SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

And yet they concentrate on another University's logo that is less offensive than the swastika, and spitting on people of different color. Yeah SCSU has their priorities in the right order. :sad::lol:

The last thing SCSU should be doing is lecturing people on civil right violations, they have had a long history of such problems. Back in the early 1990's they had the same issues they are having now, but they chose to lecture us on our sport teams name. Something about living in glass houses comes to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, if you go through these forums, as well I'm sure the comment section of various articles, I'm pretty sure you'll find some people referring to Native American's in those terms.

The majority of us don't, but all it takes a a couple of posts and there you are.

It only took .5 seconds for Sioux hockey haters to brand Hakstol for a brief lapse in judgement. It's no different in this context.

Unfortunately, if you go through these forums, as well I'm sure the comment section of various articles, I'm pretty sure you'll find some people referring to Native American's in those terms.
Certainly there are comments here, and in other forums. But how do you tie them to your nickname?

From the article:

True, there are people on both the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake reservations in North Dakota who say they like the nickname.

I love DYB ... she reminds me of so many crazy relatives.

Is UND's campus poorly built, or is the university failing to offer the best programs? No. UND has a beautiful campus
Another gem.

I can personally vouch for the negative atmosphere in our community, based on e-mails I've received, personal incidents and anecdotal information from students. I also know that the

I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that all it takes is a few posts and that is what the anti's hook into and rally around. Unfortunately, those types of posts and comments can be found.

Sorry, I typed the word "you" and meant it as a universal "you" rather than a specific personal reference. Instead of saying "how do you tie them to your nickname" I would have been more accurate to say something like "how does anyone tie them to any nickname" so I apologize for using your post to quote.

(And not that it makes a difference, but I was impatiently waiting for the entire article to come up in a new window. Once I saw it I quoted it. But that's no excuse for the bad typing and references.)

Sorry, I typed the word "you" and meant it as a universal "you" rather than a specific personal reference. Instead of saying "how do you tie them to your nickname" I would have been more accurate to say something like "how does anyone tie them to any nickname" so I apologize for using your post to quote.

(And not that it makes a difference, but I was impatiently waiting for the entire article to come up in a new window. Once I saw it I quoted it. But that's no excuse for the bad typing and references.)

No problemo.

Student vote on Chief Illiniwek: (beware, this link takes FOREVER to load)

http://media.www.dailyillini.com/media/sto...s-3200266.shtml

IMHO, its interesting to see the reactions to a vote being taken: the comments section has someone telling the students that since they're at an educational institution they need to educate themselves-and this person proceeds to list out every single anti-Chief link they can find. And the main article has comments saying that the students have already had an opportunity to speak. (Of course they did, and the faculty did too-but nobody tried to prevent the faculty from holding THEIR vote.)

• 2 weeks later...

Nicknames promote racism, not dialogue

Obviously, the affected parties determine what is offensive because they suffer from it. Unaffected members should not dictate how the affected party feels, and American Indians should not be met with ugly alumni and student backlashes.

Indian logos are one cause of low self-esteem among American Indian children. As such, negative Indian logos, images and mascots hurt both Indian and non-Indian students. American Indian students endure the psychological damage and dehumanizing effects of seeing these cartoons of themselves. It is no coincidence that American Indians have the highest suicide, alcoholism, drug addiction, unemployment and school dropout rates of any ethnic group in the U.S.

So if the logo/name is changed, these problems will suddenly vanish? :silly:

Taking the first steps toward a cultural accord
Behind the seemingly trivial issue of whether sports teams at the University of North Dakota can continue to call themselves the "Fighting Sioux," there exists a gulf that divides white and Indian cultures and keeps North Dakota stuck in disintegrated phase of its history. It's what University of Colorado historian Patricia Limerick calls the "Legacy of Conquest."
Probably, all this sounds like "the wildest chimera of a moonstruck mind." Maybe it is. So let's start with an easy one. Let's retire "Fighting Sioux" and then carefully nurture the little tendril of good will it sprouts.