SiouxSports.com Forum

The early departures begin

PCM

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now there is an added importance to have guys commited for a the future in case you need to pull them in early.  Like if another forward left UND it is nice to have Vandevelde to bring in.

I noted PCM's comment about there being departures yet this summer. I took that (hopefully) that he meant in college hockey, not just at UND. Now your comment. A fella gets to gettin' nervous. Any more to this than you shared above?

Bad for college hockey and their fans; but it is good for the NHL.  As a Flyers fan I am pleased to see dead weight such as Recchi/LeClair moved in order to make room for the young guys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does this mean that we can look forward to Ryan Potulny wearing a Flyers' sweater when the NHL starts? ;)

I noted PCM's comment about there being departures yet this summer.  I took that (hopefully) that he meant in college hockey, not just at UND.  Now your comment.  A fella gets to gettin' nervous.  Any more to this than you shared above?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was a general statement. I have no specific information or solid rumors on who else might go from UND or any other school.

PCM,

Not sure what to make of Potulny at this point. The Flyers are neck deep in centers right now. Forsberg, Primeau, Mikael Handzus, Jeff Carter and Mike Richards----even Patrick Sharp, who is a natural center, will play wing this year. They have R.J. Umberger, who played at Ohio State, was drafted #1 by Vancouver and neither they nor the Rangers could sign him; Umberger had a good year with the Phantoms and will most likely be ready before Potulny.

At least year's prospect camp everyone was saying that Potulny was the most impressive propsect...and that camp included Carter and Richards. R.P certainly came out of the gates last season at a pretty good pace but then slowed down considerably during the latter half of the season. So, I don't really know. He certainly appears to have the skills necessary, but whether or not he can elevate his game when the time comes is a question. I have no reason to believe the Flyers are rushing to sign him. If he makes it to the NHL I would think he is at least 2-3 years away at this point.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dunno. Stunned a little myself. Arrogant as this sounds, Smaby is closer to the NHL than Rosehill readiness wise.

Edited by redwing77

No doubt that Smaby is the more talented and developed player however Rosehill has the more feisty edge to him and maybe Tampa Bay felt they were a little short in that area with respect to their AHL team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D Did you see Smaby on the PK when chicken S@#$ Gwoz finally put Paukovich out on the ice after the cheap shot. From that point on he was the Sioux #1 defender, i thought (even better than greene). Absolute domination from that point on. His play however didn't turn into good luck in the last game. :)

:D Did you see Smaby on the PK when chicken S@#$ Gwoz finally put Paukovich out on the ice after the cheap shot. From that point on he was the Sioux #1 defender, i thought (even better than greene). Absolute domination from that point on. His play however didn't turn into good luck in the last game. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was trying to avoid inflamming the good Dogz fans on this site. ??? By feisty edge, I was implying that Rosehill can be a dirty SOB at times whereas, although Smaby can dish out the big hits, he usually sticks to the rules and spirit of the game.

I was trying to avoid inflamming the good Dogz fans on this site.  :D  By feisty edge, I was implying that Rosehill can be a dirty SOB at times whereas, although Smaby can dish out the big hits, he usually sticks to the rules and spirit of the game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that is perfect example of how I feel about this....

I dunno. Stunned a little myself. Arrogant as this sounds, Smaby is closer to the NHL than Rosehill readiness wise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. I didn't even consider Rosehill a flight risk. He gooned it up a little too much for my tastes, and that's saying a lot, because I enjoy gooning. Smaby is much more NHL ready. Rosehill could have benefitted from a year or two more of collegiate play. And the 'Dogs could have used him, now that he's had a year to experience the WCHA and calmed down a bit from juniors (I hope?) He would have had a chance to be a leader, as the 'Dogs were only returning 4 D-men, now only 3. Granted, Niskanen is going to kick some major a$$ but Rosehill is going to be a big loss to the team. Big mistake on his part and TB's.

Agreed. I didn't even consider Rosehill a flight risk. He gooned it up a little too much for my tastes, and that's saying a lot, because I enjoy gooning. Smaby is much more NHL ready. Rosehill could have benefitted from a year or two more of collegiate play. And the 'Dogs could have used him, now that he's had a year to experience the WCHA and calmed down a bit from juniors (I hope?) He would have had a chance to be a leader, as the 'Dogs were only returning 4 D-men, now only 3. Granted, Niskanen is going to kick some major a$$ but Rosehill is going to be a big loss to the team. Big mistake on his part and TB's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How can you say it's a mistake on his part? Much like Jake Taylor last year this may be his only chance to sign with an NHL organization.

I would expect that while he won't be set for life of this first contract, I'm sure it it plenty large enough to cover his educational costs should he choose to return to college and get a degree.

How can you say it's a mistake on his part? Much like Jake Taylor last year this may be his only chance to sign with an NHL organization.

I would expect that while he won't be set for life of this first contract, I'm sure it it plenty large enough to cover his educational costs should he choose to return to college and get a degree.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt it would have been his only chance. I mean, he could get some sort of career-ending injury, yes, but he was drafted coming in to the 'Dogs (yes, that sort of thing doesn't just happen to players from the U of M and UND), so it wasn't like he was a senior desperate for his one chance at the NHL.

I can't say for sure if a year of playing has improved him much as a hockey player, which would have been shown in another year of play in the WCHA. He could have proved himself as a leader with a broader sense of the game. You know, a game that's more than just 10 minute majors. More power to him, I guess, if Tampa Bay is dumb enough to gamble that he's grown enough from 1 year of college hockey, but he should have taken another year.

I doubt it would have been his only chance. I mean, he could get some sort of career-ending injury, yes, but he was drafted coming in to the 'Dogs (yes, that sort of thing doesn't just happen to players from the U of M and UND), so it wasn't like he was a senior desperate for his one chance at the NHL.

I can't say for sure if a year of playing has improved him much as a hockey player, which would have been shown in another year of play in the WCHA. He could have proved himself as a leader with a broader sense of the game. You know, a game that's more than just 10 minute majors. More power to him, I guess, if Tampa Bay is dumb enough to gamble that he's grown enough from 1 year of college hockey, but he should have taken another year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If he was being offered an AHL spot or a legit tryout for an AHL spot, he'd be crazy not to take it in my opinion. Again this assumes a decent bonus/contract that can more than pay for his education if he can't make it in hockey.

If he waits he'd have to compete with potentially Smaby and next years draft picks. It's not like all 7th round picks get opportunities every year. If he goes in and plays well he will be the one who is tough to unseat, rather than him trying to unseat an existing defensemen.