SiouxSports.com Forum

2005 North Dakota State Hockey Tournament

Wilbur

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South is going to be split into two districts in about 5 years.  Plus many southside kids are going into Shanley's program.  I see South's talent pool being diluted in the next couple of years.  Although I don't think they will ever regress to where they were before the mid 90's.  Fargo North is in serious trouble.  This years senior class is it down to pee-wees.  Every other north-side team is average at best.  I see a coaching change (a very long overdue one) next season. 

Fargo parents are slowly killing hockey with all of the different teams.  The Flyers appear to have their act together to a point, but this is likely do to the huge numbers they have. 

With WF growing they are poised to start a very good program.  All they need is some organization and a good HS coach who gets involved with the youth program.  Shanley appears to be doing this already. 

The Central-Minot score is suprising - it appears Wilbur made a good prediction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jloos, North had a good senior class but you need to look a bit closer at the team's productivity before you claim, "This year's senior class is it down to pee-wees" The top point getters for north included a junior and a sophomore and that entire line (including another junior) is returning along with their goalie. Yeah, the pipeline is bad at Fargo North but don't judge it as totally empty when in fact it is not. The problem will be filling out a second and third line and getting the defense up to speed. I agree with you that West Fargo could be a force to deal with in the next few years - they just need good leadership in the developmental pipeline as they have the money. Shanley will hurt South a bit and also North. Youth hockey in my mind is a bit of a joke in Fargo - it has been fragmented again and again with splinter programs - Patriots, Angels, Grizzlies, etc, etc. Grand Forks has had some problems but they have many parents who know the game, played high school and D-I and are positive forces in the developmental process. Moorhead has a similiar situation with generally strong hockey-oriented leadership. Youth hockey "leadership" in Fargo has been problematic for a long time.

Marto reminds me of Paul Martin when he was at Elk River. Same build, same smooth skating defenseman who can really lead the transition to offense coming out of the defensive zone. He could very easily become an every day NHL defenseman. Mr Hockey here it comes. I don't want to see him in Maroon and Gold next year!!!

The big W is all that really matters regardless of scoring margin, shots on goal etc. I played on a very good Red River team that should have won state but got beat in the semi-final game and you know how many people remember that team? About 20 fat, balding guys who to this day think of shoulda coulda woulda. It is all about the W and that is the bottom line.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Marto reminds me of Paul Martin when he was at Elk River.  Same build, same smooth skating defenseman who can really lead the transition to offense coming out of the defensive zone.  He could very easily become an every day NHL defenseman.  Mr Hockey here it comes.  I don't want to see him in Maroon and Gold next year!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know I'll get ripped by the GFC posters on this board but comparing Marto to an Div. 1 All-American, NHL and world cup player is a big strech. I've only seen Central play twice, both against South and I can honestly say that I don't know Marto's number. If he is as good as everyone says he should stand out more througout a game. The only Central player that stood out to my was the small, quick forward (23?). Perhaps Marto realizes that he has to play a more stay at home roll against good South offence, and that is why he hasn't stood out in the couple of games I saw.

BTW, great win by central!! Just shows how close the teams from the east are this year. What a great weekend for ND hockey. State Semifinals Friday. Sioux -v- BADgers in the afternoon state championship game at night on Saturday. Championship of Flyer Squirt Tournament sunday afternoon. :silly::D:D

I'm comparing Marto to Martin when Paul was at Elk River. He obviously developed significantly in the three years he played at MN. Marto has been down to Minneapolis on an "unofficial" visit. I think Lucia sees the same things I do.

Western ND hockey will never equal the east. GF has an elite DI program and the best facilities in the nation. It has a rich tradition. It is 2.5 hours to Winnipeg. It is 2 hours to Roseau, 2.5 hours to Warroad and 1 .2 hours to Moorhead. Proximity to the best competition and hockey schools and programs make it superior.

can a team pack it in any faster tahn minot did today? probably not. even with a 2 goal lead that they werent able to hold in the first period, the looked just terrible. how can a team come in as the #1 seed and be as crappy as they were? PS-I wonder how many minot kids had to change breezers between the 2nd and 3rd periods?

He everyone out there, first i'd like to say Cetral looked great today. I was at the game and they played with pure heart and passion. A great win. Minot looked good early then got lazy and their goalie did not have one of his best games, however most of GFC's goals were very skillfull and nice.

here is a great website that had up to date STATE HOCKEY RESULTS AND LIVE NOTES ON THE ACTION

http://WWW.rinkwriter.com dont know if it will show up as a link but type it in ur address bar... My Webpage

Once again, Minot breaks my heart....but then I'd been saying they would break my heart all week long, so I guess I expected it....:silly:

Anybody want to give me a quick recap of the game please??  Thank you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can go under www.ralphengelstadarena.com and find the complete game sheet. It will give you a complete game summary.

can a team pack it in any faster tahn minot did today? probably not.  even with a 2 goal lead that they werent able to hold in the first period, the looked just terrible.  how can a team come in as the #1 seed and be as crappy as they were? PS-I wonder how many minot kids had to change breezers between the 2nd and 3rd periods?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basically Minot blows. They were a bunch of hot heads who didnt know what to do when they played a team that had more than one line that can skate forwards and backwards and stop both ways. Also, real smart of them to keep getting dumb penalties down by 4 goals, shows a lot of discipline.

All-GF final? Oh geez, and people think I'm stuck in the '80s. :silly:

Central is going to have their lunch handed to them by Minot in the 1st round, and Red River is going to be taken out by South in the semis. South is going to win it all, over either Minot or Grafton-PR. The loser between Minot and Grafton-PR will beat Red River in the 3rd place game. Central will take 5th.

PS - The arrogant and full of themselves teams are from GF.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Care to adjust your predictions Mr Nostradamus?

Agreed on Marto. I just hope Coach Hakstol has been paying attention the last few weeks. Two of Marto's goals in the past few weeks have been incredible. But that isn't necessarily what impresses me the most. He makes the simple play most of the time, then when he sees an opening he is gone in a flash. He is a great skater. He also makes nice outlet passes and steps around, rather than shooting right into a defender on a powerplay. Sounds to me like things the Sioux need in their lineup after a year or two of juniors. When Tarek Howard vouches for him by saying he is the best player he has coached (with Panzer and Arneson in that group) I would hope that they are seriously considering him, because I don't think people will cut much slack if they miss out on another local kid by being passive in their recruiting. I have a feeling that someone is going to give him an offer if he plays a year or two of juniors, because the skill is there, he just needs to put on some weight and muscle, especially since his upside is even greater when you consider he hasn't played summer hockey and missed a bit of each of his sophomore and junior seasons at Central. I just hope the Sioux don't miss the boat on him.

That is exactly why I wouldn't be at all surprised if South establishes itself as at least an equal to the GF schools if not superior to them within the next 5 to 10 years. Because of the number of kids coming up through the Flyers program they are at a significant advantage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dave,

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. When the kids in the Flyers and other Fargo programs start to play a bit more 'unorganized' hockey they'll start to compete at the same level for longer. The three to four hockey practices plus a game(s) per week just isn't taking anyone to the show. If the Fargo Park District doesn't want to be involved in youth hockey that's fine, but start to resurface the outdoor rinks more than once a week.

I will agree with the quantity reference to some degree. The only thing wrong with that is that is the youth programs stance on competition. Where are the kids in Fargo going to play if they can't make the elite teams at the squirt/pee wee level? Quantity has to raise the bar not just fill it.

Fargo is a FOOTBALL TOWN. Maybe in 10-15 years the buzz of hockey right now in Fargo will translate, but the feeder system for Fargo hasn't been good enough to support your short term window of domination. Danny Irmen, Moorhead's success and the Sioux program of late have definitely defined some dreams for kids so time will tell. People in Fargo look at me like I'm from Mars when I suggest we should have some practices outside, that the kids should all get more ICE TIME together without parents and coaches, OUTSIDE. This is the major difference between GF and Fargo.

The Flyers have elevated awareness for hockey in Fargo but at the same time, the raiders and patriots have been ostracized as 'lesser' groups.

We got ice time, yes we do. We got new equipment, how bout you? Growing up, Central and RR had these same issues but the town embraced them, not factions.

The frame of mind of a lot of the parents is elitest. May we remind them that hockey should be and has until recently been a blue collar sport. Moorhead, Grand Forks, Warroad, Roseau... These are the communities that embrace hockey and take it to the 'FANATIC' zone.

Thanks for listening. :silly:

I just figure an hour to fargo and a little time to cross the river.

On Marto, I don't believe he needs junior hockey to prepare him for the college game. He is such a nice player already. Junior is great for a lot of kids, especially those who haven't had any scholarship offers yet. Marto has been scouted extensively already. I heard through the grapevine that MN is number one ona short list for him right now.