SiouxSports.com Forum

new goalie at the break?

schmidtdoggydog

In today's insidecollegehockey.com poll, they state that Blais has mentioned bringing in a new goalie at the break?

Although many people have speculated as such (we know how Goon feels), the cited website appears to have some first-hand information. I am wondering if Blais has made comments lately about bringing someone in?

I listened to some of the postgame on Saturday and although he was not impressed with Josh's save percentage Blais seemed to feel that he had played well in the victory and made some crucial saves.

Would be hard to believe this could happen again. Maybe stems from the Sioux history of great performances by freshman goalies on teams that went on to win national championships. going back to Iwabucci, Casey, Jenson, Belfour, and more recently Schweitzer, and Goehring (although Goehring certainly performed well for four years). Must have one listed there that wasn't part of a championship, but a successful team nonetheless?:angry:

Hmmm... wasn't this tried last year?

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?ac...act=ST&f=1&t=68

It's kind of crazy.  Apparently we have absolutely no patience to try to develop a goalie, but instead feel the need to somehow immediately put up a championship caliber team.  That's a lot of pressure on whoever sits between the pipes.

Read this thead and saw Doc Nodak's name.

Where are you Doc?

I see on the POI board there is talk of Lucia bringing in a goalie at the break as well. I find that pretty interesting considering the criticism Blais got for doing the same last year.

I don't know....How many goalies "develop" into being a real good goaltender, and how many just are or aren't?

That said, I don't know that I am a fan of the disruption and commotion caused by bringing in a goaltender half-way through the season. Sure, if Eddie Belfour Jr. shows up in January I'll be as happy as the next guy, but I'm not sure if taking flyers on new tenders at that point helps more than it might hurt.

I can't believe there is already talk about bringing in a new goalie at Christmas break. This year's team is completely different from last year's team. For starters, we have senior leadership that was rather lacking last year. Our goaltending may not be stellar, but I don't think it's less than average.

I just don't see why we would need to bring in a new goalie for a team that is 14-1-1. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. The guys on the team seem to back our goaltenders in interviews, and those are the guys that matter the most as far as having confidence in the goalies.

I can't believe they would bring in Sedevie. He is not doing that good in the USHL. Maybe they are looking at Ziegelmann. He is 2nd in USHL and 9-3-1-0 and .912 while Lane is (7TH) 7-5-2-2 and .882. Can't imagine they would bring him in with those kinds of stats.

Minnesota has been in contact with Kellen Briggs (4TH) of Sioux Falls (9-4-4-0 .909). Last we heard they were thinking of bringing him in early. He has turned down a couple of back East offers, waiting for Minny to call!!!

I hope they stick with Brandt. I really enjoyed Ranfranz in net. For being off for nearly 3 years, I thought he did great. "Let's go Ranny!!"

I have heard (from a former Sioux player and USHL coach) that Minnesota is also very interested in Nate Ziegelmann and that there are unsubstantiated rumors that they may bring him in after Christmas. If that is the case, I hope that UND does whatever is necessary to bring him in. Nate is very talented, and I would hate to lose another local kid to the Gophers.

Several weeks ago at Sioux Boosters in Fargo, Dave Hakstol was asked if they were going to bring in a goalie at Christmas. He denied that that was even a consideration, claimed that they were happy with the goaltending and said that the No. 1 goalie was Josh Siembeda. However, after saying that Josh was No. 1, the Sioux did not play or even dress Josh Siembeda for 5 games until last Saturday, which is odd, and seems to fuel rumors that the Sioux are not happy with the goaltending.

The Sioux have obvious problems with goaltending. The only question is whether it needs to be addressed this year or at the beginning of next season. It depends on whether one believes that they are good enough to compete for a national championship this year with a good goalie. I do not believe they can win with average to below average goaltending, which is clearly the situation now. Virtually every WCHA team has better goaltending (CC, Wisconsin, AAU, Duluth, Denver, St. Cloud, and maybe even MSU). The one obvious exception is Minnesota, and they are looking.

I'd rather the goalies we have get more consistent help upfront, and maybe their own coach to work on technique, than bringing in another minder in mid-season. Bringing in Siembida worked for a couple of series, before last season's real weaknesses, e.g., rotten special teams, poor defense, sputtering offense, poor leadership, etc. became apparent, and often fatal. If these guys get experience, good or bad, and help, it's better than bringing in another fresh face and hope the other guys realize that they have to play defense too, even the D-men. ;)

At the last Sioux booster lunch Hakstol was asked if they were bringing in a new goalie at the break. His response was a curt "Why?".

He said they were happy with their goaltenders and they were coming along as planned.

I think they realize that they made a mistake last year bringing in Siembida and losing a year of eligibility with him and don't want to make that mistake again.

I remember Spiewak's post game interview with Tim H a couple of weeks ago. Jake just got his 2nd. shutout in a row. Tim asked Spiewak if there was or has been any concerns about the goaltenders. He said that the team was confident in the goaltending they have & it seemed to be the fans that were worried about what was happening at the position.

I think the team chemistry is pretty good right now. Bringing in another goalie at the break may cause more harm than good. It may just take figuring who the hot goalie is, a good rotation, or signs during practice who the right guy to play that weekend is. Letting them keep getting their confidence like the rest of the team is may be all it takes.

Do you realize why the save percentage is so low? Our DMen are doing a stellar job of blocking shots. So when a shot does sneak through it isn't seen by anybody.

At least that's how I like to think about it. Personally I think we will do fine sticking with Brandt and Seimbida for the rest of the season.

I can tell you that back in late September before the season started, Blais told me that he would consider bringing in another goalie mid-way thorugh the season if he didn't think the goalies they had were getting it done.

Therefore, there is reason to speculate about whether he is considering this move. The question is whether he is happy with the goalies to this point. I think Speez's point about the possibility of ruining team chemistry is a good one.

Not being "inside the locker room", I am just speculating, OK?

But ... the reasons Blais would do something - and reasons that are consistent with his philosophy - are basic things like:

1) Low effort ... if Blais isn't satisfied with the effort, even first-round draft choices get benched, or booted down to the NHL. Having played a lot of team sports, nothing ruins team chemistry worse than working your butt of when someone else isn't putting out 100%.

2) Failure to accept coaching ...

3) Conditioning ...

4) Grades ...

Again, I don't know the facts of this situation. As a fan, I'm willing to give the current players time to develop, and there's nothing I'd like more.

I think Eddie B. has a couple years of eligibility left.

I am hoping he doesn't make this move because they still have to give brandt and siembida a chance.

I am not saying Blais will bring in another goalie, only that he said before the season started that he wouldn't rule out the possibility. I would think that given the team's success thus far, he wouldn't be considering it. Futhermore, I have not heard him or anyone else even suggest it.

Not being "inside the locker room", I am just speculating, OK?

But ... the reasons Blais would do something - and reasons that are consistent with his philosophy - are basic things like:

1) Low effort ... if Blais isn't satisfied with the effort, even first-round draft choices get benched, or booted down to the NHL. Having played a lot of team sports, nothing ruins team chemistry worse than working your butt of when someone else isn't putting out 100%.

2) Failure to accept coaching ...

3) Conditioning ...

4) Grades ...

Again, I don't know the facts of this situation. As a fan, I'm willing to give the current players time to develop, and there's nothing I'd like more.

I think Eddie B. has a couple years of eligibility left.

farce,

I can respond to your #'s 1-3.

I was in GF for the UAA series a few weeks ago & was able to watch a team practice on Thursday before the series. I was expecting a stetching, get the knots out of the muscles type of practice the day before a game.

I have seen more practices than I would care to recount, but the Sioux practice was unbelievable. I couldn't believe the pace that all the players were working at. I'm mean everybody. The practice pace was faster than most teams play games at. To watch the guys go thru the drills was awesome. The only time I saw anybody standing was when Dean called for a water break.

They started at a slow pace, worked in stretching exercises & just kept picking up the pace faster with every drill. After watching that practice I can see why the Sioux can wear teams down for the 3rd. period & the 2nd. night of the series by the 2nd. period. I was amazed at the pace of the last 30-45 minutes.

I thought that was one helluva workout. But it wasn't over. A lot of guys practiced shooting with the goalies & the rest went to the weight room.

And probably the best part of the practice was that it looked like they were all having fun.

Wow, Speez! The picture you just gave us boosted my expectations of this team 10-fold! ;) Of course I'm kidding, but it's very nice to hear that the team is working so hard for their current accomplishments, and that they are having fun doing it. That's important. More and more lately, I keep hearing/reading things that indicate the level of desire to win on this team, and that could carry them far in the season. We already know the talent is there.

Thanks for the info that most of us don't have access to! :D

Speez, thanks for the update.

I saw a handful of practices during the Panzer-Panzer years and it sounds very familiar. There is no substitute for chemistry ... that 1997 team had how many NHL draftees? like 1? but the rest is history, as they say.

You didn't say anything about the goalies ... any observations there?

Speez just reminded me of a news story from a couple of years ago.

Williston HS had just made the state hockey tournament for the first time. They came to the arena to practice. The Sioux were on the ice getting a skate in before getting on the bus to a road game.

The TV cameras were there to interview the Coyotes. They captured the kids watching the Sioux practice. Those kids all just stood there with their mouths hanging open and this stunned look on their faces.

One of the Coyotes told the reporter something like: Their goalies skate faster in practice than our forwards! ;)

My personal opinion is that you don't need to bring in any more

goalies now or after the Christmas break. Stay with Brandt and give

Ranfranz a chance and I mean more than a period. Remember you still

have Sofie also and he can do the job if called upon!

Go Sioux!!!

Parise for Hobey!!