SiouxSports.com Forum

CHA

dakotadan

Whoever said that Air Force should move out of the CHA to us is not going to happen. This whole problem is created by AF moving conferences.

IF...the CHA disbands and the NCAA somehow forces teams on conferences, I'd like to see most just join atlantic.

IF...the WCHA has to take teams, I'd like to see BSU and Omaha (great for NCC schools). The CCHA could then add one of the CHA teams to stay at 12.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think that more of the non-BCS type urban commuter type schools would recognize that college hockey is a way to create their own niche in the local fan base. There was no way that UNO would have been able to establish a DI basketball following, like they have for hockey, if they had to compete with Creighton and UNL. As an example, it would seem a hockey fan in Kansas City would much more easily adopt a UMKC hockey team, rather than basketball fan adopting the UMKC basketball team, as there are so many more regional choices (Kansas, K State, Missouri) in basketball that can be seen regularly on TV. Although none of these will add DI hockey any time soon (if ever), here’s a listing of schools that should seriously consider adding DI hockey in my view (not all are commuter schools, however):

Moorhead State (department is too much of a mess)

Minot State (maybe five years or so after they move to DII)

Montana State-Billings (needs Minot State, or another more regional school0

St. Thomas (if they moved to DII)

South Dakota (and play in Sioux Falls)

Wisconsin-Green Bay

Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Illinois-Chicago (try it again)

Iowa State (close to Des Moines)

Missouri-St. Louis

UMKC

Wichita State

IUPUI

Wright State

Oakland (Mich.)

Grand Valley State

Toledo

Cleveland State

Syracuse

A true western league just for jollies:

Ariz, Ariz State, UNLV, N Ariz, Utah, Weber St, Colo St., Boise St, Wash, Portland St.

If MSU-Moorhead got a DI hockey team before NDSU, 2/3 of Fargo and the NDSU supporters would !@$! their pants and regret the DI move!!!!!! :D

But quite frankly, I don't see that happening (the NDSU Hockey thing). ;)

Quite frankly, I see the University of Minnesota, Crookston and Minot State University having DI hockey programs before NDSU ever does. If you ask me, they missed the boat by going DI-AA and will not have hockey for a couple decades. If they had just waited a few years on the DI thing, they could have added hockey and been just as happy and moved the rest with UND in a few years. :lol:

Moorhead State (department is too much of a mess)

Minot State (maybe five years or so after they move to DII)

Montana State-Billings (needs Minot State, or another more regional school0

St. Thomas (if they moved to DII)

South Dakota (and play in Sioux Falls)

Grand Valley State

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have thought about all of the schools you have mentioned. I have often wondered why USD hasn't taken a more closer look at it. With the 2 'SUs moving to DI, they are one of the few (besides Auggie is there any?) NCC schools without DI hockey. I understand that their athletic department is in tough shape right now as far as funding(title IX) but especially with SDSU moving DI I would think that they would take a closer look at atleast adding one or two DI sports (men's and women's hockey). Also Grand Valley is a strong DII school in the middle of all of these schools with DI hockey, you would think that they would take a close look at it.

P.S. I have had too much to drink tonight so I am going to bed!!!!

P.S.S. I still put my money on UM-C, to be followed by USD and/or GVSU.

I have thought about all of the schools you have mentioned. I have often wondered why USD hasn't taken a more closer look at it. With the 2 'SUs moving to DI, they are one of the few (besides Auggie is there any?) NCC schools without DI hockey. I understand that their athletic department is in tough shape right now as far as funding(title IX) but especially with SDSU moving DI I would think that they would take a closer look at atleast adding one or two DI sports (men's and women's hockey). Also Grand Valley is a strong DII school in the middle of all of these schools with DI hockey, you would think that they would take a close look at it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think that USD would have enough of a fan base for hockey. South Dakota is not as into hockey as ND and Minn.

Omaha does well, because it is a larger metro. I know that Vermillion isn't that far from Sioux Falls, but doesn't SF already have minor league hockey. That being said I think you are right with the money issues at USD it may be a while if they start hockey, if ever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You all know I would love to see GVSU to get our own hockey team. Right now the thing thats holding us back I think is the cost. It would be too expensive to get the Van Andel every other weekend. And the rinks down the road a bit from campus, the Georgetown Ice Center, isn't that roomy and frankly, I think they would benifit at lot by adding on a third ice sheet with a bowl seating for about 4,000 to 5,000. Then, you do have title IX in the works, which would mean we would probably have to add women's hockey as well, or some other women's sport perhaps. But still, given our location, we could do pretty well for ourselfs once we get a program going. We would have an instant rivalry set up with Ferris just up the road, and I'm sure we could get one easy with teams like Western Michigan, Michigan St., Michigan, Wayne St., and Notre Dame all within 3 hours drive of us.

A true western league just for jollies:

Ariz, Ariz State, UNLV, N Ariz, Utah, Weber St, Colo St., Boise St, Wash, Portland St.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Arizona and ASU?? who plays hockey out in the desert?? :D

I do think there are some schools out west that could very easily start up a hockey program no problem. Some of the more northern Pac 10 and Mountain West schools would be the more likely candidates. Washington, Wash. St., Oregon, Oregon St. Cal, Stanford, BYU, Utah, Colorado, Boise St., Sac St., and Montana would be the schools you would want to look at for new if the NCAA is looking to expand west more. I'm not saying that all of these schools could do right now, but some of them could have solid programs if they took the time to build one.

Colorado already has a few teams playing college hockey and some sort of a youth or HS player development leagues down there, along with some of those other states. You would really want to look at Cali thought to find more players at. Most populus state in the Union, and I know how you guys love to rant about eastern media bias, but Sports Illustrated did a survey a while back and more top althetes come out of California than anywhere else. With better ice equipment and rollarhockey leagues, there are going to be more and more of Cali kids playing puck. It could be an untapped recuiting goldmine.

Arizona and ASU?? who plays hockey out in the desert?? :D

I do think there are some schools out west that could very easily start up a hockey program no problem. Some of the more northern Pac 10 and Mountain West schools would be the more likely candidates. Washington, Wash. St., Oregon, Oregon St. Cal, Stanford, BYU, Utah, Colorado, Boise St., Sac St., and Montana would be the schools you would want to look at for new if the NCAA is looking to expand west more. I'm not saying that all of these schools could do right now, but some of them could have solid programs if they took the time to build one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually ASU has a very good club team. Same with Arizone if I'm not mistaken. Lots of fans go too. Sounds odd, but remember that many Minnesota kids go to those schools.

There was an article online a while back on Cal's club team. Can't remember if it was INCH or not.

There also was a DI in Arizona at one time, though I can't find it. It hasn't been around for quite some time.

While tooling around hockeydb.com, I also found out that, at one time, Tufts College and Gonzaga had DI hockey teams. Admittedly, they haven't been in existance since 1950, but still.

Gonzaga even provided the 1845 Calder Trophy winning goaltender of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Frank McCool.

I'm not saying we should go and knock on Gonzaga or Tufts doors and say "Hey, you should rejoin DI hockey" but it does bring thought.

There also was a DI in Arizona at one time, though I can't find it.  It hasn't been around for quite some time.

While tooling around hockeydb.com, I also found out that, at one time, Tufts College and Gonzaga had DI hockey teams.  Admittedly, they haven't been in existance since 1950, but still.

Gonzaga even provided the 1845 Calder Trophy winning goaltender of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Frank McCool.

I'm not saying we should go and knock on Gonzaga or Tufts doors and say "Hey, you should rejoin DI hockey" but it does bring thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Northern Arizona had a team at one time.

CHA offers incentives

I'm still supporting my theory of UM-Crookston stepping up to DI in the CHA. This would definately make the transition easier!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I kinda hope that the CHA does sweettalk Ferris into joining them. They're an established team, would do a lot to keep the CHA afloat. And if GVSU ever gets around to putting together a team, the CHA gets an instant rivalry by adding us. They might even start contating the AD here at GVSU about that very idea. ;)

Puck Swami on USCHO found the University I was looking for.  It was United States International University of San Diego, CA.  Beutow was their head coach (former UMinn player whose son plays goal for either MTU, Canisius, or Niagara can't remember)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

USIU actually beat the Sioux during the 86-87 season, and disbanded their program not much after that. They were in a short-lived conference with Northern Arizona and the Alaska schools.

USIU actually beat the Sioux during the 86-87 season, and disbanded their program not much after that.  They were in a short-lived conference with Northern Arizona and the Alaska schools.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was at that game, I think we beat them 10 or 11 to 1 the next night.

I would agree with the a lot of you Sioux fans that NDSU did miss the boat with Hockey. Going D1 is critical for the future of NDSU athletics but having a NDSU team besides football that could actually (theoritically) make a run in a national tourney is critical. If we ever make the big dance in Basketball we will surely be a 16 seed and you know how that goes. Hockey was the sport that we needed. Thankfully it is not a dead issue but we are a few years away from even contemplating Hockey. We need to find a conferance for all our sports,finish our fundraising and then look to Hockey. The University is getting ready to go public with a 75 million dollar capital campaign for campus improvement which includes the BSA renovation.

the vote downtown had nothing to do with Hockey. It flopped because it was a bad idea as it would have given the investors free reign to do what they wanted to downtown in that block. I am a huge Hockey propenent and voted no. It is a pain in the ass to go downtown now, imagine what it would be like if there was 7000 people down there at once. Insane!

Here is the scoop, if you want to find out if NDSU has hockey in their plans for the future wait and watch for the announcement of this capital campaign. They have two different plans to update the BSA. The first is to do it up right and create a bowl with permenant seating, some skylighting and brick exterior on the outside. However, if they do this then they will have to build another indoor track with a permanent infield turf for Football. coach Bohl has repeatedly said that this something he wants so we will see what happens. Now, if they go with the second option, the BSA would be similar to what it looks like today with upgraded pull out bleachers, lockerooms and offices. There is a tract of land just west of the Fargo Dome that has been reserved for a future arena, whether it be for Hockey or Basketball is still unknown. If they go for the first option, then you can bet your bottom dollar that Hockey is coming to NDSU in the future in (+-) ten years. if they go with the second option they are going to be planning on a new Basketball arena there. It all comes down to fundraising and what they can get. Any new arena would have to be something that is similar to the Dome where the City owns it and NDSU has priority.

Personally, I would rather see them save their pennies until they can do the BSA up right thus saving that land for a Hockey arena. It is completely ubsurd that we don't have D1 Hockey here in Fargo.

Take my scoop for what it is worth, but this the info I have.

Believe it or not, that was the only home game that season that I missed a part of. I had to work and got there about halfway through the game. In the interest of the team (as I know they must have been worrying about me, hence the performance), I was never late again.

Here's the answer as far as the CHA and possible members:

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=105717

That link will take you to links to USCHO where moose97, a media guy from Bemidji, has been chasing this subject down. What he's found is that there are far more questions than answers.

Any new arena would have to be something that is similar to the Dome where the City owns it and NDSU has priority.

April 2000* and May 2005** votes tell me that Fargo really doesn't have interest in building an arena and NDSU had better work on putting together their own facilities.

* "Fargo Arena", about 7000 seats, about $40 MM, multipurpose (BB and hockey), west side of Fargodome, 63% no vote.

** "Renaissance Center", about 7000 seats, about $40 MM, multipurpose (hockey and BB), downtown, 71% no vote.

April 2000* and May 2005** votes tell me that Fargo really doesn't have interest in building an arena and NDSU had better work on putting together their own facilities.

* "Fargo Arena", about 7000 seats, about $40 MM, multipurpose (BB and hockey), west side of Fargodome, 63% no vote.

** "Renaissance Center", about 7000 seats, about $40 MM, multipurpose (hockey and BB), downtown, 71% no vote.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The people have spoken, I thought the vote this year would be a little closer than 71% to 29%. Obviously the Renaissance Center was a little more than the city wanted or needed. I hope this doesn't detere the people that put a lot of work into these type of projects, I believe they are just trying to make Fargo a better city. As far as Divison 1 or USHL hockey in Fargo...the people have spoken.

• 2 weeks later...