SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Draft

siouxhockey5

Thinking about next year's draft, UND could have two of the top five picks of the draft in Toews and, if comes to UND, Dowzak.  If Mueller hadn't decided to go to the WHL instead of Minnesota, the Gophers could have too with him and Kessel.  That'd make four of the top 5 picks from the WCHA.  That would've been incredible.  :ohmy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bet that Okoposo will be top 10 next year. As for Dowzak, I hope I am wrong, I would love to see a kid from northern Minnesota come to UND and do well, but it seems like his mobility hasn't improved much and his overall skating needs to get better. I am not cutting him down and hopefully after a year in the USHL he proves himself, but right now he will probably end up at a St. Cloud or Duluth.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard enough about the Great One's talent judging prowess to feel the need to say this:

There's little evidence in sport that great skills actually playing the sport make one a great coach or talent evaluator. Many times an unskilled or lowly skilled player makes a great coach or talent evaluator.

Just because Gretzky was a phenom doesn't make him a better judge of talent than other GM's. His track record makes or breaks him. I don't follow NHL hockey closely enough to know what Gretzky's track record of drafting talent is, but others can fill me in there. It's my impression that he hasn't yet distinguished himself from the crowd. (If indeed he IS considered elite in this category, I retract my point!)

He was THE Great One as a player, but that doesn't make him The Great GM, yet.

I will say today that Dowzak will end up at UND or Wisco. Forget about the second tier programs having much of a shot at him. I saw him play a couple of games last year and he is certainly just as good or better on his skates than Smaby and even if he does get beat around the edge his reach is so good that he can pull of the poke check.

Just because Gretzky was a phenom doesn't make him a better judge of talent than other GM's.  His track record makes or breaks him.  I don't follow NHL hockey closely enough to know what Gretzky's track record of drafting talent is, but others can fill me in there.  It's my impression that he hasn't yet distinguished himself from the crowd.  (If indeed he IS considered elite in this category, I retract my point!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. Until he wins a Cup, or at least makes a run at one or two, wearing a suit, Gretzky remains a great player only. The ranks of pro sports, and college too, are littered with fomerly great players who were mediocre as coaches, managers, etc. That said, I think Wheeler is still a very talented player, and he will probably do well in college, and maybe the pros too.

Exactly. Until he wins a Cup, or at least makes a run at one or two, wearing a suit, Gretzky remains a great player only. The ranks of pro sports, and college too, are littered with fomerly great players who were mediocre as coaches, managers, etc. That said, I think Wheeler is still a very talented player, and he will probably do well in college, and maybe the pros too.

Yes, I'd like to make clear that I'm not dissing Gretzky's prowess as a GM. He may be an excellent judge of talent. I just don't know if that's been proven or not, and for now, to me, the claims that "Gretzky picked him so he must be great" sound hollow.

This is from Foxsports.com click on NHL and you will see the story about top sleeper picks.

Here are 10 prospects we think could be the sleeper picks of this year's draft.

1. Atlanta Thrashers: 53rd pick, Andrew Kozak, C, South Surrey Eagles (BCHL)

Yes, he was drafted in the second round, but many teams had the opportunity to take a flyer on this kid and they might end up regretting it. This slick center with sniper ability had 48 goals and 49 assists in 60 games to lead his team in points in 2004-05. He has exceptional speed and acceleration and could become a menace with the new rules in the NHL. He is headed to the University of North Dakota this fall, and if he can improve his defense and add a little strength while he's there, teams will wonder how he slipped.

I've heard enough about the Great One's talent judging prowess to feel the need to say this:

There's little evidence in sport that great skills actually playing the sport make one a great coach or talent evaluator.  Many times an unskilled or lowly skilled player makes a great coach or talent evaluator.

Just because Gretzky was a phenom doesn't make him a better judge of talent than other GM's.  His track record makes or breaks him.  I don't follow NHL hockey closely enough to know what Gretzky's track record of drafting talent is, but others can fill me in there.  It's my impression that he hasn't yet distinguished himself from the crowd.  (If indeed he IS considered elite in this category, I retract my point!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally agree with this. While Gretzky is only a part owner of the team, the GM is some dude named Barnett (or something like that) one would think that he would have significant influence on personnel decisions. All I know is that some fool out in Phoenix is responsible for the Flyers getting Jeff Carter. Phx traded their 2003 first rounder to the Flyers for Daymond Langkow --- in Philly he was known as Klang-kow.

Dumb, dumb move on their part. Klangkow is nothing more than a 3rd liner, although in Phx he is getting lots of ice time.

In fact, it would't surprise me if Gretzky someday ends up in a NYR front office after he gets sick of losing in Phx. He can end up losing in NY --- they are all oilers-blueskirts inbreds anyway.

we are waiting here in phx until the end of this week for gretzky to make up his mind if he is going to coach the coyotes.theres a few reasons he has not said yes yet..his family situation with his kids in LA and his moms health..if these situations work out he will coach the coyotes this season...now if he takes this job we will be dipping into another topic with great players trying to coach

larry bird

ted williams

michael barnett was on radio saying wayne will make up his mind very soon as i believe the coyotes are the only nhl team without a coach...

On Watkins, from the Dallas Stars website:

Tim Bernhardt, Dallas Stars Director of Amateur Scouting: "He's heading off to a real good program at the University of North Dakota for four years. He's got real flat-out top-end speed."

Brad Robson, Dallas Stars Scout: "He is a very smart and skilled player with good vision. He sees the ice very well and he's very good and very calm with the puck. He runs a power play well and is good with the puck down low."

http://www.dallasstars.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=2971