SiouxSports.com Forum

2005 North Dakota State Hockey Tournament

Wilbur

2-1 Bismarck after 2. Go Rough Riders.

As to Marto and Juniors. I am very well versed regarding the junior hockey leagues throughout North America. There are many players who make the transition directly from high school. The Gophers to this day take a lot of kids right from high school. Yes, many program's rosters are full of junior players, but many special players can make the jump. It is a case by case decision, and I think that Marto is ready for the college game. Like I said earlier, he reminds me of Paul Martin who made that transition. The better the competition, the better for a player's development, and obviously the college game is better than Tier I US or Tier II Canada. I agree that Marto is not a Sidney Crosby, and I am not saying that he could step up to Major Junior. I just think that he is ready for the college game.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2-1 Bismarck after 2.  Go Rough Riders.

As to Marto and Juniors.  I am very well versed regarding the junior hockey leagues  throughout North America.  There are many players who make the transition directly from high school.  The Gophers to this day take a lot of kids right from high school.  Yes, many program's rosters are full of junior players, but many special players can make the jump.  It is a case by case decision, and I think that Marto is ready for the college game.  Like I said earlier, he reminds me of Paul Martin who made that transition.  The better the competition, the better for a player's development, and obviously the college game is better than Tier I US or Tier II Canada.  I agree that Marto is not a Sidney Crosby, and I am not saying that he could step up to Major Junior.  I just think that he is ready for the college game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In any case, good luck to him and I hope whatever choice he makes provides maximum development for his hockey career. The options available provide a lot of tough decisions. It will be interesting to see where he ends up next fall.

next year the state tourney should be cancelled and the edc should be played double elimination. im not even joking. when the undefeated #1 seed comes in and gets it absolutely handed to them you know theres a problem. the closest game of the nite was the rr game where, if the riders wouldve converted on a few scoring chances, it wouldve been a blowout. none of those west teams deserve to be in the state tournament. none.

Looks like an all east winners bracket is inevitable.  Maybe the west should get to make an all-star team to try and compete with the east  :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, they tried that in youth hockey quite a few years ago and played a state champion youth team from the east in a post season tourney and lost by a larger margin than they did as an intact team during the regular season.

Another year, another Friday afternoon replay of the WDA tournament. How many years of this will it take before all of you who said the WDA teams were different this year realize that they cant hold a candle to the teams in the EDC. And to all of you who laughed at the prediction someone made of an all GF final, you are going to be quite suprised come tomorrow night.

You're right, 10 of the last 15. 9 of the last 14...

1991 - Grafton

1992 - Minot

1993 - Central

1994 - South

1995 - Central

1996 - Red River

1997 - Red River

1998 - Red River

1999 - South

2000 - Red River

2001 - Red River

2002 - Grafton

2003 - Central

2004 - Central

Prior to Central winning the last two, GF schools had won 7 and non-GF schools 5 from 1991 till 2002. That to me looks like the rest of the state has made great strides to narrow the gap. I believe that has to be the first ever 12 year span in which less than 8 titles were won by GF schools, right? If Central or Red River should happen to win the tournament this year I will be forced to eat my words, but don't be surprised this year marks the beginning of a new era in ND hockey. Within the next 10 years I could easily see South win 5 state championships. Red River, Central, and Grafton could split the other 5.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The day South wins 5 titles in 10 years will be a clod day in hell. Its only taken them 40 years to win 2 so why not 5 in the next 10 years. They cant even win when they have the lead with 47 seconds left, and this year theyre arent even going to make the final. Fargo South isnt in Grand Forks, therefore they wont win more than once or maybe twice a decade.

The day South wins 5 titles in 10 years will be a clod day in hell.  Its only taken them 40 years to win 2 so why not 5 in the next 10 years.  They cant even win when they have the lead with 47 seconds left, and this year theyre arent even going to make the final.  Fargo South isnt in Grand Forks, therefore they wont win more than once or maybe twice a decade.

Gay%20Thread%20congrats.jpg

Maybe this board needs an age verification system :silly:

next year the state tourney should be cancelled and the edc should be played double elimination.  im not even joking.  when the undefeated #1 seed comes in and gets it absolutely handed to them you know theres a problem.  the closest game of the nite was the rr game where, if the riders wouldve converted on a few scoring chances, it wouldve been a blowout.  none of those west teams deserve to be in the state tournament.  none.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree

The state hockey tournament should be rotated between the east and west each year. The Bismarck Civic Center could host it in the west. I think the eastern schools would benefit from being on the road once in a while. The Grand Forks schools should do well in the state tournament. Has it ever been held anywhere other than Grand Forks?

The state hockey tournament should be rotated between the east and west each year.  The Bismarck Civic Center could host it in the west.  I think the eastern schools would benefit from being on the road once in a while.  The Grand Forks schools should do well in the state tournament.  Has it ever been held anywhere other than Grand Forks?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is the Civic Center capable of this?

The state hockey tournament should be rotated between the east and west each year.  The Bismarck Civic Center could host it in the west.  I think the eastern schools would benefit from being on the road once in a while.  The Grand Forks schools should do well in the state tournament.  Has it ever been held anywhere other than Grand Forks?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. thats really funny. for a minute there i actually thought u meant that there are real ice rinks in the western part of the state, because from what i saw today there obviously arent.

The Class B boys basketball tournament was doing fine in Bismarck until someone decided that it should be moved east, into the Bison Sports Arena and the Fargodome, I believe.

The same principles apply. If that doesn't work for you, then why not move it to Fargo once in a while?

Yes, the Bismarck Civic Center has ice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats the 2nd stupidest thing ive heard all day next to the South Bismark score

The Class B boys basketball tournament was doing fine in Bismarck until someone decided that it should be moved east, into the Bison Sports Arena and the Fargodome, I believe. 

The same principles apply.  If that doesn't work for you, then why not move it to Fargo once in a while?

Yes, the Bismarck Civic Center has ice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What teams use the ice?

2-1 Bismarck after 2.  Go Rough Riders.

As to Marto and Juniors.  I am very well versed regarding the junior hockey leagues  throughout North America.  There are many players who make the transition directly from high school.  The Gophers to this day take a lot of kids right from high school.  Yes, many program's rosters are full of junior players, but many special players can make the jump.  It is a case by case decision, and I think that Marto is ready for the college game.  Like I said earlier, he reminds me of Paul Martin who made that transition.  The better the competition, the better for a player's development, and obviously the college game is better than Tier I US or Tier II Canada.  I agree that Marto is not a Sidney Crosby, and I am not saying that he could step up to Major Junior.  I just think that he is ready for the college game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How many kids do the Gophers have right now on their roster that they took straight out of high school? It is always interesting to learn more about how these kids make that transition, i.e. how important the juniors route is. I have heard varying opinions and am interested in your analysis of it.