SiouxSports.com Forum

Possible replacement names

Brent_Bobyck

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about keeping the name even if we are subject to restrictions? It would be worth it, at least for me, to not host playoff games so we could keep our name and tradition.

Am I the only one who won't consider changing the name? :lol:

I absolutely do not want to change the name. I understand that the post-season implications would only minimally affect the Hockey team, therefore alot of the fans that only follow the hockey team support keeping it no matter what. However there are many like myself who are football fans first, and follow the football, hockey, and basketball teams with equal enthusiasm that understand that the inability to host playoff football and basketball games would be devastating to the programs. It is highly questionable that the football team would have made it to Florence in 2001 & 2003 if we hadn't had home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. One has to prioritize. If the Sioux fb team is ranked #2 going into the playoffs and has homefield advantage, they'd probably be the favorite to get to the title game. If they were #2 going into the playoffs, but had to play every game on the road, that would be difficult.

A University doesn't have to have a nickname. Dartmouth doesn't though they are unoffically the Big Green.

And the Tundra is a horrible name. :lol:

IMO, that would be the best way to go if a change does occur. It be giving the NCAA the middle finger, because fans would always carry on the Fighting Sioux name, and there is nothing that they could do about that.

Please, no more name suggestions referring to weather events. That's just lame. :lol:

Different color scheme.

Different level of competition (NCAA v. NDHSAA).

Built in familiarity with the name.

What's worse:

Having a local HS with the same name (of which most people wouldn't even know about),

or

playing a collegiate sports game against a team with the exact same name as you. MTU Huskies vs SCSU Huskies or UMD Bulldogs vs Ferris State Bulldogs?

Even though UND can be considered an "aviation" school by some, I don't think it's a fitting nickname as a whole.

I think it should be some sort of human figure to keep with the "Sioux." If not roughriders, I like (Super) Troopers (PCM's idea) or Fighting Calvary. Call it poetic justice.

What's worse:

Having a local HS with the same name (of which most people wouldn't even know about),

or

playing a collegiate sports game against a team with the exact same name as you. MTU Huskies vs SCSU Huskies or UMD Bulldogs vs Ferris State Bulldogs?

Even though UND can be considered an "aviation" school by some, I don't think it's a fitting nickname as a whole.

"Rough Riders" would be unique in the NCAA spectrum of monikers.

If the name were changed, it would probably be criticized as too "Eurocentric." Asinine. The same PC clowns that say everyone is "Eurocentric" with everything are the first ones to criticize the usage of the Sioux nickname recognizing and honoring the PAST Sioux.

IMO, that would be the best way to go if a change does occur. It be giving the NCAA the middle finger, because fans would always carry on the Fighting Sioux name, and there is nothing that they could do about that.

Please, no more name suggestions referring to weather events. That's just lame. :lol:

You want to give the NCAA the middle finger? Think again about Rough Riders (i.e. cavalry).

You want to give the NCAA the middle finger? Think again about Rough Riders (i.e. cavalry).

You want to give the NC$$ the middle finger? Take them to court and win!!!!

Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about keeping the name even if we are subject to restrictions? It would be worth it, at least for me, to not host playoff games so we could keep our name and tradition.

Am I the only one who won't consider changing the name? :lol:

I won't consider changing the name either airmail but the restrictions that would be imposed would not hurt me, they would be a burden that the athletes would carry by themselves. I don't think that is fair and who knows how that would effect recruiting.

I am in the no name camp. If UND loses all battles on keeping the name we will be required to quit using the name Sioux, not change it. I say we go without one and let the fans keep the tradition going. Keep wearing the jerseys, yelling Sioux at the end of the anthem, yell Sioux every time the announcers say North Dakota like for penalties and goals and intros. Keep the cheer let's go Sioux and so on..

Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But don't forget:

There were American Indian warriors who served in TR's Rough Riders unit, thus they were "diverse" and "inclusive."

I don't get the Rough Riders name. Rooselvelt was here, what?, one long weekend? He owned property in ND that he didn't visit and the Rough Riders fought in Cuba.

I gues we could be the Rough Riders and our logo could be a Cuban cigar... no, that would be too phallic. How about a fruit basket? No, too many fruit jokes. How about a Teddy Bear!? No one hates Teddy Bears. Better yet, we can BE the Teddy Bears!!

(Pffftttt!!! :lol: )

That might be so, but you know where this is going to end up don't you? Think really hard.

You probably have one in wallet if your male.

On the other foot, I don't know; its not so bad I have heard worse names. I suppose we could dress someone up and a Teddy R. outfit at least you could have a mascot that not racially explosive. It better than a ground squirl/rodent/goofer. But, from what I heard this is a long way off. We maybe jumping the gun a bit.

Girls and boys who are even smarter, wait until they are married! :lol:

You're absolutely right!! My 'holier than thou' sister, mother of three sons, said the same thing. My boys got boxes of the stuff as stocking stuffers and told I don't want you to use this but if your gonna do it, put this on!. My three nephews who were taught to wait, don't do it, don't even think about doing it until your married and sons of my 'holier than thou' sister and brother in law all got a girl pregnant before they were married. Guess those girls should have been smarter than my nephews. :lol:

(Oh, and to date, I'm not a grandmother!!)

You're absolutely right!! My 'holier than thou' sister, mother of three sons, said the same thing. My boys got boxes of the stuff as stocking stuffers and told I don't want you to use this but if your gonna do it, put this on!. My three nephews who were taught to wait, don't do it, don't even think about doing it until your married and sons of my 'holier than thou' sister and brother in law all got a girl pregnant before they were married. Guess those girls should have been smarter than my nephews. :lol:

(Oh, and to date, I'm not a grandmother!!)

This "holier than thou' poster is speaking from experience because my wife and I had a shotgun wedding! It takes a lot of the fun out of the wedding planning part. Especially when you lose your child the week after the wedding. I was a lot like your nephews and thought I could dodge the bullet too. So, this is why I say girls and boys who are smarter wait until after they are married. Mainly because I don't want anyone to experience what I had to experience, it sucked! Things are fine now but it sure did put a damper on the whole wedding experience.

Let's get back to a more enjoyable topic, Possible Replacement Names! :lol:

If it's good enough for the State ....

http://www.governor.state.nd.us/awards/rr-gallery/

We could be the UND Bad Lands and have a scenic logo?

That could probably be used against UND in way too many ways though.... Like, if we lost a game they could say The Bison, Gophers, Badgers, Black Bears, Bulldogs, Eagles, whoever, walked or skated all over the Bad Lands.....

I think it could be a cool name in some ways though?