SiouxSports.com Forum

The early departures begin

PCM

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think he was blown up a bit to much. he had a hell of a college career and he may end up being a good nhl goalie but i guess we will just have to wait and see.just my 2 cents. maybe i just have a bad taste from the world juniors and all the goals he gave up...he did have 5 career assists as a goalie, not bad!! his sophmore year was great but last year his numbers slipped..i'm sure this is the 1st of many standout college players to sign...

GAA

2.33.. 2002-03

2.23...2003-04

2.52...2004-05

SAVE %

.911...2002-03

.917...2003-04

.895...2004-05

THis is not unexpected.  The only goaltender more likely to go than Montoya would be Howard.  Still,  the Rangers need goaltending like fish need water.  So it's good for both parties.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I was a little surprised they took Montoya with highly regarded prospects Henrik Lunqvist and Dan Blackburn already in the system.

The Rangers aren't exactly known for getting the most out of their talent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very true. The Rangers, their fans and the New York media have no patience for developing young talent. And I say this as a Rangers fan.

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archiv...ontoya_0345.htm

It is interesting to read that Red Berenson doesn't seem to be too thrilled with the decision.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RB says the same thing everytime one of his players leaves early. I can see his position, but don't understand why he publicly whines about it whenever one of his players makes an early jump?

Berenson happens to be right, because of course everyone could use another year of seasoning. But he seems to have forgotten that college hockey is just another step on the developmental ladder for the blue-chip players Michigan recruits. I agree, sdd, he should just shut up about it and wish his guys well.

Very true. The Rangers, their fans and the New York media have no patience for developing young talent. And I say this as a Rangers fan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the most interesting aspect to me regarding how things are going to be in the CBA. Developing talent may now be emphasized now. At the end of the last NHL season played, Sather was cleaning house and bringing up young talent. ESPN labelled it the beginning of their youth movement. This perhaps continues that trend.

In any case, it's remarkable that a top 10 draft pick has lasted until his junior year was completed anyways.

Like I've said before, this off season is going to be interesting to watch.

Actually I was a little surprised they took Montoya with highly regarded prospects Henrik Lunqvist and Dan Blackburn already in the system.

Actually, Blackburn is no longer considered a prospect. He's been battling a freakish injury the past couple of years that doesn't allow him to extend his catching shoulder outward. It got so bad that he was playing in the ECHL for awhile, and now the plan is to -- get this -- have him play with a blocker on each hand and no trapper.

As the biggest rangers hater in the universe I am pleased to hear this news. Montoya will do nothing at the NHL level, but this is typical of the average blueskirt as of late. No doubt they will throw him to the wolves right away and let him face 59 shots per night. Then, around mid-November, when the rangers have once again been eliminated from the playoffs for the 8th consecutive year, they will send him down to the woofpack and he will fade into obscurity. Then he will earn a living mowing JohnDavidson's lawn.

As someone else suggested, Dan Blackburn is finished. He hurt his shoulder during some weight lifting exercise.

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archiv...trisks_0343.htm

Here is a good article on the Flight Risks. I can think of a couple I would like to see leave. Number one is Robbie Earl. I think there is  a good chance Ryan P might leave. I think philly is probably going to be looking for some new players after cutting fat...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Philly should actually be in excellent post-lockout shape. They've already signed their top two prospects - Jeff Carter and Mike Richards - both of whom were big players at the last world juniors for Canada. Their AHL affiliate also won the Calder Cup, so there's plenty of young talent in the system.

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archiv...trisks_0343.htm

Here is a good article on the Flight Risks. I can think of a couple I would like to see leave. Number one is Robbie Earl. I think there is  a good chance Ryan P might leave. I think philly is probably going to be looking for some new players after cutting fat...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Methinks Goon is going fishing with the Ryan P info.

ryan miller has been invited the the usa evaluation camp for the olympics1 of 39 players along with parise and jason blake..

I think Al Montoya has a brilliant NHL career ahead of him.  After all, one just needs to look at how well Ryan Miller has fared in the NHL since he left Michigan State.  Oh...wait...nevermind...  :ohmy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>