A) for UAA last season in 24 games, but that can be deceiving being that the leading scorer for the SeaWolves only had 15 points.

He scored a GWG against MN. Sign him up!

Welcome to "Web Posting 101: It's all in how you spin it!"

It's not: "He only scored 7 points."

It is: "He was only 8 points behind his team's leading scorer!" :lol:

Then you tag on: "For comparison, Toews finished nine points behind Stafford, his team's leading scorer."

That's the end of today's lecture. There will be a quiz. :lol:

I'm diggin' the chat with Troy Mick on the Sioux Hockey Blog.

:silly:

To me, this kid sounds a lot like Chris Porter. Very fast, decent size, super hard worker, some ability to score.

I think his role will be a lot like Miller's role. If he suits up, he'll be a fourth liner. If he doesn't, he'll do Patrick Miller's job for the team. :D

I hope Hunter is a steal, but I really am not impressed with his numbers, especially considering that he didn't do anything in the USHL and scored only modestly in an offensive minded league. Remember, I think even Martens had better numbers.

Not everyone follows the superstar career arc. Maybe Bishop will struggle to get into the lineup, or get regular 4th line duty, as a (true) freshman, then progress to larger roles as he grows and matures over his college career. I'm glad they filled this last spot with a young guy with a pretty high upside rather than an older guy who might be able to contribute more this year. Also, having a special attribute like blazing speed often makes a guy a fan favorite.

Making a judgement on any young player based on his previous "points" is pointless :D Unreal that many are so quickly disappointed :silly:

He may very well bring the grit, determinition, and 3-4 year leadership that many have been asking for in a lineup full of blue chippers.