SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 ND High School Hockey

August 1st has come and gone so time to fire up a new High School thread.

Is there anybody left in the state this year after Juniors and AAA and Canada ......and Warroad ..... has pilfered the boys and girls ranks?

Is this the year for a west team contend?  (Spoiler alert: No.)

Does a Fargo team push the GF's?

Tough to pick many more than the deeper teams this year as it seems to be a shallow pool throughout the state.

Pre-start of school picks:

East: Central.

West: It doesn't matter... but Minot has the most depth to build from.

On 8/5/2024 at 1:14 PM, gfhockey said:

Will minot have two hockey teams finally

Rumor on the street is the 2025-2026 school year.  Minot also loves their JR Gold hockey.  I've heard they have enough kids to field at least 2 JR Gold teams....and a lot of them avoid HS hockey all together.

Plenty of WDA kids taking advantage of other options (pending the tryout process) as SRs.

Mandan: Trinity Anderson heading to the MJ.

CHS: C Vig to the Bobcats.

Sabers: Beasley heading to the MN Wilderness.  Otto (G) headed to some AAA team in MI, the net was his for Faragher.

Minot: Morelli to the NAHL.  Haaland to Northstar.  

Can't fault any kids for leaving for a NAHL opportunity.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2024 at 12:40 PM, Johnny Five said:

Plenty of WDA kids taking advantage of other options (pending the tryout process) as SRs.

Sabers: Beasley heading to the MN Wilderness.  Otto (G) headed to some AAA team in MI, the net was his for Faragher.

In the EDC, West Fargo High School is losing their senior starting goaltender (Norton) to a team in Las Vegas I believe.  

Also, Grubb is at Shattuck’s and there’s another younger kid that went to Notre Dame (the Canada version). 

Back when I coached the Blue Jay girls between ‘09-‘13 I don’t recall girls leaving like they do now. I do remember one who played for South then went to Shattuck then to the Gophers. Hell of a player but can’t remember her name. The departures recently have really watered down the quality of play and I don’t see that changing anytime soon 

As an old WDA guy it pains me to see the rosters come out for the NDAHA preseason teams.  The 15O team has four kids from the West?  One kid from Minot, two from Bismarck, and a Valley City kid.....that lives 60 minutes from Fargo.

Probably not going to get much better down the line.  Part of me hopes that with the tryouts mainly being in the east side of the state the western kids don't want to travel for the tryout and multiple weekends in West Fargo or in Grand Forks.  

Try having an East & West division since the cities are so spread out.  Driving 60 minutes for games and practices is nothing plus its all rural xways with hardly any traffic. 

Try driving every other weekend from Chicago to Detroit to play in a AAA league which I did for quite a few years. With Canada so close I can't believe hardly any teams travel there to play games.

You have to go where the competition is.

If you want to be the best you have to play with and against the best.

On 8/22/2024 at 1:05 PM, NDSU grad said:

Also, Grubb is at Shattuck’s and there’s another younger kid that went to Notre Dame (the Canada version). 

Holt is going to Athol Murray in Wilcox SK.  Dad's from up that way - Oxbow.  He played on AA Minot Bantam team last season.  Not sure what team he will be on as they field several. AAA - AA - A midget (U18) and so on through U15.  And of course the Jr. A team.  They used to field a Jr. B team too many years ago but I don't think they do that anymore.  

NDHSAA poses the biggest problem for some of these kids that leave with transfer rules and ineligibility if it doesn't work and they decide to come back.  We've seen that all too often in ND High School hockey, both girls and boys.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Speez said:

Try having an East & West division since the cities are so spread out.  Driving 60 minutes for games and practices is nothing plus its all rural xways with hardly any traffic. 

Try driving every other weekend from Chicago to Detroit to play in a AAA league which I did for quite a few years. With Canada so close I can't believe hardly any teams travel there to play games.

You have to go where the competition is.

If you want to be the best you have to play with and against the best.

Say that to Britta Curl 

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

Say that to Britta Curl 

Never heard of her, but Google knows everything. What would she say? That she made it quicker than most because she was more talented.  There is always one that stands out in any sport. So you're comparing the quantity and competitiveness of men and women ice hockey.  I think there is a big difference and the road to moving up is quite different.

Britta is definitely an outlier.  You get better by playing better competition.  ND has good players but the range of ability varies greatly.

We live outside of Atlanta and my daughter play for the tier 1 Boys Jr Preds out of Nashville for years.  When we looked to transition her to girls hockey we didn't have a lot of options.  We have family in Bismarck so my wife and daughter moved in order to play high school hockey.  We quickly realized the level of play and getting recruited out of ND would be a challenge.  She is now boarding at a hockey academy outside of Boston.  Recruiting visibility and competition is great where she is now.  

1 hour ago, Speez said:

Never heard of her, but Google knows everything. What would she say? That she made it quicker than most because she was more talented.  There is always one that stands out in any sport. So you're comparing the quantity and competitiveness of men and women ice hockey.  I think there is a big difference and the road to moving up is quite different.

What? You live under a rock? 

5 hours ago, Clark17 said:

NDHSAA poses the biggest problem for some of these kids that leave with transfer rules and ineligibility if it doesn't work and they decide to come back.  We've seen that all too often in ND High School hockey, both girls and boys.    

There is currently a kid in the metro that played AAA and didn't make the team this off-season so he won't be going back.  If he decides to keep playing it's the JV team until January (gasp).

Rumor has it that he's probably done with hockey. 

2 hours ago, Speez said:

Just mentioned a player that has done very well and still is currently who graduated with her teammates she grew up playing with 

46 minutes ago, Speez said:

I sure don't live in Bismarck so why would I hear about her.

do I even need to respond?  This is the exactly the problem with this forum - people like you.  Can you stop both ways even?  You're a joke go away.