SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Name Issue

MafiaMan

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the funniest quote ever.  He says it's none of the NCAA's business, yet this comes right after they make a new rule putting these schools in a bad situation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. On the face of it, the two statements don't appear to make sense. I suspect that this issue will end up in the courts.

Guidelines were not immediately available on which logos and nicknames would be considered "hostile or abusive."

Hello, Litigation. I would suspect that the names/ logos deemed "hostile or abusive" will probably depend on how much each school kissed the NC$$'s ass in their "self reports". Morons. :ohmy:

Though this particular rule may seem a minor inconvenience (wear special tourney uniforms if "Sioux" is deemed offensive), this really could turn into a Gettysburg for the name-change activists. It's the first time the NCAA has agreed to punish schools with Indian nicknames, so one could conjecture that future efforts could be far more successful now that the "seal is broken".

This is not the first attempt to ban post-season hosting by the NCAA. Though this movement started a few years ago with SCSU trying to strip UND of its 2005 basketball tournament (later overruled), they've finally convinced the executive committee. Name-change vs. no more tournament hosting is going to be a tough question for UND moreso than the big-name D-I schools who don't play their marquee sports in on-campus NCAA tournaments.

This current action and the South Carolina confederate flag rulings show a clear willingness on the part of the NCAA to use its control of post-season tournaments to propagate its notion of "cultural sensitivity". I could see this movement bear future efforts to ban NCAA tournament participation, encourage conference tournaments not to host with Native American nicknamed schools, encouraging schools not to play teams with Indian nicknames, etc...

Wow, so FSU will have to take off the "Noles" on the front of each helmet and each jersey and what about the "spear"? And Illinois will have to have different unis withought the word Illini on them. This is going to cost quite a bit of money. It says they will ask for teams hosting tourneys to "cover up" logos. Man is that going to take a long time in the REA for the tourney next year.

I agree with Jim, I think this is just a foot in the door for bigger things. I see a ruling coming down in the not to distant future to rid all teams of these "offensive names" It will take time though in the courts deeming which names are offensive. i.e. will Notre Dame be forced to switch, will they allow no-one to have a the name of a group of people? These are questions that will take quite some time (and money) to answer.

It will take time though in the courts deeming which names are offensive.  i.e.  will Notre Dame be forced to switch, will they allow no-one to have a the name of a group of people?  These are questions that will take quite some time (and money) to answer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking the same about Notre Dame. How is it only being deemed offensive towards only Native Americans? To take it further, what about names like Trojans and Spartans? Can't a case be made against them as well?

I'm a bit confused as usual. Who will decide if a name or logo is offensive? And if Wisconsin is not going to schedule games with schools that have Indian logos/names, are we no longer going to play hockey at Wisconsin? If we're not, are they going to come and play at the REA? :ohmy:

I'm a bit confused as usual. Who will decide if a name or logo is offensive? And if Wisconsin is not going to schedule games with schools that have Indian logos/names, are we no longer going to play hockey at Wisconsin? If we're not, are they going to come and play at the REA? :ohmy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Wisconsin rule has been on the books for a long time. It applies to non-conference.

Why do I get the feeling that the next step will be to not allow the fans to wear any "offensive" gear for tournaments as well?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd like to see them try to enforce that. I mean it, I'd like to see them try to stop me. I'll go crazy and I'm pretty shifty!! They'd never catch me! I'd hide in the women's bathroom. HA HA!

I'd like to see them try to enforce that. I mean it, I'd like to see them try to stop me. I'll go crazy and I'm pretty shifty!! They'd never catch me! I'd hide in the women's bathroom. HA HA!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got a new life goal for you:

Sneak into every Frozen Four! Maybe you can become as famous as that guy that sneaks into the Super Bowls! :ohmy:

I want to know what the NCAA is going to determine as offensive.

Will Florida State, that has the blessing of the Seminole tribe, be included in that group or not?

Ugh, this just wrecks my weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wrecks your weekend? I'm getting just as drunk as I would have, which is VERY!

This is really getting crazy! I hope North Dakota and the other schools don't cave in. A few years ago, Saint John's University in New York changed from Redmen to Red Storm. Nobody has any idea what that nickname has to do with a college in New York City. I am just waiting for people to try to get Rutgers to change our name. Somebody is going to say Scarlet Knights is going to make people go out and start the Crusades again. I hope the PC Thought Police don't come to my house to confiscate my brand new North Dakota jersey because it has an Indian on it and says Sioux. What's next--make all the Catholic colleges take Saint out of their name? Or maybe ban all North and South Carolina colleges from the NCAA because they grow tobacco there? I really think if all the colleges get together to fight this attack on free speech and The Constitution, the NCAA will back down.--And by the way, I am part Indian. I don't say Native American because anyone born in America is a Native American. It doesn't matter if your ancestors came from England, Italy, Kenya, Korea, Sweden, Australia, etc.