SiouxSports.com Forum

Nice Season

#1siouxfan22

I am with you PCM, how can they not have an overhead view in the national championship game? You can't tell me that is not a goal. His glove touches the inside of the net. The only way that is not a goal is if it is a snow cone catch, in which case we would have been able to see the puck...

Overall tough luck, two goals basically off skate blades, and many Sioux chances, just barely tickling wide, or barely being stopped by Mannino.

But what can you do? Whether I like it or not Denver is a good team. Do I wish Denver would not get away with as much obstruction and stickwork as they do? Yes, but, evidently WCHA officiating or not, it is not going to be called. But , congratulations Denver.

Most of all,

Congratulations North Dakota, you guys make us all proud as fans of this team. It was tough at times this year, but in the end, you guys turned it around , and it was a hell of a run. In the end you guys showed the hockey world what the team in green is all about, bringing it on every shift, for 60 minutes; and at times you might be out talented, but you will never be out worked.

Thanks for a great ride.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you had told me that this would be the outcome of our season halfway through, I would have been very happy. My entire fraternity and a bunch of friends watched it at our fraternity house tonight. When the game ended everyone started clapping and we all talked about what a great season it was. Hey, we may have lost but at least we beat some great teams in the process and got to see our team play on national television multiple times!!!

I'm strangely ambivalent about the loss. I felt like I wanted to die in 2001, but this isn't really bothering me even though going into the game today my gut told me the Sioux would cap this season with a storybook ending. It didn't happen.

This game was very very close. It's always disappointing to lose, but here's my silver lining:

1. They won the most important game this weekend. :D:ohmy:

2. Back-to-back is apparently no big deal. The Sioux were an overtime bounce away from it in 2001 (I know, that doesn't count). MN takes 2002-03, and Denver comes right back and does it 2004-05.

This is so "cliche" that I almost puke saying it, but it still fits so well in this situation. This team is a championship team to me. The run at the end of the year was just as satisfying. Even without taking the title, I'm still as proud as if they had won.

Great job, Sioux.

Great job.

I, as well as all Sioux fans I am sure, are feeling somewhat down (or pissed off) that the Sioux didn't leave with #8.

However; I, as well as all Sioux fans (minus the bandwagoneers) are extremely proud of this team. Their character, class, drive, and skill are the best you'll find anywhere and they have done this program proud!!!

We can probably all find something negative to say about tonight's game (blown calls by the officials-hacking away at Spirko's jugular; waving off what should've been goal #2, etc.) but after it's all said and done, they won and we lost. IMO, goaltending (as many predicted) was what the game was hinging on. The Sioux played hard and furious and blasted over 40 shots at Mannino but he was hot tonight.

I still have a pit in my stomach but I can't help but be proud to be a Fighting Sioux fan. They are (and always will be) number one in my book. As I told my children before they went to bed after tonight's game, when they put on their Fighting Sioux jerseys for hockey practice, they are to wear them with pride knowing that the Sioux are the best!

Congraulations to the players, coaches and staff for a great season. Hold the head high with Sioux pride, there is nothing to be shameful off.

Congratulations to everyone on this board and every other true Sioux fan. We had a great ride this season and we look ahead to a great 2005-2006 run. Seems to me that the classiest fans are those that are Fighting Sioux fans.

With that all I can say otherwise is... DENVER SUCKS!!!

Go Fighting Sioux!!!!!!!

This is my first post under this name. I have been monitoring this site for quite some time, but much like my opinion regarding talk radio, I listen all the time, but don't think anybody really gives a rat's a$$ about what I have to say, so I never call in. Frankly, if anybody does care about my opinion here, I have a lot of pity for you. For some reason, I feel compelled to post my thoughts about this team, this run, this season. I would have a hard time believing back in October, anybody would have any thought of this team still playing hockey on April 9th 2005. With all the personnel losses and coaching changes and facility issues and, as the season progressed, injury issues, this team faced, they had no right to still be strapping it up tonight. The fact that they competed right up until the very end, and took it at the defending national champs as they did, is a testament to what we have for "weekend entertainment" from October through March....April? I hope anybody reading this post really understands how lucky we are to be witness to the things this program affords us!!

I hope anybody reading this post really understands how lucky we are to be witness to the things this program affords us!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was a great first post. Every time I walk into to Englestad Arena for a game, I remind myself how lucky I am to watch a team like the Sioux in a building like the Ralph.

The bounces didn't go their way tonight.  A couple of unfortunate goals on deflections.  Congrats on a great season!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. The first two DU goals appeared to have deflected off of Smaby's skate. I feel really bad for him, but nothing was worse than seeing Bina, forehead against the glass in the waning moments of the game. :ohmy:

G-D those guys wanted it so badly for him. I hope they don't tear themselves apart. They really did far better than what they were supposed to and I can say that I'm still the proudest I've ever been being a Sioux fan.

I really wanted to blame the refs. But really, why? They really only missed one call. And that call wouldn't have changed the game. The waved off goal was really not something that was worth arguing over. Sure, the glove was in the net, but where was the puck? That glove was slanted such that, if the puck were in the heel of the glove, it wouldn't have been across the goal line. It had to be waved off.

Just a ton of tough breaks. Everyone played so hard. So very hard.

One thing is certain from my perspective: I like our chances next year, even with UMN having Kessel.

Just wanted to say a few words on the end of the season...first of all, I dont think anyone can say that Sioux played bad. They played their game and they played well, sometimes you just have to get a few lucky bounces and it didnt happen tonight. Mannino played like a star and deserves his credit. I had a blast watching Sioux hockey this season and I will miss it. One last thought...I think it was pretty obvious that Barry Melrose, Bill Clement, Gary Pang, and Gary Thorne were all about UND... If they could, they would have been wearing green...Great season Sioux..

That was a great first post. Every time I walk into to Englestad Arena for a game, I remind myself how lucky I am to watch a team like the Sioux in a building like the Ralph.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're not wearing a pink striped tie are you?, and why do you all of a sudden have a cuddly puppy dog for an avatar? :ohmy:

Wondering the same thing!?!?! It was an awesome season. It is always hard to see your team loose a championship but this year was a little different, we were never expected to be there. I was in Albany in 2001, that was hard to watch, this year not so much. I was proud to watch our team play on ESPN. All I can say is wait till next year. Denver tying us for 7 NC's just means we need to get the next one to make sure they don't pull ahead of us. I call we pull ahead of them again.

On the bright side, the Gophers are still behind us in NCs!!!!!!!! To me that is all that matters!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. BOOOOOO DUmp! :ohmy:

P.S.S. Great season Sioux, this is why I am a Sioux fan!!!

I went to school at UND, and was always a supporter of hockey. But this year I became a hardcore hockey fan and that was because of this year's team. They have a lot of guts and they make me proud to be a North Dakota alum. Thanks for a great season, and I'll be at alot more games next year, cheering you on!

You're not wearing a pink striped tie are you?, and why do you all of a sudden have a cuddly puppy dog for an avatar?  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I own no pink ties, probably because I don't let my wife buy my clothes. :ohmy:

I decided to switch to my off-season avatar and give Hockey Mom some competition in the cute avatar department. ;)

Is that what it comes down to? Where we stand with the Gophers?

Who cares about the Gophers? I didn't want to win because it would put us up 3 on the Gophers. I wanted us to win because that would bring UND pride and honor. Nothing is relative to the Gophers.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!!

The Good: Great season guys, thanks for the wonderful memories. The heart, drive, and desire displayed by this team is an inspiration to us all. ;)

The Bad: No good bounces to bring home #8. Truly not a reflection on this team as the only thing between them and Denver were a few bounces and one heck of a game by Mannino. :D

The UGLY!!: No more Sioux hockey until fall. It will be a long summer. On the bright side, my Frozen Four tickets are already on order. :ohmy:

Frozen Four 2006 Go Sioux