SiouxSports.com Forum

2005 North Dakota State Hockey Tournament

Wilbur

I think that Bismarck is a team very much like grafton, one big line, not much else.  But with a less than 100% sam aide, rr should pull this one out.  In regards to Minot, the only reason theyre undefeated is because the only real competiton theyve seen is rr and grafton. it will be difficult for minot to get past central because of the home ice advantage. if they do get past central it will be even tougher to get past grafton.  they can beat anyone they want at home but you arent a good team until you can win on the road.  also-even if aide is close to full strength, it will take 1 supermarket sweep for him to be limping back to the bench.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the bismarck team has two good lines a couple stong defensemen and a goalie that could steal a win or two, although consistancey has been a problem for bhs this year they could be great one game and terrible another and without aide who knows what they will be like

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than likely Minot will not make it through 3 east teams to win state. If Red river plays up to their potential they should win state, but South should be tough and Grafton. Bismarck high will end up not doin much since Aide is done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Minot more then likley will beat east teams and red river grafton and south will be very tough but i would not count BHS out of the picture

If rr can put 3 good games together they will be very hard to beat. even tho south has beat them twice so far, it is difficult to beat a team 3 times in a year, as witnessed by gpr beating rr in the edc tourney. i could definately see minot gettin bounced in the first round. they beat central at home, but in grand forks and with central's home fans there, this will be a difficult game for minot to win (although the garritson injury will hurt central). my prediction is a red river vs. grafton championship with rr winning

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even if RR plays up to their potential, they would need South to play below their potential to beat them in a potential semifinal matchup. South beat Central three times this year, and should have no problem doing the same to RR. Minot seems to be very strong. I wouldn't be surprised if they win it all, but South seems very determined to avange the fluke ending to last year's title game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You keep referring to Central's title as being a fluke. Well, how about the South title of 1994 being a fluke. How a Central team with two Panzers, Ness, and O'connel lost is beyond me. But that must be different huh.

I wish I could jump on the Minot bandwagon, but they've broken my heart too many times. I expect Central to SHUT OUT Minot, probably by a score of like 2 or 3 to nothing..... ???

Might as well throw out my day one predictions:

Central over Minot

GPR over Williston

Red River over Bismarck (probably without Aide)

South over Century

And for the next 12 months all I'll here is that no western teams should be allowed in the state tournament. ;)

I think Central has a great chance to at least beat Minot... Central has been playing very, very well through the end of the season. I didn't see the game against South in the EDC tourney, but i heard that they played well and had some chances to score. It seems to me that ever since the Warroad game, they have been really coming together as a team. They lost that game, badly, but played well, and it seems they have really put it together. Losing Garritson hurts, he's their most physical player...but after he went down against West Fargo, it seemed like the team really picked it up, and rallied around it and played with a lot of emotion... As long as they can keep the weak goals against down, and if Kelvin can be solid, and keep his concentration, they have a good chance to get to the finals, I think...

what more can minot or the west do to prove themselves this year. Bismarck hi beat the easts # 1 and 2 seeds on there home ice, and minot beat the #4 and 2 seeds, and tied the 3 seeds. Central hasn't won a quality game since dec. 27th, (and jamestown, north, and west fargo dont count as quality teams), and now they are playin the states only undefeated team. Central will only have a chance of winning if minot beats themselves.

BHS proved themselves when they beat south, and kicked the crap out of grafton in grafton. The tournament is so wide open this year, that if they play as good as they can, they will have a chance, even without aide in the lineup, 10 guys have at least 10 or more points on the team this year. I would bet that a Grand forks team wont even make it to the championship this year.

what more can minot or the west do to prove themselves this year. Bismarck hi beat the easts # 1 and 2 seeds on there home ice, and minot beat the #4 and 2 seeds, and tied the 3 seeds. Central hasn't won a quality game since dec. 27th, (and jamestown, north, and west fargo dont count as quality teams), and now they are playin the states only undefeated team. Central will only have a chance of winning if minot beats themselves.

BHS proved themselves when they beat south, and kicked the crap out of grafton in grafton. The tournament is so wide open this year, that if they play as good as they can, they will have a chance, even without aide in the lineup, 10 guys have at least 10 or more points on the team this year. I would bet that a Grand forks team wont even make it to the championship this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

im with you on that also, bhs has some studs who according to bob gillen have 3 all west region players ( kopp 36 pts Aide 47 pts and hillman the sophmore goalie) and 9 players with 10 or more points not counting aide they will be a suprise i dont know about a state title because minot clearly overwelmed them and had a physical edge on them everytime they played

lol if bismarck hi couldn't win state in 92 i dont expect them too with this team, but i am sick of the east thinking they are so overpowering this year, i will give south props because they are a great team. But the east hasn't beaten anyone from the west yet this year, and i'm not about to throw in the towel just because its state. I'll say this with respect to grand forks because i know how good they are every year, but there is a reason this year why they are 3rd and 4th in the east.

GO GPR!!

Our goalie is playing well and we have The Line; we just need the D to step up in the tourny and get some contribution from the 2nd and 3rd lines. Years ago we had the Brodeur, French, Pederson line that set the record in scoring, but we got trounced by a very good Central team in the final.

I'm not sure I've seen a team more motivated than South who must be saying

"Remember last year."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

South might not be as motivated as you think. Surprisingly enough, only 5 of the players on this year's roster were on that team last year, which was loaded with seniors. The rest of them either played junior varsity or bantam "A". I'm not saying these kids aren't motivated at all, just that remembering what happened last year doesn't directly pertain to most of them.

The great coaching of GF Red River will lead RR to the championship....wait no, no  it wont be the coaching but it will be a group of kids who have played up to their true potential for about a total of 9 periods this year and still find themselves at the 3rd seed in the east. THey will finally show the state how good this team can really be and be the ones cheering on Saturday nite.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen

im with you on that also, bhs has some studs who according to bob gillen have 3 all west region players ( kopp 36 pts Aide 47 pts and hillman the sophmore goalie) and 9 players with 10 or more points not counting aide they will be a suprise i dont know about a state title because minot clearly overwelmed them and had a physical edge on them everytime they played

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

everyt team at state will overwelm the bis high squad

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

havent won a quality game since dec 27? they did beat red river 5-3 on jan 27. red river is a quality team. sure sounds like you know what youre talking about.