SiouxSports.com Forum

2005 North Dakota State Hockey Tournament

Wilbur

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my theory on the state tournament and I am from the East.....Until someone beats Minot, they're the team to beat. Everyone seems to be knocking the West because of how they've faired in the past, but until they lose, they're #1. Central's got a chance, but they're going to need a quick goal against Minot to get some positive energy for the team. Red River won't win it just for the simple fact that they don't want it as a team and the only reason they're even at the state tournament is because of some bogus penalties called by the refs(I was there). They weren't the best team on the ice that day against North and shouldn't even be here. Grafton and Bismarck are the sleepers in my opinion. Grafton is a very solid hockey team right now that played South extremely tough in the East final. If their one line can keep scoring and they get good goaltending, they got a shot to win it all. Bismarck is in the same boat, even though they have 10 guys that have scored over 10 pts., they rely on their one line for the most part and their goalie, whos been solid. But judging by the West final, the best they could hope for is another chance at Minot in the Finals. Minot has beaten the quality teams from the East this year, so I think they get the nod right now as the favorites. But they haven't played the East teams for quite some time and all 4 teams from the East are playing much better(maybe not RR) than they were around Christmas Time. Let The Games Begin.

Here's my theory on the state tournament and I am from the East.....Until someone beats Minot, they're the team to beat.  Everyone seems to be knocking the West because of how they've faired in the past, but until they lose, they're #1.  Central's got a chance, but they're going to need a quick goal against Minot to get some positive energy for the team.  Red River won't win it just for the simple fact that they don't want it as a team and the only reason they're even at the state tournament is because of some bogus penalties called by the refs(I was there).  They weren't the best team on the ice that day against North and shouldn't even be here.  Grafton and Bismarck are the sleepers in my opinion.  Grafton is a very solid hockey team right now that played South extremely tough in the East final.  If their one line can keep scoring and they get good goaltending, they got a shot to win it all.  Bismarck is in the same boat, even though they have 10 guys that have scored over 10 pts., they rely on their one line for the most part and their goalie, whos been solid.  But judging by the West final, the best they could hope for is another chance at Minot in the Finals.  Minot has beaten the quality teams from the East this year, so I think they get the nod right now as the favorites.  But they haven't played the East teams for quite some time and all 4 teams from the East are playing much better(maybe not RR) than they were around Christmas Time.  Let The Games Begin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very well stated Lefty.

1985 - Grafton

1986 - North

1987 - Red River

1988 -

1989 -

1990 -

1991 -

1992 - Minot

1993 - Central

1994 - South

1995 -

1996 -Red River

1997 -Red River

1998 -Red River

1999 - South

2000 -Red River

2001 -Red River

2002 - Grafton

2003 - Central

2004 - Central

1985 - Grafton

1986 - North

1987 - Red River

1988 -

1989 -

1990 -

1991 -

1992 - Minot

1993 - Central

1994 - South

1995 -

1996 -Red River

1997 -Red River

1998 -Red River

1999 - South

2000 -Red River

2001 -Red River

2002 - Grafton

2003 - Central

2004 - Central

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

88 - Red River

89 - Red River

90 - Red River

95 - Central, I believe

jloos, O'Connell and the Panzers went to Central.

btw, thanks everyone who contributed for helping fill in the list.

i think this is the year rr will win. theyre on a championship drought (by rr standards) and if they play up to their potential are the best team in the state. minot is a perennial choke job and south will come in too overconfident. look for rr knocking off gpr in the final. what are everyone else's picks?

i think this is the year rr will win.  theyre on a championship drought (by rr standards) and if they play up to their potential are the best team in the state.  minot is a perennial choke job and south will come in too overconfident.  look for rr knocking off gpr in the final.  what are everyone else's picks?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just because you wish something will happen, it doesn't mean it will. :silly:

No, actually not... because that's not a true statement. The GF schools used to win practically every year back in the '70s and '80s. Not anymore. Now they win every other year on average, which is still impressive but they don't live up to their reputation from 20 years ago. BringDeanBack just made himself look like he's been living in a cave for the last 15 years with that statement. The days of GF teams dominating the rest of the state every year have been over for a very long time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:silly:

From the lists posted, it looks like a GF school has won 4 of the last 5, 8 of the last 10, 10 of last 15, and 13 of last 20. Domination by the GF schools has been "over for a very long time?" :D If state titles is your criterion, think maybe you should re-examine the evidence...

88 - Red River

89 - Red River

90 - Red River

95 - Central, I believe

jloos, O'Connell and the Panzers went to Central.

btw, thanks everyone who contributed for helping fill in the list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then Central won state in 94 and 95. I thought O'Connell was the one that went to a different school. I remember all of the GF kids that came to North to play for the Bears were from Central but one - it must have been Schneider then, I thought it was one of those goons :silly:

Watch Out is right.  I hear that thing eats small children for breakfast and feeds his babies shrimp scampi.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

speaking of the red gorilla, if i have advice for anything it is not to bring small children or dogs to the tourney because the gorilla will eat them. i saw the gorilla at a bar this summer and in front of him were 40 cans of beer. he drank all 40 beers then promptly ate all the cans they were in. he then proceded to go to kings walk and shot a 3-under. im not sure if ive ever been as scared or as impressed at the same time

10 of the last 15? I think it's 9 of the last 15, which is still impressive but... it's a far cry from the '60s, '70s, and '80s when they won like 26 of 30 or something ridiculous like that. The rest of the pack has been catching up to them over the last 15 years and I suspect that in the future we will see more and more teams from outside of GF winning state titles. I'm sure in the not too far distant future we'll see GF teams winning on average 1 out of every 3 years, then it'll become one out of every 4, and so on. The GF hockey programs have been great for a very long time, and once you get to a certain point there isn't as much room for improvement. Hockey programs in other ND cities have made great strides over the years to narrow the gap, and the gap continues to get smaller and smaller every year. It's not that the GF schools are getting worse, it's that the rest of the state is getting better. The domination is nowhere near what is used to be. Anybody old enough to remember the '70s and '80s can back me up on that. Back in those days nobody even thought about the possibility of Minot, Grafton, North or South winning state. It was always "which one of the GF schools is going to win it this year?". Not so anymore, except for the stubborn GF people clinging for dear life to past glory. Their teams are certainly among the contenders, but they aren't the only contenders. That's the difference between then and now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Central in 95 and RR in 90 would make it 10... anyway, when examining the last 20 years, the first ten of that could be considered somewhat a dry spell for the GF schools, since only :D five of those 10 years a GF team won the state title. In the last ten years, a GF team has won it 8 times. If that pace keeps up, (and who knows if it will) that would be 24 of 30, which is damn near your 26 of 30 above, which you say was the pace the GF schools were winning at in the 60's, 70's & 80's. The trend for the GF schools to have success based solely on whether one of them wins the state title or not is going opposite of the way you're saying it is going. Based on your "lack of state titles proves it" logic, you're not making any sense.

It may be true that, competitively, the other schools in ND are catching up to the GF two. You certainly wouldn't get much of an argument on that fact. But you're not making your opinion based on that. You're comparing state titles, where the GF schools have clearly still been quite dominant.

That's my $.02. :huh:

From the lists posted, it looks like a GF school has won 4 of the last 5, 8 of the last 10, 10 of last 15, and 13 of last 20. Domination by the GF schools has been "over for a very long time?" :D If state titles is your criterion, think maybe you should re-examine the evidence...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's my theory on the state tournament and I am from the East.....Until someone beats Minot, they're the team to beat.  Everyone seems to be knocking the West because of how they've faired in the past, but until they lose, they're #1.  Central's got a chance, but they're going to need a quick goal against Minot to get some positive energy for the team.  Red River won't win it just for the simple fact that they don't want it as a team and the only reason they're even at the state tournament is because of some bogus penalties called by the refs(I was there).  They weren't the best team on the ice that day against North and shouldn't even be here.  Grafton and Bismarck are the sleepers in my opinion.  Grafton is a very solid hockey team right now that played South extremely tough in the East final.  If their one line can keep scoring and they get good goaltending, they got a shot to win it all.  Bismarck is in the same boat, even though they have 10 guys that have scored over 10 pts., they rely on their one line for the most part and their goalie, whos been solid.  But judging by the West final, the best they could hope for is another chance at Minot in the Finals.  Minot has beaten the quality teams from the East this year, so I think they get the nod right now as the favorites.  But they haven't played the East teams for quite some time and all 4 teams from the East are playing much better(maybe not RR) than they were around Christmas Time.  Let The Games Begin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I realize I'm just a squirt hockey coach, but no chance in hell is a western team ever favored to win the state tournament until a drastic change occurs. If you think Minot can run the table against Grand Forks Central (approaching 40 state titles), Grafton (2nd most appearances in tournament history), and either Red River (never missed the state tournament) or Fargo South (#1 out of a league with previous stated teams, your just a mental midget. I will guarantee Minot goes 1-2 at best this weekend, if they don't come talk to me while I'm taking first out of 80 at the flyer tournament.

I just have one question for everyone in here, who from the east has beat a team from the west this year? The east has had 5 chances and the only team to not lose was RR and they tied minot, i realize the east has bragging rights every year, and they deserve it, but show a little class and knowledge in your comments, south lost to bismarck, grafton got the crap kicked outta um by bismarck, and minot already beat central along with grafton this year. Do i think a west team will win it this year, probably not, but they at least deserve some respect, well at least minot and bismarck.

I just have one question for everyone in here, who from the east has beat a team from the west this year? The east has had 5 chances and the only team to not lose was RR and they tied minot, i realize the east has bragging rights every year, and they deserve it, but show a little class and knowledge in your comments, south lost to bismarck, grafton got the crap kicked outta um by bismarck, and minot already beat central along with grafton this year. Do i think a west team will win it this year, probably not, but they at least deserve some respect, well at least minot and bismarck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bismarck dropped a game to Mandan. All respect lost. West Fargo managed to even pull that one off. Minot is the only one who gets a thread of respect from me, and all they'd get out here is 4th.

In the end Eastern schools have won 40 state championships to the western teams 1.