SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

I think we have about 99% agreement that MPLSBISON FAN is a dumbf#(ker. There was a visual I didn't need. though Yikes. :ohmy::D???:lol:

We Bison fans agree. We are very happy that he left us and came here. Which is a shame as I wouldnt want to wish him on anyone. That includes the Sioux as well.

They don't mind having basketball at the United Center. The Big Ten and Chicago's United center will proudly host the rounds 1 and 2 of the mens final four Friday the 18th and Sunday the 20th 2011.

They have used the United Center before and will again. They like to hold events in Chicago. But isn't it hypocritical to complain about NA imagery in one building but not in another where they hold events?

They have used the United Center before and will again. They like to hold events in Chicago. But isn't it hypocritical to complain about NA imagery in one building but not in another where they hold events?

It's as hypocrital as they're having Pontiac as an official sponsor. :ohmy:

I don't think they even worry about Pontiac because most people don't realize that Pontiac was a famous chief. The Blackhawk stuff is pretty obvious at the United Center.

If a name and logo is hostile and abusive, it matters not if the namesake tribe disagrees, if the general public only know Pontiac to be an automobile, it's still hostile and abusive, UNLESS, of course, it means big bucks for the NCAA.

I know we've rehashed this ad nauseum but, dammit all to hell,..............

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

UND panel begins work of moving away from Sioux nickname

Another complication is that amidst dropping the name and logo, UND needs to find a new way to use it.

Under trademark laws, if UND doesn’t “periodically” use the Sioux name, it loses control of it and the ability to protect it, as the NCAA settlement requires, Evans said.

If that happens, someone else might take possession of it and use it inappropriately, Evans said.

I found this piece of information to be quite interesting. It would be a shame to see someone else take control of the Sioux nickname/logo.

Thanks. There are so many nickname threads that it's hard to keep up with all of them. Do you remember what was said?

Several people thought it would be great if UND released the name and logo or if they lost the copyrights. Others pointed out that UND doesn't want to do that for several reasons. As someone noted, the settlement requires they keep control unless they release to a tribe. But releasing them would give people a chance to continue making merchandise, which would keep the name and logo alive longer. This would make it more difficult for a new name and logo to gain acceptance. And that would keep the name issue and the arguments active much longer than if the name and logo just disappear. So UND will do everything they can to keep control of the name and logo so that they don't continue to get regular usage.

Once or so a year UND can host a "Hostile and Abusive" day to remember (remorse) all the horrible evils the logo and nickname have caused.

Good idea. They could have have a walk of remembrance down University, and end with a candlelight vigil outside of REA.

• 2 months later...

A salient story about the NC$$'s hypocrisy, and the fact that Russell Means remains a bitter old bastard.

Florida State

So, according to Means, it's ok for FSU to keep the nickname but just stop the horse and spear shenanigans? Yet UND, who has no such "offensive pageantry", must get rid of its nickname? Wasn't he "protesting" in Grand Forks at least a couple of times with the other freaks bused in from St. Cloud and elsewhere? Does anyone else see a contradiction here?

So, I go to our own UND Bookstore website to check out the goods and run across this,

TTVJ6-Z097.jpg

North Dakota Mascot Women's Tee

WTF!! NORTH DAKOTA MASCOT!?!?!?

My guess is that it is a generic web site that is dressed up for UND. Follett runs bookstores for a bunch of schools. They probably aren't going to set up totally different web sites for each school. They buy a bunch of tee shirts for all of the schools, list them as _________ Mascot Women's Tee, and let the computer fill in the blank with a list of the schools. So no one paid attention to having a page listed as North Dakota Mascot Women's Tee. Either that or it was built somewhere else where they didn't know the issue. My advice would be to let the bookstore know and ask them to fix it.

My guess is that it is a generic web site that is dressed up for UND. Follett runs bookstores for a bunch of schools. They probably aren't going to set up totally different web sites for each school. They buy a bunch of tee shirts for all of the schools, list them as _________ Mascot Women's Tee, and let the computer fill in the blank with a list of the schools. So no one paid attention to having a page listed as North Dakota Mascot Women's Tee. Either that or it was built somewhere else where they didn't know the issue. My advice would be to let the bookstore know and ask them to fix it.

Will do.