SiouxSports.com Forum

2005 North Dakota State Hockey Tournament

Wilbur

Red River and Central earned their state championship game spots, but tonight at seven we wont be watching the two best teams in the state, thats a fact.  We will be watching the two teams who just happend to come to play at the right time.  You can go on how this is their tradition and they are playoff teams but I doubt that has much to do with it.

It depends on how you want to define the 'best team'. I'm sure UND would have loved to trade spots with Denver last year. I define the best team as the one winning the tournament championship. Regular season titles are very impressive accomplishments but there is a reason a tournament champion is crowned as well as remembered. Don't discount the quality of the GF teams because their regular seasons weren't up to past standards.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to everyone who has been saying that the two best teams arent playing in the championship tonite, well theyre just wrong. the best teams are the teams that show up to play in big games, and grafton (choked away a 2 goal lead), minot (got crushed by central) and south (game was over after 2 periods) didnt show up to play at all. everyone who thinks that stahl and mclean are the best goalies in the state better think again, because theyre clearly not (eric olsen earns that honor). the two best teams ARE red river and central.

I think that DaveK's point is that sometimes the best team statistically doesn't win the championship. Grafton pounded Central twice during the regular season but Central is playing for the right to call themselves champions. Simply stated, Grafton lost the one that counted most. Doesn't diminsh the fact that they, South, and Minot had seasons to be proud of.

I may be wrong but I got a feeling like a lot of the posters here showing such passion and anger over a high school hockey tournament may have been on the short side of the big one in their own sports career. Get over it. :love:

If they were the two best teams they wouldn't have been the 3 and 4 seeds, as I'm sure all of the players and coaches would tell you. They are in the championship because they beat the two best teams. Congratulations to them, it took a great effort to beat teams better than they are. They deserve a lot of credit and should be very proud of themselves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Dave....the 2 best teams are playing for the title. Maybe back in Nov or Dec Fargo South was the best team in the East. But these are kids, they're still learning and progressing. It should be obvious. The Grand Forks kids worked hard and improved as the season wore on. South hit their plateau early and stayed there. From what I've seen in the tourney...Red River is the most talented team in the state right now. And right now is all that matters. With your logic the Vikes can lay claim to being the NFL's best team the year they choked against the Falcons. Anybody believe that? Hell no.

how can you say that it is not the two best teams in the state that make it to the championship. the best team isnt decided by who has hte best regular season but by who has the best post season. clearly that is not davek's soon to be powerhouse bruins. yes the bruins did have a great team this year but were not the best team as you claim. There is a huge difference between the most talented team and the best team. Talent only gets you so far and than character and heart take over. South did not show hte heart or character of the best team nor did they show that they were even the most talented team on the ice. good luck to the two PROVEN best teams in the state and i hope to see a large turnout for this game.

Best teams or not, GFC vs RR (I agree with the thought that state champs are remembered.)

Central 5 E. Netter

RR 3

Mr. Hockey -Marto

Tourney team

G - Olsen RR

D - Marto GFC

D - L. Smith, GFC doesn't put up points but doesn't ever seem to be out of position

F - Mihulka RR

F - Spies RR

F - (1) Campbel GPR

Sorry for spellings, one of the RR forwards could be booted for Minot's Willert, but he didn't show up for the GFC game and wasn't noticeable. Same for Fargo's studs. Jake Stadstad has been moving his feet and flying, he could also get that same spot.

QUOTE- BRING DEAN BACK

God I love it when I am right.  If South's motto last offseason was 46 seconds, I got a suggestion for the coming offseason, how about 102 minutes?  That is how far away they were this year.  They are actually getting farther and farther away from their goal.  Red River was clearly the better team tonight.  I counted three posts by Red River.  That game could have been 5-0 after the first period.  Though I suppose that DaveK will think that they were all fluke goals by Red River.  Apparently anytime someone scores a goal against South it is a fluke.

South may have some good hockey players but there is one thing that they will never have, TRADITION.  You can run as many kids as you want through the Flyers or Raiders youth programs, but the bottom line is once you get to the high school state tourney, it is all Grand Forks.  It always has been that way, and it always will be that way. END QUOTE

bringdeanback....

I think it's time to realize that your high school days are done and you are not a part of either of the Grand Forks high school teams and you throw your cocky, thirteen-year-old attitude out the window.  You have made it clear you have not fully developed emotionally and try to make yourself feel like you are a part of these teams to feel a sense of accomplishment, which you are not and have not.  Red River and Central earned their state championship game spots, but tonight at seven we wont be watching the two best teams in the state, thats a fact.  We will be watching the two teams who just happend to come to play at the right time.  You can go on how this is their tradition and they are playoff teams but I doubt that has much to do with it. Also, I don't think it is a mature thing to rub the loss of a state championship in the faces of kids, because thats what they are kids!  After the statements you just made, I'd love to see the South boys get a shot at you on the ice... after all you are from Grand Forks and it is all Grand Forks isn't it?  Let the players do the talking, your a spectator and that's all you'll ever be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Specifics and DaveK should open up a wine factory with all of their sour grapes.

I find it amusing that I am accussed of "living through high school kids" when DaveK has done nothing but hype the Fargo Flyer Squirt and younger program for the last year.

Yes, I never played high school hockey so I am sure the South kids would have no problem knocking me on my butt. But I also feel pretty confident that I could score nine out of ten times on their goalie.

If they were the two best teams they wouldn't have been the 3 and 4 seeds, as I'm sure all of the players and coaches would tell you. They are in the championship because they beat the two best teams. Congratulations to them, it took a great effort to beat teams better than they are. They deserve a lot of credit and should be very proud of themselves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well if you want to say it that way than RR is one of the 2 best teams because they got 2nd in the regular season.

First and foremost I would like to congratulate the players on the Central and Red River teams. Those kids really stepped up tonight. Central had a great rally and that goalie for RR single-handedly stole that game. The higher seeded teams didn't get it done, and that's why they play the games.

Now, I would like to say to BringDeanBack, soohockey15, and gfhockey1... why don't you guys grow up and try to learn how to win with class? People throughout the rest of the state don't hate the GF teams because of their success, they hate those teams because of people with condescending attitudes like yours. Your teams won. Congratulations. But gloating about it and belittling the other programs just makes you look like immature.

Although the Bruins didn't get it done this year, I still believe it's inevitable that the balance of power in ND hockey is going to shift one hour south of GF in the near future. I know you GF elitists like to say the GF teams will continue to dominate in the future just because they have dominated in the past, but that isn't real strong logic. The teams from the past have no bearing on the teams that we're going to see in the future.

Now, I'll tell you why Fargo South will establish itself as the best team in the state within the next few years... quite simply, they have the best players. Did you know the Fargo Flyers squirts A team is 35-0? These kids are going to be playing for South a few years down the road, and will very likely destroy everybody that gets in their way in a fashion not seen since the 1983-84 Central Redskins. Just take a look at some of these scores I pulled off the Flyers website...

12/04/04 - Flyers 8, GF Blackhawks 2

12/04/04 - Flyers 6, GF Supras 0

12/17/04 - Flyers 14, Warroad 0

12/18/04 - Flyers 3, Roseau 0

12/19/04 - Flyers 7, Warroad 1

12/28/04 - Flyers 8, Grafton 1

01/02/05 - Flyers 5, Moorhead 3

01/09/05 - Flyers 4, Roseau 2

01/16/05 - Flyers 1, GF Supras 0

01/31/05 - Flyers 11, Moorhead 5

GF has all the history and tradition, but the future of ND hockey dominance is in Fargo (at least on the south side of town). Enjoy your all GF final tomorrow night, because it could be a long time before you see another one. Not that I'm going to act like a butthead and gloat about it if and when I am proven right about this, I'm just saying that judging by what I've seen with my own eyes the kids who play hockey in the Fargo youth program are superior players to the kids who play in the GF youth program. That isn't to say the GF players aren't good, it's that the Fargo kids are really really good.

To whoever it was who made the statement earlier about how South can't possibly go on a run of 5 titles in 10 years because they only have 2 in their history so far... if I remember correctly Red River only had 2 in their history prior to winning 9 titles in 15 years (1987-2001). Think about that one for a while. Every winning tradition has its humble beginnings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whopdy f*ckin dooo my cousins girls squirt team is doing good too in park board hockey but im not talkin them up like they are the sh*t. Lets get real

Yeah, okay Einstein... I'm a monster because I'm proud of my son (who I have been told is a great goalie).  :love:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour are "great" goalies. Lets wait a few years before we start throwing that word around with your son.

Does anybody in their right mind believe that USA actually had the better team when they beat the Soviets in 1980? The fact is the better team doesn't always win, and that is why they play the games. Why is that so hard for some people to understand? UND had a better team than Denver last year, but Denver won. For that matter, Maine had a better team when they lost to Denver. It isn't about who has the best team, it's about who peaks at the right time.

Congratulations to Red River, by the way. This particular group of kids has never won a state title before, so I am happy for them. The last time RR won state, their current players were probably in Bantams or Pee Wees. The Central kids have won enough, time to give somebody else a taste. That Olson kid was outstanding.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! So the Bruins were the high school version of the mighty Russians? And the Riders pulled off another Miricle on Ice? I guess this must have been the greatest upset in ND hockey history. And you talk about the arrogance of GF fans? And Denver was the better team last year.....when it mattered. If you peak at the right time, you are the best team. Denver was the best team in the country at the time the playoffs started and ended. Maybe not the most talented, but the best TEAM. They are the defending NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. They beat the best so they are the best. Whining about regular season records is nothing but arrogant disrespect for the team you lost to. Why is that so hard to understand? Regular seasons and playoffs are 2 entirely different animals. When the pressures on, the creme rises to the top and the pretenders are exposed.

DaveK, people like you are the reason no Fargo teams ever win state. Your kids will grow up with you catering to their every need, you and all the parents telling them how great they are and how awesome theyll be because they rolled off 35 wins when they are 11. High School hockey is much different. When the best player in the state, Jake Marto, was young he could score 3 goals in any game if he wouldve wanted, and look how the Riders shut him down last nite. If you wouldve noticed during the state tourney, not all the players are the same age. So the "Years of Dominance" that you are talking about will probably be just one year of a decent team that will probably lose to a Grand Forks team in the state tourney.

I was at the game last night but I didn't stay for the awards.  What I am wondering is how Red River did not get the spirit award. I thought they had a great student section. Also congrats to Jake Marto on a great career.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's kind of a given that GFC and Grafton get the Spirit Award. The entire city of Grafton shows up for every game they play in, and Central has always been a great supporter. However, I'd rather have that nice Hardware compared to a banner saying we got spirit. RIDERS 2005

DaveK, Wilbur, i think everyone saw tontie what ive been saying all along- rr is the best team in the state. and once again eric olsen proved himself as the best goalie in the state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When did I ever disagree with you that Red River is the best team in the state?

Congrats to Red River on the state title. Their depth absolutely killed Central last night, and they did a great job keeping an eye on Mr. Hockey. It was a fun title game to watch.