SiouxSports.com Forum

Walski

joelbird

It was on the news here in Bismarck last night that G Aaron Walski of the Bismarck Bobcats signed with the Sioux for next year. There wasn't anything in the paper here today though. Anyone else see this or know anything about it?

It was on the news here in Bismarck last night that G Aaron Walski of the Bismarck Bobcats signed with the Sioux for next year.  There wasn't anything in the paper here today though.  Anyone else see this or know anything about it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't he the goalie from Fargo North that made like 75 saves against Red River in the state championship game?

It was on the news here in Bismarck last night that G Aaron Walski of the Bismarck Bobcats signed with the Sioux for next year.  There wasn't anything in the paper here today though.  Anyone else see this or know anything about it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He may play for the Sioux, but he did not sign. BTW, how did we miss out on Dillon Rioux, the name just seems to fit, but UCONN beat us to him.

It's too bad Ziggy left to UMD, or we wouldn't have had to find a new goalie...and in the overtime game, Ziegelman beat Walski

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's cause Ziggy faced like three shots. ;) Walski didn't lose that game, he just gave up the last goal. He was incredible in that game.

I'm wondering about the "signed" part of this too.

Normally UND puts out a release about a signed national letter of intent (and we are in an open signing period until August).

"Planning to walk on" or "invited to try out" might be what the story should have said. I guess we'll have to keep an eye on FightingSioux.com for official notice if he really did sign.

Normally UND puts out a release about a signed national letter of intent (and we are in an open signing period until August).

"Planning to walk on" or "invited to try out" might be what the story should have said. I guess we'll have to keep an eye on FightingSioux.com for official notice if he really did sign.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure what's going on with fightingsioux.com, but they've been a little erratic lately in terms of putting out press releases after letter of intent signings. They STILL haven't posted one to announce the spring men's basketball signees.

I tend to think there is a lot of sloppy "reporting" when it comes to college commitments and either the media doesn't do a good job of being specific about what "committing" or "signing" means or the person passing on what they saw often uses the term loosely.

In this case I'm not commenting on Joelbird's accuracy, just making my own observation.

This may explain "timeliness".

dagies: I agree completely. I'd guess only a fraction of even sports reporters could define the difference between a signing and a verbal.

DaveK: Brian Williams, Gary Kaiser, Pat O'Leary, maybe if reports are true Aaron Walski: all Fargo North. ;) ;)

I would have liked Beiswenger or perhaps even Chris Vardy to walk on.

No, I'm not saying this because they would give JPar or Phil a run for their money. I'm saying that because then our forwards would get practice against a big goaltender. Beiswenger is 6'2 and Vardy (or is it Vandy?) is 6'4". They wouldn't play anyways. It's just nice to get practice beating a big goaltender.

Walski would do the trick as well.

Walski was tied for 6th in save % in the NAHL this year at .916.

Walski, Aaron  BIS  34  1882:00  15  12  5  1  90(goals)    2.87    983(saves)    .916

He's 5-11, 185#.  So much too big to be a Sioux goalie.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OOHH I'm going to call Karl Goehring and he's going to be SO PISSED!! he'll kick that new goalie in his...uh...knees ;) (oh, guess your right)

Thought JPar was a big (and shaggy) as they get for a Sioux goalie

I believe that it is Craig Vardy.  About Walski, he is actually born and raised in Grand Forks but moved to Fargo either just before or during high school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Walski moved to Fargo as a bantam (before he attended North High).

• 1 month later...

I didn't see mention of it anywhere, but the Herald noted Walski's Sioux commitment on Friday:

--------------

Walski to join Sioux

Aaron Walski will join UND this fall as a walk-on. He'll be the third goalie behind junior Jordan Parise and sophomore Philippe Lamoureux.

Walski made a state tournament-record 73 saves for Fargo North in 2001 when the Spartans lost 2-1 in five overtimes to Grand Forks Red River in the state high school championship game.

He's played in the United States Hockey League and the North American Hockey League since graduating from high school.

--------------

Walski to join Sioux

Aaron Walski will join UND this fall as a walk-on. He'll be the third goalie behind junior Jordan Parise and sophomore Philippe Lamoureux.

Walski made a state tournament-record 73 saves for Fargo North in 2001 when the Spartans lost 2-1 in five overtimes to Grand Forks Red River in the state high school championship game.

He's played in the United States Hockey League and the North American Hockey League since graduating from high school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a good walk on/pick up for UND. Although his team didn't win the state championship the game could have easily been 8-1 if he hadn't played the way he did against Red River (I was sitting behind him most of that game, unbelievable goaltending). He probably won't get a lot of playing time, but if a UND goaltender gets bit by the injury bug I believe he'll be able to step up and play well for UND.

I like it.... when the best in ND play for the best in College Hockey ;)

I have caught & ate enough walleyes to now be ready for Hockey & Duck Hunting to get here :huh:

& the grass is getting too long to shoot Gophers :lol: