SiouxSports.com Forum

2005 North Dakota State Hockey Tournament

Wilbur

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am as impressed with Marto as anyone, but as I mentioned he hasn't devoted himself full-time to hockey and therefore isn't as strong or beefed up as some of the players that have spent all summer in the gym and on the ice. There is more to playing college hockey than skating and handling the puck well. At this stage of his development he still isn't able to pin strong high school players to the boards for any period of time, can you imagine trying to stop a bull like Drew Stafford from going to the net. Nothing against Marto, but I don't know many players coming out of high school, especially on the North Dakota side, that could handle that situation on a regular basis. If you can name me one player that came right from North Dakota high school hockey to play major college hockey, I'll cut you some slack on this one, but none comes to mind, nevermind trying to make an actual impact in such a situation. In fact look at the handful of Mr. Hockey winners from North Dakota that went on to play college hockey, and all of them played Junior hockey after high school.

well wilbs i think that you are mabye gettin a little too touchy on this hockey subject.  it seems to me that youre in denial taht your minot boys just cant put a game together when the time comes.  sorry i have to go, but i need to recount how many times grand forks teams have won state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know everything, I am but a humble servant.

I would like to apologize to members of the board for my many posts trying to talk reason into a couple of hockey fans. I hope that no one will look down upon my opinion of hockey in the future. I guess I'll always believe that kids deseve equal opportunities, and although the west is weak in hockey, the only way they will get better is playing east region teams in a setting like the state tournament.

Sorry again.... :silly:

Enough already, we know that Minot took a dump, maybe if they wouldn't have been happy with a 2-0 lead things may have ended up different but they were and things stayed the same.

I think Jacob Marto will do fine if he ends up in the WCHA playing for UMD, UND, St.Cloud, Uof M, whoever. He has a very quick stick, he is sometimes out of position even now :silly: But is able to make up with it with a quick steal, not even a poke check, he pulls it right off someone's stick.

GFC will once again have their hands full with "the line" but, if they ALL skate again they can pull it off.

RR is scary. They have so much offensive talent that if they put it together they may be able to blow even FS (shaky shaky FS) out of the water. Can't wait for the semis tomorrow....err tonight.

So you're 100% positive that we're going to see upsets in both semifinal games? Not saying it isn't a possibility at this point considering how Central handled Minot and the way McLean turned what should have been a slaughter into a close game against Century (I hope he bounces back vs. RR), but this cocky holier than thou attitude is exactly the thing I've been hinting at that rubs me the wrong way about the Central and Red River hockey programs. It's not even the players that are cocky, it's the people who support those programs. Not all of the people who support those programs, but enough to make them all look bad. Yes, they're very good programs... but get over yourselves already. The arrogance coming out of GF is almost as bad as it is over in Moorhead. You can't go around with the attitude that you should be expected to win because of what your teams did in previous years. There's a reason you were the 3 and 4 seeds coming out of the east this year. How many games did both GF schools combined win aganst South this year? I believe they're a combined 0 for 5. Right? As the 1 and 2 seeds, South and Grafton still have to be considered the odds-on favorites to meet in the title game till proven otherwise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is hard to say what is going to happen now. I do not think the rest of the tourney will be unpredictable however. The teams have a feeling for eachother and know what is going on. IT is game time now boys.

So you're 100% positive that we're going to see upsets in both semifinal games? Not saying it isn't a possibility at this point considering how Central handled Minot and the way McLean turned what should have been a slaughter into a close game against Century (I hope he bounces back vs. RR), but this cocky holier than thou attitude is exactly the thing I've been hinting at that rubs me the wrong way about the Central and Red River hockey programs. It's not even the players that are cocky, it's the people who support those programs. Not all of the people who support those programs, but enough to make them all look bad. Yes, they're very good programs... but get over yourselves already. The arrogance coming out of GF is almost as bad as it is over in Moorhead. You can't go around with the attitude that you should be expected to win because of what your teams did in previous years. There's a reason you were the 3 and 4 seeds coming out of the east this year. How many games did both GF schools combined win aganst South this year? I believe they're a combined 0 for 5. Right? As the 1 and 2 seeds, South and Grafton still have to be considered the odds-on favorites to meet in the title game till proven otherwise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SOunds to me like your the one being cocky and spouting off about how great Fargo hockey is and how great the program is going to be in the future. :silly:

East sweep! In the Minot game they were stupid with penalties, GFC has the best powerplay in the state, thier 5 X 5 may struggle but that Powerplay scores alot of thier goals. Grafton didnt really have to try. Red river has a little scare but they could have easily blown that one out early if they scored on thier chances. South that game gave me a good laugh, every other shot when in for century haha.

I see Bismarck High and Williston winning today. Williston is at least excited to still be a part of a state tournament, the Minot kids don't give a $hit. I bet if you talked to a majority of the Fargo North players they would be thrilled to be still playing hockey, the Minot players need a reality check.... :silly:

Williston looked good for the 1st period and for a couple minutes into the 2nd, actually leading the game 3-1 in the 2nd, but Minot poured it on, scoring 6 goals in the 2nd.  I think the final was 8-4, Minot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the West being as weak as it is, how did guys like Bair and Willeret not score 100 goals each?

It took about a period for it to happen, but Minot started to play a little bit of hockey in the second period. The game didn't get cheap at the end, so that was a good thing. I felt bad for the Williston goaltender, he's had a pretty good season, and his defensemen left him out to dry on numerous occasions. It was weird however, that he took himself out of the game after Minot's seventh goal, usually thats a coaches responsibility.... :silly: