SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Hockey Seats May Go

Lobo

On the front page of this mornings Dakota Student, there is an article about a letter that was written to a fan from President Kupchella. It can be viewed at the link below. The letter is about how student fans are still misbehaving. Some threats to the students include breaking up the student section and reseating the entire arena. In some sense throughout the article, it sounds like the President doesnt even want to have a student section. Something needs to be done to keep the students in the arena. It is the schools hockey team and wouldnt be here without the students.

There is no direct link to that article, but here is the Dakota Student link. The article is under "More Headlines" and under "Section:News" and is titled "A 'last resort' in the behavior battle."

http://www.dakotastudent.com/

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the DakStu's Op-Ed: Betraying students.

Featuring such observations as:

The letter is very unkind to the student body, and its negativity hints that Kupchella most likely wrote it with plenty of emotion. The problem is that he completely turns his back on one of his constituents - students - to please another - the general public - in this letter.

I could see a reseating as long as they put the students right behind the vistors bench or goalie. Otherwise, don't bother. I followed the Sioux on the road this year, and in most places the students are right behind the visting goalie. Sure I hate to see our goalie antagonized like that but I figure that is part of the game. I think the University has to tight of a rope on the student section as it is. Let em stand, holler, and scream as loud and long as they want. If the other season ticket holders don't like it, there are that many more on the waiting list who would be happy just to be there. Besides, I don't think Engelstad Arena is intimidating because of the regular season ticket holders. Like it was said "It is the schools hockey team and wouldnt be here without the students"!

Stand and Cheer proud for YOUR team!!!!

I would think everyone would get more pissed if they split the seating. If you seperate all the students, some will be by the old people..they will get pissed because the students are doing what they are suppose to be doing, "cheering." Some other students will sit by people with baby's and kids..and that will be the same kind of problem, "to loud." So i dont think it will help to split them up. Remeber, it is a college sports teams, the kids have a right to be rowdy and crazy!!! Keep on Cheering students!!:lol:

My favorite whine from the Op-Ed was this tidbit:

How can we change into a "classy, positive, fun-for-everyone" atmosphere that Kupchella desires when he writes letters to other fans that are negative, self-serving and polarizing.

As oppposed to the sense of entitlement certain student-fans exude at REA, and on this board with regard to their conduct, seating, etc.? Good thing the Stupid still stocks its editorial staff with the usual cadre of whining bed-wetters they did when I was on campus. I love "tradition". :lol:

Perhaps I am still young enough (47) to appreciate alittle rowdiness - lord knows I even partake in it at times - but I would be very dissapointed if this were to come to fruition. Why should he stoop to a few people's complaints as we are already becoming a nation ruled by a mojority of one.

Besides - not this is an excuse to misbehave - but he should take a look and the student section at the "john" sometime - that is an embarassment.

My favorite whine from the Op-Ed was this tidbit:

As oppposed to the sense of entitlement certain student-fans exude at REA, and on this board with regard to their conduct, seating, etc.? Good thing the Stupid still stocks its editorial staff with the usual cadre of whining bed-wetters they did when I was on campus. I love "tradition". :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting that the students got so much credit for the fan conduct in Columbus considering my section consisted of mostly alumni. And honestly, it was quite nice to not hear the "who's he...he sucks sh**" chant. You swear because you care? Gimme a break. That being said, I don't think the solution is splitting up the student section. A compromise must be found. Ditch swearing, but keep the students together. Is it that hard?

You know what I'd like to know? How the hell can students be so well behaved at football games and yet they are terrible individuals at hockey games. Oh wait, students have improved leaps and bounds. Students have done a helluva lot and made genuine efforts, yet some people still aren't happy. Meanwhile some other people just continue to bitch and bitch and bitch. Students are asked, then told what they have to do. Students tried toi work with other groups and were pretty much spit on and told to shut up. The problem isn't the students, the problem is whiney people who think they are entitled to whatever they want in life.

You don't have to agree with what I just said, but the problem is that many people dismiss it. Many students feel this way and when it is dismissed, nothing gets solved. Students, UND and the general public need to get together and figure this out. It can't be like the meetings the first year where people whined about the students, but then didn't even bother to show up. The general public and people who aren't happy with the students need to show up and something needs to be figured out. Until both sides get together, nothing will change. It's not that complicated to figure out.

They should also talk to the Alerus. You go to a football game and the students are absolutely crazy. There is very little swearing though with virtually no organized swearing cheers, maybe even none. Something must be different. Figure out what that is.

IMO the students should be at the end of the rink and should be entitled to stand the entire game if they so choose. Obviously the swearing and that stuff is not good but how are you going to stop it? Are they going to start kicking anyone who swears or shows bad sportsmanship out of the game?

Answer me this, is this problem really that bad? Does there really need to be a change? What do you guys think?

I'm a young guy, a UND alum and soon to be Grad student. I think they should put the student section behind the goalie on the end the SIOUX shoot twice. I believe this is done in many college hockey rinks already. This allows the students to stand the whole game and not get in the way of others. They/we can get as loud and rowdy as we want, and not piss anyone off by standing. This is just one man's opinion, but I actually think it is a good idea to move the students. I realize there is less seating on the ends, but could the upper bowls also be students?

I agree with PCM though, here we most definitely go again.

Obviously the swearing and that stuff is not good but how are you going to stop it?  Are they going to start kicking anyone who swears or shows bad sportsmanship out of the game? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um...yes? Having a ticket stub doesn't give you a license to say and do anything you want in an arena. Just ask some Pistons fan or that clown who was removed from Fenway Park last night.

Did the DS print the letter from the irate spectator that prompted Kupchella's response? I'd like to see what his or her complaints were, in order to have some context in which to consider the appropriateness of Kupchella's reply.

I didn't see any games up there to know what was so bad.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing the students MOVED to behind the goal if that would allow them to stand if they wished.

Abolishing the student section seems a very extreme approach and I find it hard to believe Kupchella would feel the need to resort to that. I hope not anyway.

Based on how season tickets were handled last year, I find it a bit difficult to believe there could be a whole lot of "coordinated" bad behavior led by some miscreants.

Good luck to all.

I think the Student Gov president better take a bit harder line than "I hope not", however.

Um...yes?  Having a ticket stub doesn't give you a license to say and do anything you want in an arena.  Just ask some Pistons fan or that clown who was removed from Fenway Park last night.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd have to say that yelling FU at a player isn't quite as bad as punching a player or throwing beer at them. :lol:

Abolishing the student section seems a very extreme approach and I find it hard to believe Kupchella would feel the need to resort to that.  I hope not anyway.

Crapchella will not abolish the student section...that would not happen. The players and coaches alone wouldn't let that happen.

However, I really do believe moving the section would be good for the atmosphere, less friction between students and non-students. Just imagine a sea of green behind the opposing goalie doing the sieve chant in unison...while standing the whole game if they so choose, put the band with them and you have an environment like Columbus or other bigtime road games.

I'd have to say that yelling FU at a player isn't quite as bad as punching a player or throwing beer at them. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course not. But I do believe that it's printed on every ticket and stated before every game over the PA that such behavior is grounds for removal from the arena.

For everyone who wants students behind the net the Sioux shoot at twice had better be ready for one helluva fight from the people currently holding those seats. Many of those fans requested those seats for that exact area to watch the Sioux offense twice. The students are just fine where they are and don't deserve to lose any seats. What does Kupchucka want everyone to do...sit on his hands like he and Adelle do and look clueless to about what is going on. Wasn't it great he could show his face in Columbus? :lol:

For everyone who wants students behind the net the Sioux shoot at twice had better be ready for one helluva fight from the people currently holding those seats.  Many of those fans requested those seats for that exact area to watch the Sioux offense twice.  The students are just fine where they are and don't deserve to lose any seats.  What does Kupchucka want everyone to do...sit on his hands like he and Adelle do and look clueless to about what is going on.  Wasn't it great he could show his face in Columbus? :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I imagine you would get a fight, but getting seats between the blue lines isn't such a bad trade in my book...the students currently argue they don't want to give up such "prime seats". The people with seats on the end would be getting a deal wouldn't they?