SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughts On Next Year

dagies

Not that I want to put the wrap on this year yet. But there's something I want to comment on that I don't want to forget later.

Power Play

How about the #1 PP unit's play through the NCAA tournament? Sparky, Zajac, Stafford, Genoway and Fuher? This unit was very dangerous and capable.

We'll miss Genoway and Fuher but if we can find a couple of guys to fill those roles, SZS'l line really was impressive moving the puck, making opportunities and scoring. Hopefully we won't be losing any of those guys early.

With luck Murray will be back and healthy and probably will factor in on this unit too. Between Murray, Radke, Lee and maybe Chorney we should have a couple guys who can handle the puck on D and man the point on that first unit.

If they can find an effective second unit, that will make our PP a very strong weapon.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking forward to seeing some of the incoming freshman forwards especially Toews and Duncan. I realize Toews is real young but I expect him to have an immediate impact. Duncan really had a good year for Salmon Arm, I think he will be a fan favorite. He is small but skilled and plays bigger than his size from what I have heard. It should be interesting to see where Kozek and Watkins fit in as well. The cupboard certainly is not bare. D is my main concern because it is a lot easier to play forward as a freshman and contribute than it is defense. I never expected Radke would see this little playing time so he is basically a freshman again. He apparently did not show the coaches enough to play in meaningful games as we went with 5 D for the whole NCAA tourney. I do not know what to expect out of him next year. Hopefully he works hard over the summer to improve the areas of his game that need improvement.

I know that defense is our biggest question next year but in my opinion I wonder if it will hurt us to not have a grinder type of line like the Massen-Canady-Fabian line. This line in my opinion turned the whole team around as well as turned many games around but just coming out and putting on a great forecheck. I was wondering what you guys think because we will have talented forwards top to bottom next year. I see Prp-Kaip-maybe Fabian as being that type of line next year. Thoughts??

I know that defense is our biggest question next year but in my opinion I wonder if it will hurt us to not have a grinder type of line like the Massen-Canady-Fabian line.  This line in my opinion turned the whole team around as well as turned many games around but just coming out and putting on a great forecheck.  I was wondering what you guys think because we will have talented forwards top to bottom next year.  I see Prp-Kaip-maybe Fabian as being that type of line next year. Thoughts??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that a Porter-Fabian-Kaip grinder line would do nicely. Here's to hoping we see Kaip, Murray, and Bina back at 100%.

I think a line comprised of 3 of the 4 you name could be very effective (Kaip, Porter, Prpich, Fabian) as a Red Pepper line.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All during the Frozen Four, I kept hoping Thorne or Clement would mention the "Red Pepper" line. I wonder what the Tellmanns would've done to hear their restaurant name on national television?

I'm concerned about the youth and lack of experience on defense if Matt Greene were to leave. Smaby, Radke, more than likely no Bina, three freshmen, and two guys who played more forward than defense last year (Foyt, Marvin) isn't exactly awe inspiring. The freshmen had better come as advertised.

If Bina was healthy I think both PP units could run "traditional", with D and no forwards at the points. Radke would run one, Robbie the other. Now? You have to look at who can run a point and a power play. I'd guess Stafford. I wouldn't expect a freshman defenseman to have to take that on.

The other thing I just noticed:

Our forwards are very left-handed next year. Only Kaip, Zajac, Stafford, and freshman Miller are right shots, and Kaip's status is still up in the air. (On a related note, of the 2006 recruits Vandevelde is a left and Oshie a right.)

Kaip's status is still up in the air. (On a related note, of the 2006 recruits Vandevelde is a left and Oshie a right.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although I agree that his status is up in the air and there probably remains some medical uncertainty, word from one sioux hockey parent that I spent some time with in Columbus is that Kaip will play next season.

I posted this over on USCHO, but will post it here as well for those that don't check over there:

Fighting Sioux 05-06

Forwards coming back (8):

Zajac, Stafford*, Spirko, Murray, Porter, Fabian, Prpich, and Kaip.

Forwards coming in (5):

Toews, Kozek, Watkins, Miller, and Duncan.

Defense coming back (6):

Greene*, Bina*, Radke, Smaby*, Foyt, and Marvin.

Defense coming in (3):

Jones, Lee, and Chorney.

Goalies returning (2):

Lammy and Parise.

* = not sure if they will be back next year, or in Bina's case, not sure if he will be able to play next season.

Bina said that he has a doctor's appt in May to check his progress, but he hopes to be back on the ice by Sept. I'm guessing that Greene is gone for sure, not as sure about Stafford or Smaby. Smaby faces the same problem as Greene due to his size, but he doesn't seem to take as many dumb penalties. Stafford was on or off all season, I feel that he could come back and work on his consistency, but there is a decent chance he won't return, although I think he would really help out this team next season.

Concerns:

According to the numbers above.

The Sioux will have 12-13 forwards next season.

The Sioux will have 6-9 defensemen next season.

The Sioux will have 2 goalies next season.

They will need to add one more goalie to the roster, for at least the practices and to add depth. They will need to bring in one, maybe two, more forwards for depth reasons. They have both VandeVelde and Oshie that they could bring in early instead of sending them to the USHL for a year.

Defense is going to be an issue. Worst case scenario, if Smaby and Greene both leave, and if Bina can't play next season, that leaves 6 dmen on the roster. Three of those six will be freshmen. While they may all be highly touted freshmen, they are still freshmen. Of the remaining 3, neither Foyt or Marvin played much defense this season, most of the time they were playing forward. And Radke only played 28 games, and not much at all in the latter part of the season.

Yes, defense will definitely be a question mark for this team. Hopefully the return of Zajac and Spirko, including a healthy Murray, with the addition of some highly touted forwards will be able to score enough goals to offset the defensive lapses.

Go Sioux in 06!!

I posted this over on USCHO, but will post it here as well for those that don't check over there:

Fighting Sioux 05-06

Forwards coming back (8):

Zajac, Stafford*, Spirko, Murray, Porter, Fabian, Prpich, and Kaip.

Forwards coming in (5):

Toews, Kozek, Watkins, Miller, and Duncan.

Defense coming back (6):

Greene*, Bina*, Radke, Smaby*, Foyt, and Marvin.

Defense coming in (3):

Jones, Lee, and Chorney.

Goalies returning (2):

Lammy and Parise.

* = not sure if they will be back next year, or in Bina's case, not sure if he will be able to play next season.

Bina said that he has a doctor's appt in May to check his progress, but he hopes to be back on the ice by Sept. I'm guessing that Greene is gone for sure, not as sure about Stafford or Smaby. Smaby faces the same problem as Greene due to his size, but he doesn't seem to take as many dumb penalties. Stafford was on or off all season, I feel that he could come back and work on his consistency, but there is a decent chance he won't return, although I think he would really help out this team next season.

Concerns:

According to the numbers above.

The Sioux will have 12-13 forwards next season.

The Sioux will have 6-9 defensemen next season.

The Sioux will have 2 goalies next season.

They will need to add one more goalie to the roster, for at least the practices and to add depth. They will need to bring in one, maybe two, more forwards for depth reasons. They have both VandeVelde and Oshie that they could bring in early instead of sending them to the USHL for a year.

Defense is going to be an issue. Worst case scenario, if Smaby and Greene both leave, and if Bina can't play next season, that leaves 6 dmen on the roster. Three of those six will be freshmen. While they may all be highly touted freshmen, they are still freshmen. Of the remaining 3, neither Foyt or Marvin played much defense this season, most of the time they were playing forward. And Radke only played 28 games, and not much at all in the latter part of the season.

Yes, defense will definitely be a question mark for this team. Hopefully the return of Zajac and Spirko, including a healthy Murray, with the addition of some highly touted forwards will be able to score enough goals to offset the defensive lapses.

Go Sioux in 06!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just don't see Smaby and definitely not Stafford leaving. All this talk about Smaby is based on the quote from that Tampa GM. Time will tell but I see the only possible departure from this team is Greene. For some reason I feel like he will see the potential in next year's team and stay for one more kick at the can. I am going to remain optimistic that this will happen. I think he has put more of his heart and soul into this team than either Bo or Parise who I think we're obviously good players but were most concerned about their pro contracts rather than the Sioux.

I think you have to keep the line of Stafford-Zajac-Spirk together with the chemistry they showed.A line of Toews-Murray-Kozak.My lines for next year would be.

Stafford-Zajac-Spirko

Murray-Toews-Kozek

Prpich-Kaip-Fabian

Watkins-Duncan-Miller

Defense

Greene-Jones(still sounds good)

Lee-Chorney

Smaby-Radke or Bina

The second and last lines you list are both all lefties on the lines.

It's probably going to be hard for Hakstol to put together lines without having at least 2 lefties on most lines given the players that we have.

I am really interested to see how the incoming freshman forwards do next season, especially Duncan, Kozek, and Toews. All three are highly touted and should do very well at this level. And with Watkins' speed, he will be a valuable asset to the team, perhaps put him with Murray, Porter, or Spirko to have a line that just flies. ???

Hey Raynman, what about Porter? ???

Duncan is a centerman and is very, very small. Stafford will not go, because as a number one pick, he is going to need them to show him the money,and without a league, that probably won't happen. Greene as a second round pick would demand less money and is the only probable pro signee the Sioux have. Smaby will not go.

Toews is obviously the real deal and Hak just might go with:

Spirko, Zajac and Stafford

Murray, Duncan and Toews

I like the idea of Porter, Prpich and Fabian out there causing problems as a third line.

The fourth line would be a mix with Kaip, Kozek, Watkins and Miller vying for time and chances to move up to the big gun lines.

Up front we will be fine and if Greene stays we will be fine in back too. I see it like this:

Greene Lee

Smaby Radke

Bina ??? Chorney

Jones

Hey Raynman, what about Porter?  ???

Duncan is a centerman and is very, very small.  Stafford will not go, because as a number one pick, he is going to need them to show him the money,and without a league, that probably won't happen.  Greene as a second round pick would demand less money and is the only probable pro signee the Sioux have.  Smaby will not go. 

Toews is obviously the real deal and Hak just might go with:

Spirko, Zajac and Stafford

Murray, Duncan and Toews

I like the idea of Porter, Prpich and Fabian out there causing problems as a third line.

The fourth line would be a mix with Kaip, Kozek, Watkins and Miller vying for time and chances to move up to the big gun lines.

Up front we will be fine and if Greene stays we will be fine in back too.  I see it like this:

Greene  Lee

Smaby    Radke

Bina  ???      Chorney

Jones

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like Murray, Duncan, and Toews. Blazing speed along with Toews playmaking.

Why is everyone so confident Greene won't be back ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not convinced he'll leave either. With even next years NHL season in limbo, I doubt any rookie is going to get "an offer he can't refuse."

Besides... Mr. Greene is committed to his education first and foremost. ???

If everyone stays we will have an excellent chance to be in Milwaukee a place where the Sioux have shined before! Man, I am going to have serious hockey withdrawl. I was a hockey fan while I was in school there but have followed it even more since I graduated in 99. It is a great sport and has provided me with a lot of great entertainment. I know Duncan is small but I really think he is going to be a dynamic player, I doubt he would be on a line with Murray though as they probably do not want the two smallest guys on the team on the same line. I agree that Zajac Spirko and Stafford should remain the top line. IMO they were the best line in the frozen four and the ESPN announcers praised that line often. I think Porter is going to have a big year next year as well. If he could just improve his scoring touch a little he could get 15-20 goals next year. He is a great skater and plays physical. I will be most interested to see how Toews does, will he be able to make the adjustment to the WCHA, based on the press clipping I think he will.

Duncan is a center. I don't know if Toews plays center or wing, can someone answer that for me? Duncan's lack of size is fine, a team can do just fine with one small center. Two small centers can hurt a team.

How about this fora first unit PP:

Stafford (on point)

Zajac

Toews

Murray

Lee

Duncan is a center.  I don't know if Toews plays center or wing, can someone answer that for me?  Duncan's lack of size is fine, a team can do just fine with one small center.  Two small centers can hurt a team. 

How about this fora first unit PP:

Stafford (on point)

Zajac

Toews

Murray

Lee

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like that, although I don't think Drew is as good of a passer as Genoway I think he would do fine on the point. That would be a lot of talent out on the ice. Potentally four first rounders on the ice as Toews (when he is eligible) and Lee are likely to go in the first round if there is ever a draft. Drop the puck!!!

I really don't think we're going to be weak at forward. We're already faced with sitting some pretty good players if no one defects. If we want someone to fill in, maybe we should hope for a walk on that can be another Canady or Fabian type player.

We need to plan for Bina to be unavailable for next season, this means 1 to 2 more defensemen.

I really don't know who I'd go for either.

I wouldn't put it past Hakstol to have a goaltender walk on.

I really don't think a scholarship should be made available for any position other than defense due to the age of our team. Next season we will only have two seniors (Prpich and Greene if he stays).