SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Vs. Bulldogs - Friday

dj_hoime

I saw the last 1/2 of the game on TV. I haven't seen a Sioux team look this good for a long time. O wait, I just read that we're not that good...

Someone taped a picture of Bochenski on Fabian's mirror. When he gets up in the morning, suddenly he thinks he's a goal scorer. I only read about his nifty goal last week, but his first goal tonite was a goal scorer's goal.

Fabian has the puck behind the net and has a Dman draped on him. He gives the guy a little "how's she goin'" and flies out the other side free as a bird. He turns out about the faceoff dots to cross the goal, he picks up a nice pick from a linemate, and scoots across the front of the goal all alone. Right before he gets picked up he rifles a poor angle shot high blocker over Johnson's shoulder. Picked a small piece of net and ripped it home. Beautiful.

His next goal came on hard work by his linemates, and Zajac tried to put the puck past the goalie at the side of the goal. The puck was sitting in the crease and Fabian just picked it and slid it over past the goalie into the open corner of the net.

Sioux dominated. They seemed to lay back a little in the 3rd so the play was a bit more even at times. Either that or the Dogs turned up the heat. But when I got there, for the last half of the second period the puck barely left the Dog zone. Massen, Fabian and whoever was out there with them were a force to be reckonned with.

It got to the point that on the 8th goal scored by Genoway I think the Duluth goalies were just shell shocked. Genoway was fed a pass off a turnover at the Duluth blue line (Fabian?) and broke in alone. Deked a couple directions and the goalie went flat on his face, as if he could watch no more. Genoway just chipped a backhander up over him for an easy goal.

Massen had a beautiful feed on the 7th goal. He broke in from the half-boards in front of the goal, occupying 2 Dogs. As he reached the faceoff dot he dropped a nifty pass to the side and behind him to a wide open McMahon. McMahon caught the pass at the goal line on his back hand, drew it out front of the sprawling goalie and snuck it past near the far post. These guys all looked like goal scorers tonite.

I will agree with Runnin' that the Dogs must not have played very well. When you have teams that appear to be fairly even throughout the year, and suddenly it looks SO easy for one team, it must be more than that one team playing out of their minds.

WOW.

I was actually kind of happy Duluth scored again late in the game. As easy as it was coming there for a while, I think it was a good wakeup that it won't just come to them. After Duluth scored their second goal they dang near got another within seconds.

Duluth also worked the PP to perfection on their last goal. That was a sweet play. Basically looked like Zoro drew a Z down the Sioux zone and suddenly the puck was behind Parise.

Did someone mention that Canady was hurt? That would not be good right now. The 3 horsemen accounted for 1/4 of the Sioux scoring tonite. The Sioux scored 8 goals and were awarded a total of 22 points. Fabian/Canady/Massen accounted for 4 goals and 6 total points. Fabian had a 2-1-3 line, Massen a 0-2-2, and Canady a 0-1-1.

BDB, Massen looked good to me last Friday against SCSU, and I can only assume that line continued to play very well on Saturday as they contributed to the win that night. On Friday he did have one mistake in the Sioux zone that cost a goal, if I remember correctly, but otherwise he played well, and was very physical. So IMO his strong play has now carried over for at least a few games straight. Go James!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back after watching what might be the best performance of the year by the Sioux. First and second periods for sure; I don't know if they pulled back a little in the third, or if Sandelin finally got the Dogs' attention.

The easy stars to pick out of the game are Fabian, Genoway and Bina. All three were like gods on the ice tonight. Watching Colby direct traffic before a faceoff in the Sioux zone is fun: he tells his boys where to be and the puck ends up on their stick. I'm really happy to see Fabian have such a great game. He's a big strong kid...maybe not the best skater on the team, but he was out there grinding every shift tonight. He really works hard in the corners. And Robbie Bina! he gives up a half a foot to everyone out there and he's absolutely a stud. So strong with the puck, and fearless. Oh, and Genoway's goals were both Sportscenter moments: I honestly don't know how the first one found the twine. He seemed to be too deep and too wide to find net; the second one was a Tim Hennesy "how's she going".

Other guys who I thought looked really good: Zajac is so smooth, and showed tonight he really knows how to back check. He saved a goal by scooping a puck that was loose behind Jordan tonight. He blocked a couple shots. He and Stafford were zooming all night. Rory McMahon skated well all night, as evidenced on the score sheet.

Stafford had a pretty good night even though he didn't make the scoreboard. He snapped a stick in the slot that would've been a goal.

Virg Foss' Horsemen proved him prophetic tonight. They certainly didn't look like a fourth line.

Greene was quiet; Fuher steady; Smaby a quiet but effective game. Andy Schneider had a huge smile on his face all night long, and didn't take any crap from anyone. He did a great job all night in the Sioux zone, poking and sweeping pucks away from the Dogs. He came out of a little scrum behind the net with a big sh*t-eating grin on his face; you could tell he was having fun. Matt Jones' goal was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. He was carrying a Dog draped all over him, Shepherd had his arm up to call the hold or whatever, and Reichmuth comes out to poke check the puck away from Jonesy. Only problem, he poked it right back at Jones, and I don't know if Matt actually directed it in the net or if it was just a lucky bounce. Reichmuth didn't come out of the net at the end of the first until everyone else from both teams was already down the tunnel.

Speaking of our boy Derek: he didn't really call too bad a game. He let the boys play. I thought Greene's penalty was a little ticky-tack. And one of the trips, I think it was Stafford, was really a weak call. Other than that the refs weren't really a factor.

Brady Murray was like a bee buzzing around out there. He set up Stafford when Drew's stick broke. The pass he made to Zajac was unbelievable. Big difference having Brady back on the ice.

Weak spots were maybe the penalty kill. The Sioux seemed to be running around a little bit while down a man. And there was about a three minute span early in the third where the Dogs really had the Sioux befuddled. But it would be hard to pick out any glaring deficiencies on the ice tonight.

The Sioux really looked as good tonight as I've seen in a long, long time. It was very much like watching them on that run they put on last year where they seemed to be able to score at will. I don't think they missed a pass in the first 30 minutes of the game. If they can come out Saturday with the same jump...well, this could be one of those "goose-bumpy" runs all teams dream about.

Gotta show some killer instinct Saturday, and then go on the Minneapolis and beat the snot out of whoever comes next. Tonight they looked damn good.

sounds like a great game..will be able to watch sat so i am pumped. sounds like runninwiththedogs really took this game well :D funny statements...lets finish this sat night. where the hell did the 8 goals come from, maybe they have been saving them... :D jordans given up 7 goals in the last 5 games..not bad!!

sioux give up 1st powerplay goal in the last 29 atempts..great stat..both goals ended up being PP goals for duluth..

DIGGLER....any reaction from duluth players sitting next to the penalty box?

Okay. Many Killian's Irish Red downed by this 'Dogs fan.

At least you have good taste in beer. :Ddrink_beer.gif

But, I must warn you. You are not that good.

And your team got beat 8-2 by a team that's "not that good." bigeyeroll.gif

I agree that UMD isn't as bad as the final score indicates. The one thing the Sioux did Friday night that they haven't done all season was bury their scoring opportunities. If they can continue to do that, they'll be a difficult team to beat in the playoffs.

But, I must warn you. You are not that good. And JPar wasn't that good.

T Notre Dame

L-T Vermont

L-L UAA

L Brown

L SCSU

T-L UAA

L SCSU

L-L MTU

Somehow a WCHA opponent scoring in double figures shouldn't be surprising. Maybe the Dogs only play well against the top 4.

WOOOOOOOOO! Let's go 'Dogs! Ain't over til the fat lady with thick glasses sings!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PCM-recap has tonight's game at 7:07, rather than the correct 7:37PM start.

After watching the Mazoco/Woog pregame predictions that in playoff hockey goals are much harder to come by, and the games will be low scoring/closely contested contests, the winners put up 8-8-7-7-5.

DIGGLER....any reaction from duluth players sitting next to the penalty box?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got McKnight to say something, but I couldn't quite hear it. Then when I yelled at him to pay attention to the game, he listened. I guess that was a mistake. :D

PCM-recap has tonight's game at 7:07, rather than the correct 7:37PM start.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. A correction has been sent to USCHO. I misread the information in the Herald. Looks like I need a new pair of thick glasses. :D

The Jones goal reminded me a bit of the gold-medal winning goal for Team USA at the 2004 World Juniors, goalie clears it off an attacker and bounces in.....

IMO, last night was a case of UMD playing poorly even more so than the Sioux playing well. I'd like to wish I was wrong in that regard.

Also, I enjoyed seeing Fabian and Massen getting double-shifted on the last Sioux powerplay. Bina and Smaby got some time on it too ... (Who'da thunk it?) Sportsmanlike gesture by Hak.

I've seen the Dogs play nearly unbeatable hockey at times this year, and then like they did last night. Question is who shows up tonight.

The Dogs body language last night told the story they came out flat from the start and prety much bagged the game after the 4th goal. I think if UND can come out flying tonight and gets a few quick goals it could be over. I hope UND pounds the smaller dogs hard tonight, like they did last night. UND is 7-1 in their last eight games against the Dogs.

If I was Sandy I would be shaking my head, which sieve does he put in the net tonight? Neither goaltender is playing very well right now.

If I was Sandy I would be shaking my head, which sieve does he put in the net tonight? Neither goaltender is playing very well right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sandy was shaking his head after the game. He said he would start Reichmuth again tonight.

Sandy was shaking his head after the game. He said he would start Reichmuth again tonight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Arena Reporter for that good scoop. Anyone know what his record against UND is? I know we have lit him up a few times, but I also know he stoned us a few years back in the WCHA final five.

Anyone know what his record against UND is? I know we have lit him up a few times, but I also know he stoned us a few years back in the WCHA final five.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UND is 13-5-1 against UMD since Sandelin took over as head coach.

Edited by PCM

As excited as I am about last night, I have to temper it a bit by the way the Sioux have come out after nice wins most of this year. Last night's win was not average however. They had the killer instinct we all have been looking for. Hopefully, they will come out with that tonight and don't give the Dog's a sniff, because Dog's like to sniff, just not area's that Duluth fan's would be proud of. (On second thought, maybe they would). They need to get past that initial Duluth desperation tonight, and the bad even-up officiating we know is due from Sheppard and they can get it done. I hope Hakstol is instilling in them how critical it is to get the job done tonight, not only for the sake of not leaving it to a one-game shot, but no team having played that play-in game has won the WCHA Final Five, having to play a Sunday game on top of winning 3 games next week to achieve that would be quite a task! Go Sioux!

Last night I could here viks announcer Paul Allen screaming into the mike saying

Fabian scores, Dave Hakstol turns to the crowd and says"What do you think of my fourth line now." LOL Only PA and Dubay listeners will under stand that.

to answer questions last night when Canady went out Zajac played with the fourth line a couple times. Tonight we must put the pressure on Prpich, Fylling and Porter.

Bringdeanback Stick to FAGSONICE or Gopher dead or alive or what ever that dumb websit is.

Goaltending and special teams wins big games and last nigh Duluth didnt have goaltending.

I love the Seniors this team will only go a far as they carry them. Gritty performance by Colby and Rory.

Last night I could here viks announcer Paul Allen screaming into the mike saying

Fabian scores, Dave Hakstol turns to the crowd and says"What do you think of my fourth line now."  LOL  Only  PA and Dubay listeners will under stand that. 

to answer questions last night when Canady went out Zajac played with the fourth line a couple times.  Tonight we must put the pressure on Prpich, Fylling and Porter.

Bringdeanback    Stick to FAGSONICE or Gopher dead or alive or what ever that dumb websit is. 

Goaltending and special teams wins big games and last nigh Duluth didnt have goaltending. 

I love the Seniors this team will only go a far as they carry them.  Gritty performance by Colby and Rory.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice, any other personal prejudices, phobias, or bias that you want to get out in the open?

I have said, Massen had a nice game (and looking back he does have a three game point streak) and have also said that I like Fabian because he can make plays, but the seniors will need to continue this run all the way to the National Tourney for me to think of their careers as anything but underachieving.

I was there & it was the best 1st period of Hockey I have seen in many years - actually the score could have been 6 -0 in the 1st with some of the great shots the sioux had

If this is something they can get consistant at--- they are HOT HOT HOT

sounds like a great game..will be able to watch sat so i am pumped. sounds like runninwiththedogs really took this game well :D  funny statements...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm shell-shocked, like the whole 'Dogs bench is...

BUT I would like to say how awesome the Sioux fans were that I met last night. Usually when your team gets blown out like that, some a$$holes decide to taunt you like it was your own personal fault. That didn't happen last night at all.

At least you have good taste in beer. :Ddrink_beer.gif

And your team got beat 8-2 by a team that's "not that good." bigeyeroll.gif

I agree that UMD isn't as bad as the final score indicates. The one thing the Sioux did Friday night that they haven't done all season was bury their scoring opportunities. If they can continue to do that, they'll be a difficult team to beat in the playoffs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes, Killian's is my beer of choice, but I had too much of it. Spilled on my jersey.

And yes, we got beat by a team that's not "that good" as I said. But like I commented before, OUTSTANDING defense kept the 'Dogs away from the net most of the night. I guess the "not that good" warning should be more directed at the team, so they don't get cocky and blow this thing, as I can see some fans are concerned about.

Uh yeah, I hope you're not referring to me. Cause I'm not fat, nor are my glasses thick.

IMO, last night was a case of UMD playing poorly even more so than the Sioux playing well.  I'd like to wish I was wrong in that regard.

I've seen the Dogs play nearly unbeatable hockey at times this year, and then like they did last night.  Question is who shows up tonight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who knows? It's been very stressful for me this season. I mean, I'm not surprised the Sioux can put up numbers like that. I'm more surprised that they haven't done it more. But the 'Dogs, when they are on their game, would have made this the tight game everyone was expecting.

The key to this series is the UND big defense and the little forwards that UMD has. Actually man for man UND is much bigger. UND has used its size the last 8 games against UMD to take it to them. I would suppose coach Hak will want to run a game plan of more of the same. UND will not take UMD for granted tonight.

The key to this series is the UND big defense and the little forwards that UMD has. Actually man for man UND is much bigger. UND has used its size the last 8 games against UMD to take it to them. I would suppose coach Hak will want to run a game plan of more of the same. UND will not take UMD for granted tonight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think UND will win tonight because the WCHA wants them to. :0:D:D