SiouxSports.com Forum

2005 North Dakota State Hockey Tournament

Wilbur

This upcoming weekend is the one I look forward to every year. Although my hometown team of Minot always finds a way to lose, I just love watching high school hockey, and the atmosphere that it brings.

Predictions?? Interesting Facts??? Lets talk puck!

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This upcoming weekend is the one I look forward to every year.  Although my hometown team of Minot always finds a way to lose, I just love watching high school hockey, and the atmosphere that it brings. 

Predictions??  Interesting Facts???  Lets talk puck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it'll be South and GPR in championship with South winning 3-1. GPR has been playing great and i think they'll beat Minot in the semis.

I personally believe that Minot is headed for another first round disaster. I'd love to see them win, but they never play well on Thursday in the state tournament... ???

I'll predict a Fargo South-GPR championship as well, with Fargo South able to hold onto the lead this year.

One positive I see is that all the first round games should be pretty competitive. Williston should give Grafton a push, and Red River-Bismarck should be a great game as well. The only game I see possibly getting out of hand would be Century vs. South. Century has a good goaltender, but South is just a great hockey team that will be playing on Saturday night.

I think south and minot in the championship. GRP with central for 3rd place and RR is a toss up for 5th place. The big key to the game is defense. No matter how good a goalie is, he is nothing without help in front. I have seen it at many games this year, and a certain goalie tells me "a goalie can't stop what he can't see."

I think south and minot in the championship. GRP with central for 3rd place and RR is a toss up for 5th place. The big key to the game is defense. No matter how good a goalie is, he is nothing without help in front. I have seen it at many games this year, and a certain goalie tells me "a goalie can't stop what he can't see."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have Minot going to the final then 5th is the best that Central could do. You heard it here first, it will be an all Grand Forks final with RR barely edging out Central. Minot can't win a title unless they face another West team in the final, which won't happen again until Halley's comet shows up the same year that the Vikings win the SuperBowl. South won't win because they are too arrogant and full of themselves.

If you have Minot going to the final then 5th is the best that Central could do. You heard it here first, it will be an all Grand Forks final with RR barely edging out Central. Minot can't win a title unless they face another West team in the final, which won't happen again until Halley's comet shows up the same year that the Vikings win the SuperBowl. South won't win because they are too arrogant and full of themselves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Minot can get by the first game they have a good shot to win the tourney, but that is a huge if because they always seem to struggle in the first round. The safe bet to win is South, but you never know what will happen.

If Minot can get by the first game they have a good shot to win the tourney, but that is a huge if because they always seem to struggle in the first round. The safe bet to win is South, but you never know what will happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that minot will lose to GPR in the semis who will eventually lose to RR in the Final. South is a good team but inconsistant as well.

All-GF final? Oh geez, and people think I'm stuck in the '80s. ???

Central is going to have their lunch handed to them by Minot in the 1st round, and Red River is going to be taken out by South in the semis. South is going to win it all, over either Minot or Grafton-PR. The loser between Minot and Grafton-PR will beat Red River in the 3rd place game. Central will take 5th.

PS - The arrogant and full of themselves teams are from GF.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Winning practically every year will do that to a town.

GO GPR!!

Our goalie is playing well and we have The Line; we just need the D to step up in the tourny and get some contribution from the 2nd and 3rd lines. Years ago we had the Brodeur, French, Pederson line that set the record in scoring, but we got trounced by a very good Central team in the final.

I'm not sure I've seen a team more motivated than South who must be saying

"Remember last year."

GO GPR!!

Our goalie is playing well and we have The Line; we just need the D to step up in the tourny and get some contribution from the 2nd and 3rd lines. Years ago we had the Brodeur, French, Pederson line that set the record in scoring, but we got trounced by a very good Central team in the final.

I'm not sure I've seen a team more motivated than South who must be saying

"Remember last year."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I predict a GPR and South final, but would love to see South take on Minot. GPR is only strong with one line though, and a goalie that can come up huge or lag up. It should be a good tourny in the upper bracket, and not a poor one in the lower. But I feel South wants this, and they have the highest overall skill and depth of any team in the state.

i never thought about that. that would be interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The state did it that way at one time, not sure when they changed it. In 1995 they had a North/South format. Someone with a stronger grasp of the history could explain it better but my understanding is that the west teams wanted it changed so they could get more representation at state. Someone will have to correct me on this but it was done differently (south/north) and then changed to the present format.

I know that North-South is the way they currently do Pee Wee A and Bantam A hockey divisions, and as a former player I loved getting the chance to play against the Grand Forks teams. I doubt that this would happen in the high schools though because of the amount of travel that is required for the North-South format.

Just for fun, the North South Format this year would have probably been:

North

1. Red River

2. Minot

3. GPR

4. Central

South

1. Fargo South

2. Bismarck

3. Fargo North

4. Bismarck Century

All of these teams made state this year except North.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that Bismarck is a team very much like grafton, one big line, not much else. But with a less than 100% sam aide, rr should pull this one out. In regards to Minot, the only reason theyre undefeated is because the only real competiton theyve seen is rr and grafton. it will be difficult for minot to get past central because of the home ice advantage. if they do get past central it will be even tougher to get past grafton. they can beat anyone they want at home but you arent a good team until you can win on the road. also-even if aide is close to full strength, it will take 1 supermarket sweep for him to be limping back to the bench.

i found an interesting note and minot and bismarcks record against the east this year:

Bismarck (2-0) both wins were on the road as well

- beat fargo south 6-5

-beat grafton 6-0

Minot (2-0-1)

-beat GFC 4-2

-tied red river 2-2

-beat grafton 5-1

so even though every is predicting a champion from the east this year, they have yet to beat a western team. Theres something to think about.

The state tournament would be a lot stronger if they changed the sections from east-west to north-south. Has this idea ever been brought up? What are peoples thoughts on this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the concern was a north/south configuration favors eastern ND teams...in the current way - the west is guarenteed 4 teams, regardless of how strong the east is. In any normal year - 5 east teams would be almost guarenteed a slot. (Central, RR, South, North, and GPR) PLUS you'd have to shift the conference schedule so Central would play Minot twice, etc so they'd play the Fargo schools less and that would suck. I'd be against that move...

BTW - Anyone remember Jamestown? they used to be in the west and made State almost every year - several years ago they got shifted to the east region and haven't gotten a sniff of the state tourney since...

The great coaching of GF Red River will lead RR to the championship....wait no, no it wont be the coaching but it will be a group of kids who have played up to their true potential for about a total of 9 periods this year and still find themselves at the 3rd seed in the east. THey will finally show the state how good this team can really be and be the ones cheering on Saturday nite.

More than likely Minot will not make it through 3 east teams to win state. If Red river plays up to their potential they should win state, but South should be tough and Grafton. Bismarck high will end up not doin much since Aide is done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If rr can put 3 good games together they will be very hard to beat. even tho south has beat them twice so far, it is difficult to beat a team 3 times in a year, as witnessed by gpr beating rr in the edc tourney. i could definately see minot gettin bounced in the first round. they beat central at home, but in grand forks and with central's home fans there, this will be a difficult game for minot to win (although the garritson injury will hurt central). my prediction is a red river vs. grafton championship with rr winning