SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Greene

ftnsiouxhockey

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt had grown up wanting to be a Michigan State Spartan because that is where his mom teaches and that's where his heart was. Most colleges knew that and didn't persue him because everyone assumed that he would end up there.  MSU had offered him a scholarship and Matt had accepted. He was going off to Green Bay to play a juniors and then in October of that year, MSU called and said they decided they were going in a different direction and he wasn't in their plans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, great story Rick. MSU's error was our gain and did they ever go in a different direction. ???

I have a class with Mr. Green and he was there today, hopefully this means that he is going to finish the schoolyear here and that strongly would suggest he will be sticking around one more year.

PS:genoway, fuhr, mcmahon, and schneider were not in class, wonder why???

I have a class with Mr. Green and he was there today, hopefully this means that he is going to finish the schoolyear here and that strongly would suggest he will be sticking around one more year.

PS:genoway, fuhr, mcmahon, and schneider were not in class, wonder why???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Genoway has a tryout with an AHL team. The others were probably making similar arrangements.

He left for Hardford yesterday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I realize about all of the senoirs being gone setting up arrangments with the AHL, my point was that mr. Green was in class and hopefully is a sign that he plans on sticking around for another year, if he wasnt going to be back there would be no reason for him to stick around or go to class since he wouldnt be graduating anyways.

Hopefully the fact that the Oilers are strapped financially as well as the lockout situation will keep him here. If not for the lockout situation he would be gone for sure, that is the only hope for Sioux fans. I think most fans realize how important this decision is to next year's team. IMO the chance at next year's National championship rests on this decision. You cannot have that young and inexperienced of a defense and expect to raise a banner. With Greene and Smaby some of that youth can be covered up somewhat. The forwards and goaltending will be national championship caliber, without Greene or Smaby the defenseman will not. I think we need them both back to have a good shot at the title.

Looks like even the smart player who were affected by the rule change understand it MAKES THEM A BETTER PLAYER.

Moderator's Note: Previous quote of article from Hockey's Future was removed because of this notation at the end of that article:

Copyright 2005 Hockey

Rick,

Thanks for the wonderful insight. It brings out some key considerations about the UND program other than just being on the ice. After reading the Hockey's Future article on Matt, it makes one think that having him back for a second year as captain would be a very positive factor in addition to his play.

Uncertainty over the 2005-06 NHL season, given the state of negotiations over a new collective bargaining agreement, has several collegians reluctant to forgo eligibility.

We have a nomination for "understatement of the year"! :silly:

Tidbit on Greene.  Mostly rehash but a couple of new comments.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmon...21/1006770.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think if an NHL deal gets done before the start of next year he will go. IMO the only way he stays is if the lockout is still on when the Sioux start camp. When it comes down to it I think it is going to be a situation similar to Bochenski's, where he signs shortly before the season starts. I do think the lockout will be settled toward the end of the summer.

Matty, I'd love to see you back in a Sioux uni next fall, but more than anything, I want you to do what's best for Matt Greene. Thank you for your three years with the Sioux. I really hope that what's best for Matt Greene is a fourth year at UND. If not, I wish you nothing but success.

Oilers 2004-05 prospect review from hockeysfuture.com.

Comments about Matt Greene:

The only US collegian guaranteed to be on his way is lightning-fast Jake Brenk who has now completed his tenure with Minnesota State and played out the remainder of the ECHL season in Greenville with the Grrrowl.

All the other collegian prospects the Oilers own the rights to would have to make the decision to leave school early to become pro following the footsteps of both Brock Radunske and Eddie Caron from a year ago. Matt Greene would be the leading candidate to do so but unless the NHL is back to work, there would appear little incentive for him to forego his final year and so the Oilers aren