SiouxSports.com Forum

Murray's Leaving

The Sicatoka

Early departures happen everywhere, but obviously moreso with top programs. Kessel and Wheeler will likely be one year players. But the one thing that's most troubling for me is that Minnesota's path to the Frozen Four may well be through the Ralph! God Help Us All if we have to witness that in person.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You could have forward lines of (of course I'm just guessing on line combos):"

Zajak, Stafford, Spirko

Toews, Porter, Duncan

Watkins, Kozek, Prpich

Kozek, Fabian, Duncan

Stack,  Just curious but are you intentionally double shifting Kozek and Duncan?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Holy crap I must not have got enough sleep last night.

I'd leave the first three lines alone and change the 4th line to be:

Oshie, Fabian, ? There's been talk about Miller having a bum shoulder and I have no idea about Martens.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Fabian moves up the charts. Once he got over his injuries last year he was a force and if he continues to improve he could easily be on the third line.

Early departures happen everywhere, but obviously moreso with top programs.  Kessel and Wheeler will likely be one year players. But the one thing that's most troubling for me is that Minnesota's path to the Frozen Four may well be through the Ralph! God Help Us All if we have to witness that in person.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Besides those two, MN doesn't have the talent for any early departures . . . :sad:

I was thinking the same thing...failure?? The NBA is actually doing quite well for itself. Not sure why a die hard hockey fan would be out calling one of the top sports in the country/world a failure.

The NHL has been outdrawn in attendance by the Arena Football League since, I believe, 2000. The league is no longer playing, and who knows when/if it will come back. The NBA's collective bargaining agreement is up this summer and I for one hope, and think, they will sort it out. The NBA is heads and shoulders above the NHL for fan base.

Another thing, I remember someone posting earlier about how the NBA has it so screwed up with players leaving from high school. Think of how many hockey players are giving up HIGH SCHOOL years to play juniors. I know this is a bit different, but is along the same lines. If you have a better opportunity you should take it. I hope the NBA incorporates the 20+ rule because I hate how teams have to draft these young guys based solely on their potential. These gm's don't want to be the guy that passed up on the next star, so they have to draft these unproven 18 year olds out of high school.

Just my opinion...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By failure I meant the stories you routinely hear about the 17 yr old kid passing up a scholarship to be Kobe II, not getting drafted in the first round, not making a team and so on. Yes the NBA is failry healthy, but they need to implement an age rule like the NFL. And yes, of course the NHL is on a severe downturn and obviously much needs to be fixed there as well.

I remember when NBA games were on tape delay and the NHL was far superior . . .

Part of a story found here.

"A rare Game 7 in the Stanley Cup finals drew the NHL championship's best overnight rating since at least 1997.

Colorado's 3-1 victory over New Jersey to clinch the title Saturday night generated a 5.6 preliminary rating on ABC Sports.

That's better than for any Stanley Cup game in at least four years, according to the network, whose NHL overnight ratings data doesn't go beyond 1998. There have been 13 final-round games televised on broadcast networks in that time.

The rating is also 8 percent better than for Game 6 of last season's championship series, when New Jersey beat Dallas 2-1 in double overtime to clinch the title.

For comparison's sake, the rating is less than half of what the World Series and NBA Finals each averaged in 2000."

Part of a story found here.

"A rare Game 7 in the Stanley Cup finals drew the NHL championship's best overnight rating since at least 1997.

Colorado's 3-1 victory over New Jersey to clinch the title Saturday night generated a 5.6 preliminary rating on ABC Sports.

That's better than for any Stanley Cup game in at least four years, according to the network, whose NHL overnight ratings data doesn't go beyond 1998. There have been 13 final-round games televised on broadcast networks in that time.

The rating is also 8 percent better than for Game 6 of last season's championship series, when New Jersey beat Dallas 2-1 in double overtime to clinch the title.

For comparison's sake, the rating is less than half of what the World Series and NBA Finals each averaged in 2000."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.

I really think a lot of you are selling Fabian short. Whether the coaches share my thoughts (let's hope for all our sakes that this would be a rare exception), I couldn't possibly say, but I'd love to see a Fabian - Porter - Prpich line, especially with that snot-nosed punk Kessel on the ice (throw in Greene and Smaby on D). Call that the BBVGW line (black & blue via green & white), or maybe the Armageddon line.

Its fun to make up your dream lines for next year, I do it too. But at least know the postitions of the players. Know if they are a center or RW or LW.

The difference between this class and 2001, This class has 5 guys that may be drafted in the first 2 rounds if the NHL gets its stuff together. Possibly 2 first rounders. Guys like Duncan and Miller will be big time producers when they are juniors and seniors (hopefully earlier).

A couple of things came to mind as I read this thread...

Injuries may have been as much a factor in Brady's decision as the money was. I guess he figured he should take it while it was there.

In the long run I think it would be better to stay in school, develop not only his game but maturity while getting his degree. I understand the money being tempting but one would think it would be a bit easier to turn down seeing as how he has to go to Europe to earn it. Not all the stories of NHLers playing over there have been good ones. I imagine Switzerland isn't as bad as Russia but they are still playing away from home, family and friends.

Isn't it the dream of these guys to play in the NHL? Why not stay in school, develop in one of, if not the best college leagues in the country and hope for a settlement of the NHL problems?

For those NHL players who didn't to Europe, those who suffer career ending injuries or who just aren't good enough, wouldn't they be in better shape for a non-hockey future if they had a degree to fall back on?

I'd like to think loyalty would play a part in the decision as well but I'm not that naive. :sad:

Sure, guys could develop playing D1 hockey.

But can't they also develop playing in another pro league somewhere? I think that's what is easy to forget. A guy may leave college before he's ready for the NHL, but he might develop just as well somewhere else while he's making money. And you can always go to school later on that money.

Another thought: Many people will know better what degree they should put that money toward after they have aged and matured a bit.

I'd love to have these guys stay at UND all 4 years, get their degree and move along, but I just don't see any strong argument against there being other very good alternatives for them.

We must have looked at most of the same sources for handedness and positions!

I've also played with the lines. I liked how you split up the Spirko-Zajac-Stafford combo. I preferred to stick with them myself. I tried to consider handedness but that was down on my list of priorities.

Spirko L - Zajac R - Stafford R

Porter L - Watkins L - Duncan L

Kozek L - Toews L - Oshie R

Prpich L - Kaip R - Fabian L

( - Martens R - Miller R)

Zajac and Stafford were working some magic at the end of the year regardless if their handedness doesn't fit the formula. So I left that together.

Red Line described Watkins as a smooth centerman, so I decided to let him center a line. Sure, there's 2 freshmen on that line but when you are playing at least 5 freshmen forwards it's going to happen. Porter provides some upperclass leadership and physical play hopefully to protect Duncan. Duncan's got some age for a freshman so hopefully that line doesn't suffer too much from inexperience.

I fought the urge to put 3 freshman on the 3rd line but I did it anyway. The 3rd line should be against weaker lines on other teams so I felt it was a good place to stow a bunch of inexperienced players. Oshie is a talented playmaker and so is Toews. I let Toews play center due to the fact he probably has the most upside, but you could switch Toews and Oshie. 2 very talented playmakers and Kozek (whom Hakstol said can really shoot the puck) should be able to clean up. Hopefully this line can surprise the lines matched against them.

The Red Pepper line is an experienced, gritty line. I decided to put experienced players on this line with the hopes it can limit the other team's scorers. With a young defense we might need that extra help.

Folks, I had a bit of an epiphany over the weekend.

I've been thinking in terms of a 15-9-3 roster* going into the fall with VandeVelde and Marto coming in fall of 2006.

But then the name "Matt Moreland" struck me again. He's in the team photo that was in the charter materials given to folks who went to Columbus. What's his status going into the fall. I believe his "five years to complete four seasons" clock is running as he was enrolled at UND while he was playing for the FM Jets last year.

* Roster ---

15 forwards: Prpich, Stafford, Porter, Fabian, Foyt, Zajac, Spirko, Kaip, Watkins, Kozek, Duncan, Toews, Miller, Martens, Oshie.

9 defensemen: Greene, Marvin, Smaby, Bina, Radke, Chorney, Jones, Lee, Alexander.

3 goalies: Parise, Lamoureux, Walski.

Folks, I had a bit of an epiphany over the weekend.

I've been thinking in terms of a 15-9-3 roster* going into the fall with VandeVelde and Marto coming in fall of 2006.

But then the name "Matt Moreland" struck me again. He's in the team photo that was in the charter materials given to folks who went to Columbus. What's his status going into the fall. I believe his "five years to complete four seasons" clock is running as he was enrolled at UND while he was playing for the FM Jets last year.

* Roster ---

15 forwards: Prpich, Stafford, Porter, Fabian, Foyt, Zajac, Spirko, Kaip, Watkins, Kozek, Duncan, Toews, Miller, Martens, Oshie.

9 defensemen: Greene, Marvin, Smaby, Bina, Radke, Chorney, Jones, Lee, Alexander.

3 goalies: Parise, Lamoureux, Walski.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I probably would stike Foyt off the list. I can't see him playing on next years team.