SiouxSports.com Forum

At the Beach in 2010?

ESPNInsider

Count me in for Miami in April.

The other non-traditional town rumored to be bidding is D.C. I struggle to think of a better non-traditional site: No shortage of things to do in the off-time, everyone's a transplant so full of college hockey fans, super-accessible from everywhere (particularly Boston corridor), 1200 UND grads in the metro area.

Who would be hosting the Miami one?  While fun, let us not forget the Anaheim disaster.  Though Florida is a lot closer than Cali.

Also, who's hosting the St. Louis FF in 2007 or 2008?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

St. Louis doesn't have a D1 hockey team. CHA and the Sawis Center are the 'hosts' for the F4 in 2007.

St. Louis doesn't have a D1 hockey team. CHA and the Sawis Center are the 'hosts' for the F4 in 2007.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know St. Louis doesn't have a team, that's why I was curious as to who was hosting. I figured it was the CHA or Omaha. :lol:

I think Miami would be just as good as Anaheim for the Frozen Four.

Nobody would show.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, after slogging thru a winter in North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, New York, or Massachusetts, who would want to go to Miami in April anyways? :lol:

Yea, after slogging thru a winter in North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, New York, or Massachusetts, who would want to go to Miami in April anyways? :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone have attendance figures for the FF in Anaheim? IIRC it wasn't very good and the weather is substantially warmer than MN, ND, MI, NY, and Mass.

San Antonio is also among the bidders. It's a great city, but the bid is being made by U. Texas-San Antonio, which has no connection to hockey that I am aware of. It would be interesting to see UND join in on their bid and assist in hosting, providing the hockey expertise. It would be great exposure for the school in the Lone Star state, and would help the credibility of the San Antonio bid. The creativity of the bid, much like UAAs Anaheim bid would likely bring in a lot of media exposure, which is never a bad thing.

Anaheim's attendance was not good, but if memory serves me right, 3 of the 4 schools couldn't have been on more opposite ends of the USA (BC, Maine, and UNH). I was worried about Columbus and even though tickets were easy to come by, it was still the 7th-highest attended Frozen Four. Not too shabby, Columbus!

I thought Anaheim was great. Everyone points to attendance being ONLY 14000, but I just don't buy being 15-20% empty as a definitive indicator of failure. Regionals at Mariucci and Boston are often that empty, let's see how a non-UND afternoon regional at REA does, and it was just a few years earlier that attendance was lower than that in the "traditional" championship venues (IIRC :lol: ) .

Anyway, here are all the bids USCHO found:

Auburn Hills, Mich

Boston

Columbus (Nationwide)

Detroit (Ford Field)

Minneapolis (Target Center)

Philadelphia

San Antonio

St Paul (Xcel)

Sunrise, Fl

Tampa, Fl

Washington, DC

Why would all of those big-time places/venues bid?

Don't they know "nobody cares about college hockey". ???:lol:

San Antonio is a nice town. They have some pubs on the Riverwalk. :D

Tampa would be fun. You could "off day" in Orlando.

Washington DC wouldn't be a bad "off day" either.

I thought Anaheim was great.  Everyone points to attendance being ONLY 14000, but I just don't buy being 15-20% empty as a definitive indicator of failure.  Regionals at Mariucci and Boston are often that empty, let's see how a non-UND afternoon regional at REA does, and it was just a few years earlier that attendance was lower than that in the "traditional" championship venues (IIRC ??? ) .

Anyway, here are all the bids USCHO found:

Auburn Hills, Mich

Boston

Columbus (Nationwide)

Detroit (Ford Field)

Minneapolis (Target Center)

Philadelphia

San Antonio

St Paul (Xcel)

Sunrise, Fl

Tampa, Fl

Washington, DC