SiouxSports.com Forum

The early departures begin

PCM

If he was being offered an AHL spot or a legit tryout for an AHL spot, he'd be crazy not to take it in my opinion.  Again this assumes a decent bonus/contract that can more than pay for his education if he can't make it in hockey.

If he waits he'd have to compete with potentially Smaby and next years draft picks.  It's not like all 7th round picks get opportunities every year.  If he goes in and plays well he will be the one who is tough to unseat, rather than him trying to unseat an existing defensemen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All excellant points...

Are you sure your not a Sioux fan? :D

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Wow.

That's gonna hurt UW.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not so much. He was a sophomore that saw sparse action as a 4th liner in one of their first two games of the year.

Looks from here like it will be 14 guys vying for 12 lineup spots.

It looks to be a good decision (at this time) for him, hockey-wise.

I think UND had a kid do that in a very similar situation back in the early 90's. Was it Paxton Schulte? I think he went to the WHL and played for, and was Captain, of the Spokane Chiefs.

Not so much. He was a sophomore that saw sparse action as a 4th liner in one of their first two games of the year.

Looks from here like it will be 14 guys vying for 12 lineup spots.

It looks to be a good decision (at this time) for him, hockey-wise.

I think UND had a kid do that in a very similar situation back in the early 90's. Was it Paxton Schulte? I think he went to the WHL and played for, and was Captain, of the Spokane Chiefs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No dispute there. I just thought he was a better talent than a 4th liner.

Didn't Byfuglien do that too?

Tyler Hirsch to Apply for Medical Hardship Waiver for 2005-06

Geez, not to be a pessimist, but I do believe that that will be the last that anyone ever sees of Tyler wearing a major college hockey uniform. Unless he is on the passenger side of the glass.

Good luck to the kid. The pressures of life are sometimes more than what they are, and sometimes more than what they should be.

Hopefully he will be able to get the help he needs in order to get his life in order. This will be a loss for the Gophers as he is a tremendous hockey player but it is just a game and if this is what it takes for him to get his life in order, that is much more important.

Maybe this is a tangent, but what does it take to get a medical hardship waiver?

Does Tyler really have a good case to get one? I know I'm an outsider, but from where I sit, I don't see much beyond the blip that people cite about him that warrants it being granted.

Not collegiately speaking, but imagine what this speaks to regarding a future in hockey. Can a pro team trust Tyler in a stressful situation? What if he gets in a rut, does he have the mindset to get himself out of it? Tough decision, I am sure it is. Career threatening, no doubt.

Best of luck Tyler.

Maybe this is a tangent, but what does it take to get a medical hardship waiver?

Does Tyler really have a good case to get one?  I know I'm an outsider, but from where I sit, I don't see much beyond the blip that people cite about him that warrants it being granted.

Not collegiately speaking, but imagine what this speaks to regarding a future in hockey.  Can a pro team trust Tyler in a stressful situation?  What if he gets in a rut, does he have the mindset to get himself out of it?  Tough decision, I am sure it is.  Career threatening, no doubt.

Best of luck Tyler.

You know, without knowing what his situation is, I think it's best to leave out the speculation.

Does Tyler really have a good case to get one?  I know I'm an outsider, but from where I sit, I don't see much beyond the blip that people cite about him that warrants it being granted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This reminds me of the medical hardship the NCAA granted Oklahoma DT Dusty Dvoracek who went through anger-management and alcohol-related counseling.

The statement below was taken from an article about Dvoracek being granted a medical hardship.

To qualify for a medical hardship, a student-athlete must be unable to compete because of injury or illness for a portion of a season and have documentation from a medical doctor, according to NCAA bylaws.