SiouxSports.com Forum

new goalie at the break?

schmidtdoggydog

I get the feeling when reading many posts on this board that several UND fans are down on Siembida and, quite frankly, I don't understand why that is?

Sure his save percentage leaves something to be desired, but the bottom line is he, like Jake, is winning games.

This past Saturday for instance, Josh made several big saves, which Blais alluded to during the postgame. His save on the two on one was remarkable and seemed to deflate the Mavericks. Also, with ten seconds left and UND down two men (Mankato goalie pulled) Josh made a great save on Stevenson to ensure a Sioux victory.

The remaining goals he gave up were directly attributable to Mankato's PP or our own defensive breakdown(s).

I am not trying to start a debate about who is better Brandt or Siembida, as I feel they both are capable of being solid goaltenders, I just don't understand all the criticism. UND is ranked #1 in the country (deserved or not) and is 12-1-1. Some of that has to be credited to the goalies.

When teams don't trust their own goalies, they don't play well. That is not the case here. The Sioux players have repeatedly stated that they have faith in both young men and so should we!

We would all be better served cheering for them rather than against them.

I too will go on record against bringing in a new goalie mid-season. Jake is only one game removed from his excellent weekend against Wisconsin. I sat behind the Sioux net for the 1st period of the Friday Mankato game. Maybe Jake wasn't extremely sharp, but I didn't think he had a chance on at least three of those goals. I believe two were 5-on-3 power play goals. The entire team is to blame for that first period, not simply the goalie. Jake then came back in the 3rd and didn't give up a goal. I haven't seen a really bad performance by the goalies since the Friday night game in St. Cloud. Just my two cents.

I read somewhere that CB was bringing Schweitzer back to help coach the goalies. Any verification of that?

I remember reading something about this in the Herald, but it doesn't appear that it ever happened. I do think a goalie coach wouldn't be a bad idea, however.

Granted...its hard to complain with our record this year...but goaltending is certainly the weakness, so I'll chime in.

I saw Siembida at Mariucci last year when he showed up mid-season and he looked alright--until the league figured out he drops fastern'a two dollar hooker. He has the abililty to make some great saves, but puts himself out of position far too often for me (or Blais?) to have any confidence in him. Brandt has surprised me this year--but as someone already pointed out--the D has been stellar.

Last I checked, Sedevie is having a poor year. So I'd be surprised if he shows up at the break.

The TV cameras were there to interview the Coyotes. They captured the kids watching the Sioux practice. Those kids all just stood there with their mouths hanging open and this stunned look on their faces.

Actually, I say that I know where they are coming from, some of the things I have seen on the ice this year has been incredible. The chemistry is definately there and it makes you wonder how good they can become once they reach full potential. Most of these kids are only sophs. Think about it.

Massen is flat out the second coming of Cam Neely, Noterman is on Fire, Speiwak is making all of the right moves. I think he is skating faster than last year if that is possible. Hale, Schnider, Jones, Fuhr are punishing people. Schnider is averaging a point a game. Greene is getting better with each game, man would I hate to tangle with him. He is down right mean. David Hales fight was a million dollar fight. God he kick that guys ass... Hummmmm...

God I love the way the kid plays. I think Matt Greene is better than Commie. His upside is that he is just as mean and skates better.

Sorry just my opinon. Lienweber is playing really good. Parise is the best skater I have seen in years he scored a goal while being tackled last weekend. Impressive in my book...

Then there is the goal tending...