SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Draft

siouxhockey5

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great results for Sioux recruits.  Besides those first rounders mentioned, didn't it seem like Kozek went pretty high relative to expectations?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I've read, Lee, Oshie, and Kozek went higher than expectations. Chorney, Finley, and Watkins are the players who went about where the scouts said they would. Vandevelde went later than expected.

If scouts were 100 percent right, I believe this would have been the breakdown from what I've read:

1st Round: 2 (Lee and Finley)

2nd Round: 2 (Oshie and Chorney)

3rd Round: 2 (Kozek and Vandevelde)

5th Round: 1 (Watkins)

6th/7th Round: 1 (Jones)

I included Jones because, from all accounts, everywhere I read, thought he'd be a sure fire late round pick.

A big congratulations should go out to the entire Sioux hockey coaching staff for their recruiting efforts this season. Even though these players have not stepped on the ice wearing the green and white yet, I think it speaks highly that the professional hockey world's view of the draft year's talent is very much in line with the opinions of Hak, Brad, and Cary.

Great job coaches, and best of luck this seaon. It should be very exciting, indeed.

It was interesting to read Ottawa's comments regarding Lee. They said that they thought he was going to be picked before them and he was ranked at the top of their draft list, of course below Crosby I'm sure, but when Pittsburgh won the lottery, Lee was the Senators' choice.

The scouting services had him going anywhere from 10-30, so I really don't see that big of a surprise to see him picked at 9.

My husband is the Midwest scout for the Ottawa Senators and he had Lee at the top of his list and really pushed for him at their team meetings in June. The head scout came to town during the State hockey tourney to see Niskinin (sp) and Lee. Frankie Jay (head scout) was very impressed with Lee in March. My husband really liked Niskinin too ( I know he is a UMD recruit). Can't remember where he was drafted. After the lottery moved Ottawa up from 23rd to 9th pick overal, Ottawa was pretty sure they could nab Lee at #9 since Central Scouting had him at #15.

I am pretty sure Lee will be with UND for at least 2 years. When I talked to my husband from Ottawa last night, he said Lee was so excited and so happy. Pretty much on cloud nine.

BTW, first time poster, big time voyuer reading all the posts. :ohmy:

My husband is the Midwest scout for the Ottawa Senators and he had Lee at the top of his list and really pushed for him at their team meetings in June. The head scout came to town during the State hockey tourney to see Niskinin (sp) and Lee.  Frankie Jay (head scout) was very impressed with Lee in March.  My husband really liked Niskinin too ( I know he is a UMD recruit). Can't remember where he was drafted. After the lottery moved Ottawa up from 23rd to 9th pick overal,  Ottawa was pretty sure they could nab Lee at #9 since Central Scouting had him at #15.

I am pretty sure Lee will be with UND for at least 2 years.  When I talked to my husband from Ottawa last night, he said Lee was so excited and so happy.  Pretty much on cloud nine.

BTW, first time poster, big time voyuer reading all the posts. :ohmy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice to get some inside info; as you know from reading on this site, most of us just make things up as we go :0

I have been reading a lot of stuff on the hockeyfutures.com message boards (I noticed others from this board too) and Its funny to see how shocked some of the fans were at their picks. (I am just talking about the UND players drafted).

One great thing I got from reading all the different sites for different NHL teams is the Respect for the University of North Dakota. Most of them sites are Canadien people, who probably believe that all of the best players in the world come from the CHL, so it was fun to see their reaction and to see the respect and trust they have in their future players going to UND for their development.

I included Jones because, from all accounts, everywhere I read, thought he'd be a sure fire late round pick.

I was surprised too, but then I wondered if size might be an issue with Zach attracting NHL attention, since he appears to be more of a defensive defenseman. This from HF

Hockey's Future

7. Zach Jones, D

Ht: 5

I have been reading a lot of stuff on the hockeyfutures.com message boards (I noticed others from this board too) and Its funny to see how shocked some of the fans were at their picks. (I am just talking about the UND players drafted).

One great thing I got from reading all the different sites for different NHL teams is the Respect for the University of North Dakota.  Most of them sites are Canadien people, who probably  believe that all of the best players in the world come from the CHL, so it was fun to see their reaction and to see the respect and trust they have in their future players going to UND for their development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hockeysfuture.com is a great site and has great messageboards. Its fun telling people about our very own recruits and what their abilities etc. are. As you may have noticed, I post there and read some good information.

Thinking about next year's draft, UND could have two of the top five picks of the draft in Toews and, if comes to UND, Dowzak. If Mueller hadn't decided to go to the WHL instead of Minnesota, the Gophers could have too with him and Kessel. That'd make four of the top 5 picks from the WCHA. That would've been incredible. :ohmy:

Thinking about next year's draft, UND could have two of the top five picks of the draft in Toews and, if comes to UND, Dowzak.  If Mueller hadn't decided to go to the WHL instead of Minnesota, the Gophers could have too with him and Kessel.  That'd make four of the top 5 picks from the WCHA.  That would've been incredible.  :ohmy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be amazing.

I didn't realize Dowzak was rated that high by NHL'ers.

I think that Dowzaks development has slowed down and that is why no one has picked him up yet.  I bet teams wait to see how he does in the Ushl.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:ohmy:

I hope that you are joking. The fact that Dowzak seems to be a surefire top 10 pick in next year's NHL draft, I don't think that a) his development has slowed down or b) that any teams are waiting to see how he does in the USHL before they offer him a schollie. That seems qute ridiculous to me to even think that.

I think that Dowzaks development has slowed down and that is why no one has picked him up yet.  I bet teams wait to see how he does in the Ushl.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

His development hasn't slowed down at all. He's on a fast track to the NHL and every college that has a hockey team would like to pick him up, but you have to remember that he just finished his junior year of high school. Schools haven't even been able to approach him yet. Hopefully he'll make the right choice when the time comes.

... you have to remember that he just finished his junior year of high school.  Schools haven't even been able to approach him yet.  Hopefully he'll make the right choice when the time comes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Joe Finley just finished junior year of high school, too. And I read that Jack Johnson verbally commited to Michigan as a 14-year-old! It's never to early.

Joe Finley just finished junior year of high school, too. And I read that Jack Johnson verbally commited to Michigan as a 14-year-old! It's never to early.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somehow, I just can't imagine Cary Eades hanging around a maternity ward in Alberta or Minnesota looking to sign "the next Gretzky". :huh::ohmy:

Joe Finley accelerated his schooling, so he graduated. Finley was not as good a prospect as Dowzak. As for Dowzak waiting to commit to a school, he could commit anytime he wanted. He and his family have apparently decided to take the slow and steady route.

Thinking about next year's draft, UND could have two of the top five picks of the draft in Toews and, if comes to UND, Dowzak.  If Mueller hadn't decided to go to the WHL instead of Minnesota, the Gophers could have too with him and Kessel.  That'd make four of the top 5 picks from the WCHA.  That would've been incredible.  :ohmy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UND could have two in the top five with Toews and possibly Dowzak. Minnesota will have two top 5 picks in Kessel & Wheeler.

I think that the big point was that  the Sioux would have 2 of the top 5 picks in one draft, rather than from different drafts.  Also,  Wheeler was not a top five talent, unlike the other three mentioned IMHO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Say what you want to say about Wheeler not being a top 5 talent, but when the Great One decides to draft you at that position, that sure says a hell of a lot right there in itself.

All that I was saying was that Gretzky could have taken a more surefire thing in the first round at 5 and then attempted to trade their second and maybe 4th or 5th round pick to get into the bottom of the first round and grab Wheeler there. No mock drafts that I saw had Wheeler going above 20th. Another option would have been to trade out of the 5 spot and get some more picks (which Phoenix could definitely use) even another 2nd out of the deal. Gretzky may not have even made the pick, it might have been one of their scouts or their coach at the time. You never really know who makes the picks for any given team. This is all just my opinion though.