SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Hockey Seats May Go

Lobo

What, you guys ain't clever enuff to sneak in a hip flask full of some high grade Russian Anti-Freeze in with you??  :lol:  I though you went to college to learn how to do stuff like this.  :silly:  :lol:  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like Fedorov said...we get searched...

Plus, there's cameras on the student section at all times, plus a couple security guards in each section....

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Fedorov said...we get searched...

Plus, there's cameras on the student section at all times, plus a couple security guards in each section....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How to get loaded in the student section during the game at the Ralph:

1) Getting the booze in the door: You will get searched, so it takes some craftiness. Observe the search patterns of the security folks, and commit the details to memory. Are there those that they search more lightly than others? If so... get them to carry the flask. Generally, when wearing a winter coat, you will never be asked to remove it, only to look in the inner pockets, etc. If this tends to be the search pattern, you've got the green light to carry the flask in the back of your pants, below the belt line. When they "pat you down" they usually tend to hit the front and side, generally searching for items in pockets. If you use this method, you'll have your coat protecting the goods. And unless you have a "happy hands" security guard, you'll get the booze in the door.

1A) Alternative to flask: If you just don't think the flask in the pants schtik is going to cut it, carry the booze in a gallon zip-lok container. I would not recommend using a whole gallon, but hey... it's your party. With the zip-lok, the container remains pliable, and will not produce any incriminating bulges when going through the search process. Also, when it comes time to mix the drink, you can easily discard the alcohol container and will not be forced to carry an incriminating flask with you all evening. Note: If you carry the zip-lok near your backside, be sure to remove it before sitting. Very important.

2) Getting the booze into drinking form: You've got the flask into the concourse, and now it's time to get it into acceptable drinking form. Go to one of the vendors and purchase a fountain soda. I don't prefer the 20 oz containers because of the small opening. Also, the clarity of the plastic container can be the rat that parts you and your student tickets for the rest of the season. Anyway, I would recommend getting the largest fountain pop you can. Usually, you can get some sort of collectors cup, which is opaque. This is perfect. Now, order your coke, and don't forget the lid! The lid is important to prevent spillage, and to block any alcoholic vapors from security personnel. Also be sure to purchase a small popcorn and a misc. candy for future use to be explained later. The next step requires a lookout. If you both are attempting this, you can take turns. It will be fun. Anyway, pour out the desired amount of coke at a nearby water fountain. Now, if the coast is still clear, quickly put the booze in the container and get the lid on. If there is high concourse traffic, and you have little kids waiting to use the water fountain, do not but the booze in the container just yet. All you need is one spoiled brat to narc you out to their rich mom and dad, and your season is over. Take it to a concourse side table, preferably one without glass. Set up with the popcorn and candy like you and a friend are having nice innocent conversation. When the coast is clear, pour it and cap it. In extremely high traffic times such as Wisc, UM, UMD, one may be forced to use a bathroom stall to make the mix.

Getting the mixed drink to your seats: If at all possible, avoid security at the bowl entrance. I know this is sometimes very hard to do, but the ushers and security often engage in chit-chat with one another. If you can catch them during this time, proceed immediately to your seats. Remember, never look them in the eye, and always be in the middle of a conversation with someone else. Human nature is not to interrupt. Also, remember that there is safety in numbers. If you can enter the bowl in a group of 10-20, you're that much better off. Remember, keep the lid on, (without a straw too) have other snacks, (so it looks like you came right from concessions) and be in the middle of conversation. If you get too nicey-nicey with the REA staff, they'll think something's up. Play it snotty, but play it cool.

Now that you've successfully got your booze into the arena, mixed yourself a drink, and arrived at your seat, enjoy your drink. Nothing says Old Time Hockey like a 50/50 mix 7&7. Or whatever your fancy. Enjoy.

*Disclaimer: This post is for entertainment value only. Airmail does not condone disregard for the rules and practices of the management and staff of Ralph Engelstad Arena. Airmail further does not condone consumption of alcohol by minors, even though he consumed a lot as a minor. Airmail also says if you try it and get busted, I will not be held responsible. You obviously weren't smart enough to pull it off, and dumb people shouldn't be killing more brain cells with alcohol anyway.

2) Getting the booze into drinking form: You've got the flask into the concourse, and now it's time to get it into acceptable drinking form.  Go to one of the vendors and purchase a fountain soda.  I don't prefer the 20 oz containers because of the small opening.  Also, the clarity of the plastic container can be the rat that parts you and your student tickets for the rest of the season.  Anyway, I would recommend getting the largest fountain pop you can.  Usually, you can get some sort of collectors cup, which is opaque.  This is perfect.  Now, order your coke, and don't forget the lid!  The lid is important to prevent spillage, and to block any alcoholic vapors from security personnel.  Also be sure to purchase a small popcorn and a misc. candy for future use to be explained later. The next step requires a lookout.  If you both are attempting this, you can take turns.  It will be fun.  Anyway, pour out the desired amount of coke at a nearby water fountain.  Now, if the coast is still clear, quickly put the booze in the container and get the lid on.  If there is high concourse traffic, and you have little kids waiting to use the water fountain, do not but the booze in the container just yet.  All you need is one spoiled brat to narc you out to their rich mom and dad, and your season is over.  Take it to a concourse side table, preferably one without glass.  Set up with the popcorn and candy like you and a friend are having nice innocent conversation.  When the coast is clear, pour it and cap it.  In extremely high traffic times such as Wisc, UM, UMD, one may be forced to use a bathroom stall to make the mix. 

*Disclaimer: This post is for entertainment value only.  Airmail does not condone disregard for the rules and practices of the management and staff of Ralph Engelstad Arena.  Airmail further does not condone consumption of alcohol by minors, even though he consumed a lot as a minor.  Airmail also says if you try it and get busted, I will not be held responsible.  You obviously weren't smart enough to pull it off, and dumb people shouldn't be killing more brain cells with alcohol anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like how you think, but why not simplify by bringing the soda you purchased into a bathroom stall regardless. Shut the door and mix it up; you have privacy as there are NO security cameras in the REA restrooms (for obvious reasons)!

Also, during winter, which takes care of most of the hockey season, loading, but not overloading, miniatures into gloves (choppers) works very well, at least it did in the day and at past FF's :silly: While holding both choppers in one hand, open your coat for security. The open coat creates the diversion and security won't likely consider squeezing your gloves.

btw, with your permission, I would like to adopt your disclaimer as it relates to this matter?!

I like how you think, but why not simplify by bringing the soda you purchased into a bathroom stall regardless.  Shut the door and mix it up; you have privacy as there are NO security cameras in the REA restrooms (for obvious reasons)!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like simple too... but I didn't want to be responsible for long lines of students holding fountain pop waiting for the crapper. BTW, Nice idea on the gloves... why didn't I think of that? :lol:

btw, with your permission, I would like to adopt your disclaimer as it relates to this matter?!

Permission granted. :silly:

Since this topic is not intended for use by the public and for entertainment only, the REA security or GF PD personnel who read and participate in SS.com won't be taking notes. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My good friend who works security at REA, is a GF PD sergeant and uses my extra ticket when not on duty is well-versed in the methods described above. The majority of officers that work the games do it because they enjoy Sioux hockey and get to watch for free while getting paid, they are not overly concerned with someone sneaking alcohol into a building that readily serves alcohol on every corner.

Like any good cop though, he picks his battles and if alcohol-related issues do arise, which obviously happens in places that serve alcohol, they are immediately addressed and resolved before the majority of fans discover that "something" took place.

I don't know what part of Fantasy Island Kupzilla has been living on, but as long as I have been attending Sioux Hockey games, the Student section has been the heart and soul of getting the players fired up! I totally agree with putting the SS behind the offensive goal. The atmosphere at the Ralph has been morgue-like for too long :silly:

To my knowledge, the two sections behind the opposing goaltender (2 of 3 periods anyhow) are the Diamond Club seating. These are BIG $$$ seats.

This isn't saying that the Diamond Club cannot be moved to our sections and still be big $$$ seats, but I am not so sure they will be willing to move.

I really don't see anyone standing up for the students now that Kupchella doesn't have anyone in the AD to stand up for us.

They don't need swearing. I think the "Let's Go Sioux" chant is very effective. There was nothing better than watching the Frozen Four on TV (well of course being their would have been better) and hearing the crowd loud and clear chanting "Let's Go Sioux" from the moment the puck dropped until the final buzzer.

To my knowledge, the two sections behind the opposing goaltender (2 of 3 periods anyhow) are the Diamond Club seating.  These are BIG $$$ seats.

This isn't saying that the Diamond Club cannot be moved to our sections and still be big $$$ seats, but I am not so sure they will be willing to move.

Then your knowledge is incorrect.

menshockeyseating.gif

The Diamond/Emerald/Director's Club seats are right across from the student sections.

Go here to see what the equivalent of student season ticket seats cost the general public.

I don't know what part of Fantasy Island Kupzilla has been living on, but as long as I have been attending Sioux Hockey games, the Student section has been the heart and soul of getting the players fired up!  I totally agree with putting the SS behind the offensive goal.  The atmosphere at the Ralph has been morgue-like for too long :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have a suite in the SW corner of the Ralph where the Sioux shoot twice, I personally would love to have the life of the Student Section in front of us. I think everyone agrees the games can get a little stale at times...the Student Section is a very valuable part of Sioux hockey and can lift the crowd & the players when they need it. I know most of the people at the Frozen Four were probably the more avid Sioux fans, but wouldn't it be great to get 11,000+ fans at the Ralph into the games like the couple thousand that were in Columbus did? It was great to see all the people...young & old... enjoying Sioux hockey as much as I do.

• 2 weeks later...
More cannonfodder for today:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/11518445.htm

Enjoy, and don't hurt yourselves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, here are my thoughts:

1. If you can get it, take it.

2. It's not going to happen. More lower bowl seats would be "rewarding" the students, not punishing. Kupchella has been looking to punish the students for a while now.

3. Let's say it does happen, you're not going to have season tickets below $100 anymore. The loss in revenue will be much more. Here's why:

A. The amount of money they'd get for two full sections at the lower deck price are greatly reduced to the point where they are hardly profitable if at all.

B. Where the band is greatly reduces seating period. Therefore, that's a total loss of money period since the band members don't pay admission at even the student rate. NO, I'm NOT advocating that they pay or that the band placement is even a bad deal. I think it is a GREAT idea. I just don't think they will go for it.

The fact that Phil Harmeson even listened to this was flat out amazing. It says he's acting AD. Never have I been more for the expedition of the hiring process.